• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Daniel Murphy likes moves
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • JERRY
Daniel Murphy told Adam Rubin that he likes the Mets moves and feels that this is a good team for 2013. He says that the Catching is improved & Collin Cowgill is a good move & good player for CF. He thinks the infield is great & that David will be good.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547618.2 was deleted
  • 1/16/13
  • AdrianMonk

Things are looking up!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • alfolerud
He has no clue what he's talking about. Needs to ShutTFU, hit the gym and stop eating unhealthy snacks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • cholula
It sounds like he's taking interview lessons from David
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"Needs to ShutTFU, hit the gym and stop eating unhealthy snacks. "

Why? Because you don't like what he's saying?

Maybe you need to ShutTFU.

Plus, he's 10 times the athlete you are, and you have no idea what his diet is.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • JoseJose
Plus the Shake Shack is improving their cheese options! Yay 2013!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • thagreat1
I agree with everything except the last part unless you met him in person you have no clue how athletic alfo is or isn't
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 86mex17
Haha
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • danthemetfan

Did he seek Adam Rubin out to say this, or was he asked? Im guessing he was asked, and no player on any team would say anything but the corporate line. It is why they are taught to say the cliche lines. If he says anything but what he said, it becomes a huge S%^ storm, the media would never let go.

So maybe you should get a clue about what is going on, and what he is talking about. These players get asked questions, and they have to have answers. They are not in position to speak their mind, if it differs from the ownership.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • viper99
He thinks the IF is great? Did he realized that he plays the IF for us?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • alfolerud
Exactly...our IF is solid....not great.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Daniel Murphy told Adam Rubin that he likes the Mets moves and feels that this is a good team for 2013. He says that the Catching is improved & Collin Cowgill is a good move & good player for CF. He thinks the infield is great & that David will be good. "<<<

That is pretty much what we'd expect any player to say certainly. Hope the moves work out.

Edited 1/16/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jsmet

He has no clue what he's talking about. Needs to ShutTFU, hit the gym and stop eating unhealthy snacks<

I agree. I like Murphy. But I think he should hit the gym or do something. He is a good hitter but he can be better if he gets a
A liittle stronger.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Murph is not too picky. He's our Mr. Sunshine.

Edited 1/16/13   by  marvelousmarvin
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • mysticpiazza

You put it as if he went on some rant about how great they'll be. I've read several articles from different sources of the interview. Nothing he states rings disingenuous or towing company line, IMO.

Here's some of his quotes:

Regarding the core infield: Murphy pointed to the Mets’ infield as a reason to be positive, noting, “David Wright was probably the best third baseman in the big leagues and Ike Davis played four months of the season and still hit 32 bombs and almost drove in 100. I really like the core we have in the infield.” (Agreed. Infield is the least of our worries.)

Regarding improving roster: “there’s still time” for the team to beef up its roster before spring training starts next month.“I know Scotty H. (Hairston) is still out there,” Murphy said Wednesday while helping with continuing Hurricane Sandy relief efforts at the Church of the Nazarene in Far Rockaway. “I’ve talked to Chris Young. I’ve sent him text messages. I think there’s still definitely some help out there. I feel like as an organization we don’t want to quite get sukked into maybe some of the prices that are going on right now for outfield.” (Don't necessarily agree, as time's running out, but I'm of the belief that 2013 is a test year for unproven talent anyway so unless it's a long term star acquisition who cares who's playing in 2013?).

Regarding Dickey trade: “It’s tough to see R.A. go, but I like the pieces we got back for him,” Murphy said. “You’re not going to replace a Cy Young Award winner. But I do think with the catching help we got — not only immediately with John Buck, but maybe even not far away in (Travis) d’Arnaud, and then (Noah) Syndergaard, he’s on the way.” (Agreed. Didn't want to see Dickey go, especially as a result of not having enough money, but the trade value return was as good as we could have hoped for in prospects).

Regarding Cowgill/Outfield: “Then again, some of the question marks that everybody has is the outfield. But I’ve heard nothing but good things about Collin Cowgill. I got actually a text message right after he [got traded] from Andy Green, who used to be in our organization. He said that we’re going to love this guy -- that he comes to play hard every day. He said he’ll really fit in well in the clubhouse. While it may not be big-league free-agent splashes that we’ve made so far, I think we’ve added some pieces that are definitely going to help us.” (He doesn't know him, he's only heard good things. Same here).

Regarding rotation: “We forget that Dillon Gee missed three months last year. He missed everything after the All-Star break. And he’s healthy now. You start slotting him in that No. 4 or 5 slot, I think the rotation starts looking pretty good.” (Somewhat agree. Mets still take a hit with Dickey gone)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Gepett0

. Mets still take a hit with Dickey gone)

true, but it also gets a boost w/ gee for a full year (instead of some of the guys that replaced him) and harvey for a full year (instead of batista) and i feel like wheeler will be up in may bc they wont want him in vegas for very long and they want him and tda to stay together

i think the guy they are talking about bringing in will be in for about 4-5 starts in april and then will be insurance for johan and gee

personally i feel like we have the makings of a solid rotation & a solid infield (including catcher)....our issues are BP and OF right now

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Remember86
You can't really take players on their word in interviews like these. As others have already said, players are taught to speak the party line. Anything else would get them in a mess of trouble. Whether Daniel Murphy actually thinks these things or not is very open for debate. I do find his comment about the Mets infield somewhat comical.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547618.19 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • burningmyeyes
And why do we care what a scrub like Murphy thinks?
  • Reply to this Message