• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Hang on to Wheeler, Harvey, Fulmer and Syndegaard
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • brianinwi

Can't believe people are talking about trading these guys already. Yes, our outfield s*u*c*k*s, but it's far easier to win with a weak outfield and a strong pitching rotation than the other way around.

I'll be steamed if they trade any of these prospects for someone like Upton. Completely the wrong direction, IMO.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547649.2 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • brianinwi
Upton is no Stanton, that's for sure.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547649.4 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • Gepett0

I'd be willing to part w/ a fulmer/flores package for upton simply bc we have a lot of pitching depth at that level b/t tapia, montero, and syndergaard...the more I think about it, the more I am against including Syndergaard in any deal for upton....but w/ a tapia/montero/fulmer, I think I would do it though I fully understand the hesitation on your part to include fulmer

if you could get upton for a package of montero/tapia, flores, and mejia/familia, though, would you pull the trigger?

• Reply to this Message
Message 547649.6 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • CHOOin2014

Upton, no. Stanton, YES.

He has 500 HR potential. Harvey, Syndergaard and Wheeler might be #1s, might be Generation K II. I'll take Giancarlo.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Can't believe people are talking about trading these guys already. Yes, our outfield s*u*c*k*s, but it's far easier to win with a weak outfield and a strong pitching rotation than the other way around. I'll be steamed if they trade any of these prospects for someone like Upton. Completely the wrong direction, IMO."<<<

I agree with you. We are building around young pitching, and I totally would not deal Wheeler, Harvey or Syndergaard at this point.

I might be willing to deal Fulmer if the right deal came up, but would only do so as a last resort.

I look forward to having a rotation of Wheeler/Harvey/Syndergarrd/Neise/Fulmer by the end of 2014.

As for Upton. I think he's talented, but overrated. I would not give up my best prospect to get him. I might give up Fulmer in a deal for him, but only as a last resort.

I'd still much rather go after Eaton - will cost less in talent and less money.

Edited 1/17/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

I think there's a very real possibility that Upton would put up the same numbers as guys we already have. The thing is, he would do it with more class.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • 86mex17
I agree, keep Harvey wheeler and syndrgaard at all cost .I like fulmer alot but I might include him. Flores mejia familla tapia montero etc. I would deal for him. Iam not blown away by upton but I like him. That goes for stanton too. I value pitching more than hitting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • pujols2010
Stanton is a young already proven beast. I would not give up the farm but he is certainly better than any of these guys so far..upton - no..but he is still very young
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
As we approach ST we will see if Arizona is really serious about making room for Eaton in their outfield. Upton with his $38 million due would be the player they deal. And if their asking price does come down the Mets make the perfect trading partner. Because they, even with Upton, would be less of a threat than say Atlanta. So if they trade him within the league the Mets do still have a chance without gutting the farm to do it. Especially since they would be giving Arizona salary relief by taking on Justin's salary.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • thagreat1
I agree with you on everyone except Fulmer (what has he shown that indicates he'll be a beast?)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • viper99

Mets need to stay focus and not trade high upside pitching since they are not winning anything this year.

AAA pitching could have Wheeler, Mejia, Famila this year. And as you mentioned, the lower levels are loaded as well.

I say let them develop because by the all star both Mejia and Familia could either be pitching with the Mets or be valuable trading pieces for outfielders. No need to rush into anything just yet.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • thagreat1
Yah still don't see what all the hoopla is about
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver

Fulmer has good stuff of his own, a power arm who can crank it up into the mid-to-upper 90s, and he has shown that in his first full season. He throws a hard slider along with it and he’ll work to develop a changeup. He has a bulldog mentality on the mound and goes right after hitters. Fulmer needs some polish, but if it all comes together, that power arsenal will look very good in the Mets’ rotation one day.

That is a very nice write up on a first year pitcher. And a nice line for his first stint in pro ball. And he is only 19 years old. You don't think that is solid 108 innings first year with 101 Ks.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • viper99

"I look forward to having a rotation of Wheeler/Harvey/Syndergarrd/Niese/Fulmer by the end of 2014."

How about Wheeler, Niese, Harvey, Matz, Syndergaard?

And a BP that has Mejia, Familia, Parnell, Mateo and other power arms?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • danthemetfan
The problem I see with the mets arms in the minors, is they are all right handed. One of them if not more will eventually get moved for something, because there is not room on the club for them all.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Gepett0

the hoopla is about him being extremely advanced, having one of the best fastballs in the system, a slider that could already be considered a plus pitch, and a better shot at being a mid to top rotation starter than any pitcher in our system not named wheeler or syndergaard

fulmer is basically right now more advanced than wheeler was at a similar age

• Reply to this Message