• Mets not happy with Hairston's demands
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • jsmet
He wants 8 million for 2 years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • murphstates
He won't play for food? $4 million a year is too much for a real live major league outfielder? God help us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
And some people think they aren't cheap.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jsmet
They see him as a part time. 4Th outfielder. Part time 4th outfielders do not make 4 million
Dollars a year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • murphstates
They see him as a fourth outfielder when he's better than every other outfielder on the roster? What does that make the rest of the outfielders, sixth outfielders?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • inthebook
Mets can't afford $4M outfielder who hit 20 home runs? And I know many of you will tell me he's a bench player, but at this point, he's our best power hitting outfielder. How do you replace 20 home runs for less than $4m? I guess we should just punt on 2013. But Mets will still charge the 3rd highest ticket prices in baseball for 2013.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetsMan

>>>>>>He won't play for food? $4 million a year is too much for a real live major league outfielder? God help us.<<<<<<

This is beyond sad....

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • JoseJose

"What does that make the rest of the outfielders, sixth outfielders? "

Awesome stuff. You can't make this up. Maybe they'll offer 3 mill plus unlimited Shake Shack soda refills.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol
Where did you read the Mets aren't happy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • njmets80
too much $, maybe we should sign Ludwick or Gomes instead. yup, that will work out well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 86kid

>>>"He won't play for food? $4 million a year is too much for a real live major league outfielder? God help us."<<<

Given that no one else around the league is seemingly beating Hairston's door down to pay him that type of money, It would seem to me the rest of the league doesn't think he's worth that much either. I'm guessing that the Mets are content with waiting Hairston out under these circumstances.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • DFAB
That is MORE than reasonable....if Hairston signs for 2/8m somewhere ELSE, this is 10000000% on the wilpons....shocker...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jsmet

They see him as a fourth outfielder when he's better than every other outfielder on the roster? What does that make the rest of the outfielders, sixth outfielders

No hes not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jsmet

Where did you read the Mets aren't happy?

On the radio

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 86kid

>>>"That is MORE than reasonable....if Hairston signs for 2/8m somewhere ELSE, this is 10000000% on the wilpons....shocker..."<<<

No other teams appears to be chomping at the bit to sign Hairston to this type of contract, so it think the Mets are fine with waiting him out, just as other teams are waiting him out. If he ends signing elsewhere, then he does. I would like him back, but I'd still sleep okay nights if he's not a Mets in 2013.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jsmet

They see him as a fourth outfielder when he's better than every other outfielder on the roster? What does that make the rest of the outfielders, sixth outfielders?

He is average to below average as a defender. And he cant hit right handers.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • DFAB
I have no problem with them waiting to see if they can sign him for a bit cheaper....but considering he would be our ONLY major league OFer, he is worth 4m/yr...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • murphstates
What outfielder on the roster is better than Hairston?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • murphstates
It's also on CBSsportsline.com.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • murphstates
I guarantee you he will get $4 million per year from someone.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Joey Gallo
Latest by thebobymon - 6:52 AM
All Kirk does is swing and miss
Latest by sb51 - 6:51 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr
Latest by joebatboy03 - 6:47 AM
Random Letters Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:46 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:44 AM