• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Upton would be a good move cuz next yrs FA class is weak too
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • mets06ny
Just my opinion of course but the free agent outfield crop next year only has a couple good players. So you would figure those few will command big money and will be overpaid. We also have the chips to get Upton without giving up TDA, Harvey or Wheeler despite what some of you think.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • murphstates

The FA market has essentially been destroyed. No one let's young, productive players under 30 hit free agency anymore. If the decent outfielders who would be on the market next year have productive seasons they'll likely be traded or resigned by their current teams.

It's ironic, at exactly the time when the Mets appear to be rebuilding (although no fully committed), free agency has been diluted and the new CBA with hard slot bonuses and limits on international spending has made rebuilding infinitely harder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gomets66

. We also have the chips to get Upton without giving up TDA, Harvey or Wheeler despite what some of you think. >>>

what chips? dbacks dont need duda or flores. they have said they want young players close to or mlb ready. mets dont have much there when you take away the 3 you mentioned.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gomets66

It's ironic, at exactly the time when the Mets appear to be rebuilding (although no fully committed), free agency has been diluted and the new CBA with hard slot bonuses and limits on international spending has made rebuilding infinitely harder.>>>>

add in teams cant really stockpile draft picks anymore. under old system yanks would have gotten 2 1st rd picks and 2 comp picks for soriano and swisher. now they just get 2 comp picks. dont get other teams picks anymore. and they are planning an international draft.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

They might be interested in Niese. I'd be okay with Niese for Upton, but not Niese + multiple prospects for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • The5Wright5Way
Flores (3B) - they would want. Rafael Montero, Famelia, Fulmer would all intrigue them. Syndergaard too...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • mets06ny
We have plenty of good pitching prospects other than Wheeler and I'd think they'd take Flores in a deal whether they keep him or not. I'm just saying its possible if they are motivated to move him and nobody is blowing them away with offers or move on from him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • mets06ny
It can happen if the right deal is offered. Look at next years OF free agents then tell me its not worth a serious shot. I'm not one of these Upton lovers but he'd be a great fit with us at a comfortable salary.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gomets66

Flores (3B) - they would want>>>

why. they have a better 3B prospect.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • mets06ny
I just responded to that in another post. Matt Davidson better than Flores I dunno. Davidson a .266 lifetime BA in the minors compared to Flores .284. Both have pop and both are slow. Davidson 3 career stolen bases in the minors and Flores has him beat with a whole 14 haha. You're talking like he's a can't miss 3b of the future. I'm sure they would take Flores as part of a deal and see who emerges.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

I really don't think giving away 4-5 prospects is a good idea for us at this stage. We should be looking for trades that give us multiple chips, not the other way around.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547641.12 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • mets06ny
I agree with you the trade would have to be reasonable...but it would be nice to have at least one solid outfielder the next couple of years because unless we overpay next offseason we won't have any outfield help next year either. I think we all know overpaying isn't this teams MO. Whats funny is they have to know the outlook isn't good for outfield next year either so maybe they will use the same speech next year so they don't have to spend again!?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547641.14 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • mets06ny

I agree 100% he's not worth breaking the bank for. He is however worth a push considering next years FA class below. I agree Wheeler, Harvey & TDA can't be traded right now. A deal with Syndergaard, Flores + would be worth it IMO.

Left fielders

Jason Bay (35)
Endy Chavez (36)
Matt Diaz (36)
Raul Ibanez (42)
Reed Johnson (37) - $1.6MM club option with a $150K buyout
Austin Kearns (34)
Jason Kubel (32) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Nate McLouth (32)
Mike Morse (32)
David Murphy (32)
Xavier Nady (35)
Laynce Nix (33)
Martin Prado (30)
Ryan Raburn (33)

Center fielders

Alfredo Amezaga (36)
Coco Crisp (34) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Rajai Davis (33)
Jacoby Ellsbury (30)
Carlos Gomez (28)
Curtis Granderson (33)
Franklin Gutierrez (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Tony Gwynn Jr. (31)
Andres Torres (36)
Chris Young (30) - $11MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

Right fielders

Carlos Beltran (37)
Endy Chavez (36)
Shin-Soo Choo (31)
Nelson Cruz (33)
David DeJesus (34) - $6.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Chris Denorfia (33)
Matt Diaz (36)
Jeff Francoeur (30)
Corey Hart (32)
Xavier Nady (35)
Hunter Pence (31)
Ichiro Suzuki (40)

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/2014-mlb-free-agents.html#XYmdReuTDh4ic9Gl.99

• Reply to this Message
Messages 547641.16 through 547641.17 were deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
We will make a trade for him which is reasonable when Arizona realizes that they want the reduction in payroll more than what they get for him. At that point 2-3 medium prospects will be sufficient to make the trade.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547641.19 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • mets06ny
Most of us agree it would be nice to have Upton but only without giving up Harvey, Wheeler & TDA. Stranger things have happened. Some people don't want Upton and say Stanton is so much better which is true but that is beside the point. Stanton would cost Harvey, Wheeler & Flores just to get a convo started. If Upton could somehow be had without giving up any of those 3 then I think it'd be a great move but not everyone would agree. Guess they'd rather overpay for someone like Corey Hart next year. Woohoo
  • Reply to this Message