• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why weren't the Mets in on Choo
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Choo was traded to the Reds and all they had to give up was Drew Stubbs, Didi Gregorius, and Jason Donald. Are you kidding me?! I bet half of you never even heard of these guys. You're telling me we couldn't top that offer with our great and improved farm system. Are you kidding me?!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • metsicle

Why should the Mets bring in yet another left handed hitter?

Mets need to do something, but not bring in Shin Soo Choo

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Who cares? At the end of the day he's going to put up 20+ home-runs 80+ RBI's hit .300 with excellent defense. Your going tell me he's not an improvement over strikeout Kirk.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • AdrianMonk

That is a pretty impressive haul for only Choo.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • stearnsy12

i would imagine it was because Choo will make around 8 million this year and then become a Free Agent after the '13 season...if he has the season you say he might (and that sounds reasonable) then his FA price would be out of our range

so basically we'd be sending a package to Cleveland for one year of Choo

we're not contending next season so there really is no reason to bring in a guy for one season at the cost of any prospects

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"we're not contending next season so there really is no reason to bring in a guy for one season at the cost of any prospects"

A. He was not going to cost us any significant prospects.

B. I thought 2014 was the year the "prospects" will be ready and they would be ready to compete. Now it's pushed back to 2015?

You guys have no idea what your talking about. Choo would help the Mets now and beyond and your afraid to give up minimal prospects for him because you think it would hurt the "future"? Are you kidding me?!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • knarf0516
Stop making sense, you're going to hurt somebody.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"At the end of the day he's going to put up 20+ home-runs 80+ RBI's hit .300 with excellent defense."

So what will his numbers be playing in CF haf the year?

He hit 22 once, and 20 another time. His line was 16/67 w/.283 BA.

Do you know what they wanted from the Mets?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol
"A. He was not going to cost us any significant prospects."
LOL how could you possibly know that? Teams look at what we have in the minors in the pitching department and I bet their eyes light up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"So what will his numbers be playing in CF haf the year?"

Much better than the garbage we have out there.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"LOL how could you possibly know that? Teams look at what we have in the minors in the pitching department and I bet their eyes light up."

Hahahaha that doesn't make any sense. The Reds gave up NOTHING for him. They gave up C prospect. You just answered your own question.

We keep hearing how the Met farm system has great pitching depth, yet we don't give up some of those pieces to acquire proven talent.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"Much better than the garbage we have out there. "

You realize that's saying very little and cannot be a reason to sign a player.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • MetObserver
And Stubbs who is not a prospect but a good CFer with speed. Duh!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"Hahahaha that doesn't make any sense. The Reds gave up NOTHING for him. They gave up C prospect. You just answered your own question. "

Maybe that's all Cleveland wanted.

And don't you think since they traded him for such "garbage", that speaks volumes about Choo's perceived value?

"We keep hearing how the Met farm system has great pitching depth, yet we don't give up some of those pieces to acquire proven talent. "
I hope you realize the flaw in that statement (the last part).

The idea is to BUILD around pitching. Yes, they have depth ON PAPER. Why trade pieces away when you're not certain who'll develop into a quality starter, and who won't?

It's like you have 8 lottery tickets, and you know that at least one of them should win, so you randomly trade them away for mediocrity.

IF this is the Mets plan, to wait on the kids a year or two, I'm fine with it. They will NOT fix this team in the short-term.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
Did you just Stubbs was good? Are you kidding me?! He's a 4th outfielder AT BEST! Speed? Who cares?! that doesn't win you games. The Reds were celebrating when they got rid of him. He wasn't liked by anyone over there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • MetObserver
Yet we don't even have a Stubbs to trade to anyone. So who do we trade for a mediocre outfielder for one year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"The idea is to BUILD around pitching"

They are! They are building around Harvey, Niese, and Wheeler. That's the goal for them. The other guys are really far away and are still raw. You are relying too much. Not all of those guys are going to be good and not all of them will be pitching with the Mets. You have to bring in talent by selling in your best area. How do you think the Mets got Darling and Sid Fernandez? Oh Yeah!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • fargol

"They are! They are building around Harvey, Niese, and Wheeler."
You can never have enough pitching. And maybe, after next season, they'll look at trading some of the "lesser" prospects for talent (better than Choo).

"How do you think the Mets got Darling and Sid Fernandez? Oh Yeah!"
Who was calling the shots back then? Oh Yeah!!!

I do not want to trade potential prospects for a guy who'll be a FA in one year, is getting 8m, and likely will barely hit 15 HR's playing at CF for a full season.

btw, in 7 seasons (I won't count the 1st) he's played two full seasons (150+ games), and 1 season of 144. All the others he never broke 100 games played.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • dvsol

<<You're telling me we couldn't top that offer with our great and improved farm system. >>

Why should Cleveland benefit from the Mets' "great and improved farm system"?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"I do not want to trade potential prospects for a guy who'll be a FA in one year, is getting 8m, and likely will barely hit 15 HR's playing at CF for a full season."

Well then guess what, you will never win with that type of mentality. Most of these prospects will never live up to their potential and most of them we may never see consistently. And how do you know Choo will only 15 Hr at Citi? Is this what it's become now? We can never bring in a good offensive player because were afraid his home-run total will dip? Who cares?!!!!! It's not about home-runs, it's about driving in runs.

The fact is that we bring in Choo and it makes us better and we still keep Wheeler, Harvey, Niese, and Syndergarrd. They don't lose anything.

Your assessment on this is completely wrong.

• Reply to this Message