• 1/16/13
  • fargol
Someone else signed Hairston?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547606.3 was deleted
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"I'm just jumping ahead true, but it probably will happen that way."

I'd like Hairston back, but I'm not sure 8 million for a 4th OF'er who can only really hit righties and who is barely average defensively is worth getting into a tizzy over.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • gilforhof
I have to agree. I do like Hairston and I wouldn't mind seeing him back. He's a quality bat... off the bench. However, he's average to below average as a defender and is definitely not an everyday player. At this point, the outfield is in a shambles. We can hope, pray, ask the baseball gods, conjur up a genie or whatever else to put the mojo on Duda so he becomes a hitting and fielding machine. I don't think any of that is going to work. CF and RF is in the same mess. Adding Hairston to the mix doesn't make it all that better, not for 8-10 mil anyway.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • skorpio520
8 million for a fourth outfielder,bench player is a bit much.mets are offering one year ,2 million.he wants 2 years 4 mil per.
meet in the middle.2 years 6 mil.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • gilforhof
Thats a realistic offer for Hairston. He's definitely not worth 8-10 mil, but as a 4th OF, thats more than a fair offer. He wants to play everyday. On any other team thats not going to happen, with the Mets, he'll have the opportunity to play more than he ever has before due to our OF being a complete mess.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 4545_ajd
And when the Mets do up their offer and sign him the same posters will be complaining how they bid against themselves.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • grod_3
The problem is, he's not a 4th outfielder on the Mets. Do we have another outfielder on the roster who has hit 20 HRs in a career, much less a season?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • skorpio520

how the h#ll do you know what id be complaining about or not complaining about? If i didnt like that contract i wouldnt of suggested giving it to him.
Its negotiating ,mets wanna pay one thing,he wants another.so you meet him half way. the only way its bidding against yourself is if another team wasnt in on him.and the yankees are still (though not as much as before )

that being said,i dont really want hairston back.he just happens to be the best thats still on the market.id like to see what the nats want for Morse.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • gilforhof
Very true. Can't win no matter what. We are between a rock and a hard place due to our currnt OF. As I said, I do like Hairston....... as the bench player he is. He may get alot of additional playing time if he comes back to the Mets because of that reason. Thats not because he is that good, but due to the situation of our OF. Two years at 6 mil is a very fair offer to him. If someone else is willing to sign him for more and he takes it, I wish him the best always. As a fan I want a contending team in 2013 (competing would be nice also). As a realistic fan I know thats not going to happen. I want to see progress though and once the season starts we'll see where we are.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • skorpio520
nah,the guy cant lefties worth snot.hes a 4th on any team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • 86mex17

In this case I dont think unaffordable. Just not worth it. IMO

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hairssc01.shtml

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • MetObserver

If you were offered a Chevy that was 13 years old and had 170,000 miles on it for only $8K would you buy it? If you didn't would it be fair to say that it was unaffordable to you? Or would you just say that it was not worth that price?

Just because you don't buy something doesn't mean that it is unaffordable.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547606.15 was deleted
Recent Discussions
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:57 PM
Favorite Easter Basket Candy
Latest by metman79 - 11:54 PM
ANYONE EXCITED FOR MLB THE SHOW ON PS4?
Latest by bonillasonlyfan - 11:54 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by bmcneely - 11:50 PM
Wilmer Flores with 7 RBI already