• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Alderson's plan?
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed

It's now three years and we are still rebuilding, cutting salary, and have been worse each year under Alderson. He did absolutely NOTHING this winter to improve the team, unless you consider trading a 20-game Cy Young phenom for a prospect catcher with injury problems something great, like some people are trying to push.

So, how long-term is this plan? Is three years enough? Five years? And what is the goal again? Has there ever been one? When do we say that Alderson has failed?

My view: Alderson was brought in to cut salary and make the Mets respectable, but not winners. And he has achieved the first, thanks to encouragement by the penny-pinching Wilpons. Respectable? C'mon!!

The Coupons will have to sell this team in another few years because of declining attendance. They will learn that cutting costs is not a formula for winning nor for rebuilding a fan base, that is quickly disappearing. I guess another year at the beach listening to music is what a lot of us will do rather than attend Mets games and hand over money to this sorry lot of owners and leadership.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • metsfan541
There is no reason Adlerson couldn't have picked up some more players for this team and not interfered with the rebuilding process. They offered 1 year $2M for Hairston. Even if the Mets don't want to go out two years, offer Hairston more money for one season to get somebody in here. I don't understand why we are discuuing trades with AZ for Upton when we won't give up the prospects. OFs like Young and Hairston, starters like Saunders or Marcum and a reliever or two added to what we currently have would enable us to at least compete. Now is not the time to make the big splash, but now has been the time to make the smaller acquistions to give us average talent at a few positions for depth.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"It's now three years and we are still rebuilding, cutting salary, and have been worse each year under the Wilpons."
Fixed.

Also, Aldersen came to the Mets after the 2010 season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"Aldersen came to the Mets after the 2010 season."

And yet the Mets are still the same old joke.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • DFAB
well...the common denominator is still the wilpons...once you change that, the Mets have a chance to win
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"And yet the Mets are still the same old joke.

And you blame Alderson for that?

LOL

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Not as a whole, but I don't give him a pass unlike others.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"Not as a whole, but I don't give him a pass unlike others. "

At this point I give him roughly 2% of the blame for not signing players who wouldn't have helped us much anyway.

As time goes on, and the kids get older and hopefully the Wilpons open the purse strings, his accountability goes up.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • skorpio520

"It's now three years and we are still rebuilding, cutting salary, and have been worse each year under Alderson. He did absolutely NOTHING this winter to improve the team, unless you consider trading a 20-game Cy Young phenom for a prospect catcher with injury problems something great, like some people are trying to push."

im waiting .next year all of omars contracts are gone and the mets have prob among the lowest payroll in the mlb. next offseason if he makes the same kind of moves then i agree with you. as of now,im not for him,or against him.what i will say though is i wish he made more moves to put a better 2013 product out there ,its safe to say most of realize this was a transition year though.

"So, how long-term is this plan? Is three years enough? Five years? And what is the goal again? Has there ever been one? When do we say that Alderson has failed?"

again,im giving him one more year to show he wants to make an impact.

"My view: Alderson was brought in to cut salary and make the Mets respectable, but not winners. And he has achieved the first, thanks to encouragement by the penny-pinching Wilpons. Respectable? C'mon!!"

cutting salary is definet.i saw that coming.i dont think the wilpons are penny pinchers but they keep to keep theyre nose out of baseball buisness,thats wht you hired sandy and deposta for.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed
Agree!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed
Very fair points. Alderson is not necessarily the problem. The Wilpons are certainly more to blame for the debacle the Mets have been the past 10-15 years. Agree: Let's give Alderson one more year and see what happens.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed
Very fair points. Let's give Alderson one more year and see what happens. If we finish as bad as in his first full years, then he's on the frying pan too. But as others in this string and thousands of other strings have noted: Alderson is not necessarily the problem, the real issue is ownership.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Kranesback
The long term plan is that Sandy will hope that Wright can have a comeback year and be respectable enough to draw a few thousand fans while the rebuild (trial and error) continues for another 5 or 6 years (while I do expect some of these prospects to become stars, I am realistic enough to realize it will probably take them 2 or 3 years in the bigs to hit their stride).
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547599.14 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • burningmyeyes
Sandy is doing as he was told. Cut salary and dont worry about any else! The Wilpons are holding on by a thread and hopefully when park is empty next year it loosens thier grip! Although I doubt it because they are getting 50 million from MLB which the obviously will not put back into this team. Think about this Sandy has not signed a free agent for over 1.9 mil a year since he is here! That is rediculous! All these cant miss prospects we are hearing about. They better hope they make it. Then again it dont matter to the Wilpons and long as cost are cut Dont worry fellow Met fans we wont have to see Jeffie boy for awhile as he only shows his face when there is a real signing!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • archgraham

Not Sandy's fault that the 3 Stooges ran this franchise so deeply into the ground from top to bottom that it will take him 5 years on the job to turn it around. Look at how long it took Frank Cashen to do the same thing.

And by the way, the last few years I have enjoyed the extra beach days that I have allocated while not giving a penny to the Wilpons - nothing wrong with the beach at all.

If and when they put a product on the field that is worth paying those obscene ticket prices I'll be back. In the meantime, they can take it out of Jeffy's allowance.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • johnyringo
its Okay it only took the nationals 8 years to build a good team the way the Wilpons are going about it......sure they have had some great luck (harper especially that we might not get) but they look to have a good team now
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • fargol

"There isn't a plan beyond the Coupons keeping the team, isn't that obvious by now? "

No, it's not obvious.

It will become more "obvious" if 2014 begins and we're still in the same leaky boat.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547599.19 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • fargol

"It's been obvious to me for a long while, if others need time to catch up, that's fair enough. "

Well, aren't YOU the condescending one!

• Reply to this Message