• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What 19 year old Prospect excites me?
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • The5Wright5Way

he's a corner outfielder. Last year in 65 games in the Dominican Summer league he hit .343/.500/.608 with a 1.108 OPS 10 HR, 18 2B, 12 SB, over 204 ABs.

He's a corner outfielder

His name is.... Vincente Lupo
His stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=lupo--000vic

Where do you think he'll start the season?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • TheChosen1
I say in Savannah
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • The5Wright5Way

.343/.500/.608

I was thinking Savannah with a quick move to Brooklyn. Maybe Brooklyn/St. Lucie?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • marvelousmarvin
I think they will keep the youngster out of the big city on his first time in the US. Savannah sounds about right for the whole season. If he does well, PSL in 2014
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • brianinwi
Lupo, Nimmo, Decerra = 2016 outfield?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

Savannah
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • The5Wright5Way
Could he go Savannah/PSL if he rakes?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Gepett0

Savannah is higher than brooklyn

the system goes DSL, GCL rk, App league rk (kingsport), NYPenn A- (Bk), Sally A (savannah) , FSL A+ (St Lucie), EL AA (bing), PCL AAA (LV)

he'll likely start in brooklyn but has a shot, w/ a strong showing, to advance to Savannah @ some point during the year

however, if he really shows advanced tools in minor league ST, they may elect to have him skip brooklyn so as to get a full season of play in as bk is a shortened season

a really aggressive path (which i doubt they pursue) would be start in Sally, move up to St Lucie at the break, break next year w/ AA and then AAA at the break, shot to earn a spot in ST in 2015 as a 21 year old

ultra conservative would be : stay behind for extended ST, spend the rest of the season w/ the cyclones, break camp in 2014 in the sally, spend 2015 in A+, spend 2016 in AA, spend 2017 in AAA, start 2018 on the big league roster (assuming he found success at all those levels) as a 24 year old

the path they choose will likely be somewhere in the middle and he will probably be ready some time b/t 2016 and 2017 as a 22-23 year old

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

'13. Savannah

'14. St. Lucie followed by Binghamton if he's great

'15 depends on '14, maybe Binghamton /PCL, Sept. callup (outside chance)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • govmule72
Why does the title of this thread seem a bit creepy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

Not to put a damper on things, but we've had several players put up great numbers in low A ball. St. Lucie seems to bring them back to reality.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Gepett0

yeah but everything ive read on this kid suggests that hes got some extremely impressive tools

he has a pretty high ceiling though hes probably going to be relegated to LF bc he doesnt have a great arm

but i mean the numbers he put up are pretty unreal....i mean a slash line of 343/500/608

i mean that is an iso slg of 265 and a walk rate of 17 %....to me, that walk rate is probably the most impressive thing about that slash line

of ALL prospects in the DSL he had the 7th highest ave, the highest ops, the 2nd highest slugging percentage, the highest obp, 6th in total walks, 2nd in hr, 8th in doubles, 2nd in total bases....and on top of all that, he stole 12 bases (though he needs to pick his spots a bit better as he only has a 63 % success rate)

and its not like hes old for the league...the average age in the DSL is 18.5 so he is basically the exact average age and probably had the most impressive season in the league ( a few guys compare but not many)....i would say right now hes gotta be a top 10 prospect in that league

sure, he may fizzle out...there is a huge gap b/t the DSL and the MLB...but that shouldn't take away from the impressive nature of what this kid was able to do this summer...i am very excited to see what he does next year in a stateside league....he could be a top 10 prospect in our system by this time next year...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
Before everyone gets too excited did you notice his fielding? With 88 chances in the outfield he committed 7 errors which is terrible for a corner outfielder. Our entire outfield made 10 errors for he whole season last year. Duda our worst outfielder had 4 errors in 178 chances. And had the worst fielding pct. with .977 and Lupo had a .920. Usually outfield prospects get better in the field first before becoming good hitters. Unless things change fast for him he looks like a DH candidate if he continues to hit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • metrebel

>> I think they will keep the youngster out of the big city on his first time in the US. Savannah sounds about right for the whole season. If he does well, PSL in 2014

No matter where the put him he's going to go through a culture shock. Most likely they will start him out in Kingsport, which is rookie league, Then more him to Brooklyn which is "A" short season. Then they will have to see how tired he is. He's never played the amount of games he would play in a full season of "A" ball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • AdrianMonk

Okay, sounds promising. I was thinking of guys like Nick Evans, Darryl Cecilliani and Cory Vaughn who all dominated low A ball.

Thinking about it, Kingsport seems the most likely initial starting point, with Savannah a bit on the aggressive side. With our normal progression, Las Vegas probably won't happen until 2015, and he might be a late 2015 callup.

Edited 1/18/13   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Wanna bet you will never hear about him in four years?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
That may be true but what harm is there in speculating since we don't in any way call the shots.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • viper99
Wasn't sure he was still talking baseball? LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Gepett0

actually thats not true at all

he is raw in the of but he easily possesses the skills to be an average to above average LF

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Gepett0

yes lets all disregard the kid who was arguably the most impressive player in all of the DSL last year bc it was simply the DSL

i mean no guys that dominate the DSL ever become top prospects, right? except you know, that one of our top 10 prospects was in the DSL just 2 years ago while 2 full years older than lupo

• Reply to this Message