• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What is Bourn's asking price as of 1/17/2013
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • thebobymon
Has Boras yielded any ground or is it still 7 years?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • alfolerud
Any price is too high for the Coupons. They don't want to put money into the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Gepett0

the fact is that we have the 11th pick in the draft....which is the BEST pick to not be protected....we have more to lose than any other team in signing bourn bc of this....i personally wouldnt do it, esp when bourn will only want a 1 year deal or a long term contract.....so you either over pay or you give up the 11th pick in the draft for a one year rental

this wouldn't be an issue if somebody thought logically and realized that it should be the top 10 picks that ARE NOT CARRY OVER's FROM THE PREVIOUS YEARS DRAFT...it makes such logical sense...the 10 worst teams in baseball have their picks protected....not rocket science.....but no, we get scr*wed bc the pirated decided not to pay the guy they drafted....honestly, i would propose a change that, if you are a top 10 pick and fail to sign your pick, you are slotted in at 11th the following year

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

Yeah, I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sheadro
Last week Boras said something like, "who cares what time dinner is (the begining of the season) when you have the steak (Bourne)." that doesn't sound like a man conceding any ground. Normally you could say that's all agent talk, but this is Boras...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gomets66
last year boras got fielder a pretty nice deal the end of january. some team will give bourn a nice deal before ST.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • skorpio520
doesnt matter.they arent given up the draft pick
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • MetObserver
And I don't believe they should. Bourn is not as good as advertised in my opinion. He was traded a few times while under control of teams. There has to be a reason why none were very excited about retaining him. Atlanta had some good production from him last year and aren't making a big push to get him back.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520
I want Aaron Judge,or atleast an outfielder with the same type of potential.If they draft someone,I dont mind them not signing Bourn.If they draft someone then dont sign them,or draft below value to avoid paying.If they draft another first,third,pitcher.
To me it was A waste of A pick and id rather have Bourne.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
If the best player available at the time they draft is a pitcher I have no argument with that. Because every team is always looking for pitching first hitters second. So there is always trade value if you have a glut of good pitching prospects as they reach the upper grades of the minors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520
true enough in your logic.and i wont argue it except to say...
our current left fielder is A first basemen and our second basemen didnt even have a position until 2 years ago.we are in desp need for outfielders.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
It is hard to draft by position unless the player is a standout college player and can be moved through the system quickly it doesn't really make sense. Since the needs of the Major league club changes so quickly. Drafting someone to fill a need in 3-4 years is a mistake if during that time period you trade for an immediate answer filling that need.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • metrebel

>> And I don't believe they should. Bourn is not as good as advertised in my opinion. He was traded a few times while under control of teams. There has to be a reason why none were very excited about retaining him. Atlanta had some good production from him last year and aren't making a big push to get him back.

Bourn would be a good fit for the Mets. His game is about speed and defense and the Mets certainly could use some speed in the outfield. He had a great 1st half last season, but he gave the Braves nothing with his bat in the 2nd half. According to the Atlanta papers Boras did sit down with Wren at the end of the season to talk about resigning Bourn. Supposedly what Boras told Wren was that he wanted a contract for Bourn that would be for more than what the Braves paid Upton. That wasn't going to happen. Wren hasn't written off resigning Bourn, but he's waiting for the price to go way down. I don't know what Wren's thinking is, but I think the odds of the Braves resigning Bourn are very low. If Boras is still looking for the same contract he told Wren he wanted it seems no other team is willing to pay that much for Bourn either. As usual Boras has over valued his player. I wouldn't give up the pick for him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver

Trouble is that no matter what his price comes down to you will have to give up that pick unless you have 1-10 in the draft. Bourn is 30 and that is a bad age to be giving a long term contract to someone whose chief resource is speed and defense because with age those qualities would be the first to be compromised. And with a .365 slugging percentage he has about as much pop as Castillo did so with decreased speed he would become just about worthless.

Written on baseball reference. com

Similar Batters through 29
View Similar Player Links in Pop-up
Compare Stats to Similars
Max <Flack (957)
Brett Butler (954)
Dave Collins (953)
Roger Cedeno (951)
Brian Hunter (948)
Albie Pearson (948)
Solly Hofman (946)
Johnny Bates (945)
Bob Bescher (945)
Rudy Law (943)

Not too impressive and due to start getting worse. Bad move for the Mets anyway you look at it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • metrebel

>> Trouble is that no matter what his price comes down to you will have to give up that pick unless you have 1-10 in the draft. Bourn is 30 and that is a bad age to be giving a long term contract to someone whose chief resource is speed and defense because with age those qualities would be the first to be compromised. And with a .365 slugging percentage he has about as much pop as Castillo did so with decreased speed he would become just about worthless.

Giving a player who is 30, and whose game is based on speed, a multi year deal is a very dangerous contract. Next to giving a pitcher a long term big money deal it's the most dangerous contract a team can give out. He did hit more HRs last year than at any time in his career. His got a bit more pop than Castillo. Castillo for the most part was a slap hitter. Bourn is for the most part a line drive hitter. He would be a perfect fit for the Mets for the right contract. If you could get him for three years it's alot less dangerous. No team is going to pay him more than the Braves paid Upton. He will get decent money for a longer term than three years, but whoever signs him could very well end up with a bad contract. The Mets are better off taking the pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • Kranesback
I'm sure Boras would ask the Mets to pretty much match the contract they gave Wright and then maybe come down slightly from there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • Gepett0
actually there are alot of rumblings that they will accept a 1 year deal to try again next year before accepting a non-elite contract (which it looks more and more unlikely that he will receive) bc they think he can get that type contract next season w/ a strong showing this year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • 13shadowcat13

Atlanta had some good production from him last year and aren't making a big push to get him back.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's because Bourne DISAPPEARED the whole second half last Year! If teams hold firm...Boras and he WILL HAVE to lower their demands.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • Kranesback
That could work out for us, but he probably still wants around $9 million for a year which is out of our price range. This is Boras after all.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • marvelousmarvin
More importantly, its still lose a first round pick and your slot money allocation. That's what's keeping Bourne unsigned.
  • Reply to this Message