• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• John Rocker Still intelligent
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/rocker-guns-prevented-holocaust-article-1.1240551

And making deep thinking look great as long as you don't think and it isn't deep.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • PigIron
Say what you want about Rocker but one of the first things the Na zi's did was disarm the public so that they were the only ones with the guns. That made their genocide all that easier.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • JoseJose
That is a super simplistic view of what resulted in the Holocaust.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • kaztast1c
I swore for a second that your thread title HAD to be a headline for The Onion
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ExileMetsFan
Actually, they didn't disarm the entire public
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • PigIron
Actually, they did.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
Yet France, Poland, Norway, Denmark and all the other countries Germany defeated were armed. So I doubt anyone in the country of Germany itself being armed would have made a difference.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
I doubt the even the Onion would find that funny
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • kaztast1c
Didn't read the article, just the title. "John Rocker Still Intelligent" is something I thought I would only ever read in The Onion
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
I'm sure his Mom probably said that once. Had to be before he started speaking though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • PigIron
Maybe not. I don't necessarily agree that the Holocaust would have been prevented but there may have been a different outcome had the populace been adequately armed. Also remember the Warsaw Ghetto uprising where a poorly armed Je wish resistance was crushed by Na zi's in the largest revolt by the Je ws in WWII. If the Je ws were adequately armed there may have been a different outcome.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ExileMetsFan
No, they were selective about it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ExileMetsFan

German Firearms Act of 1937:
"No civilian is to have a firearm without a permit and permits will not be issued to [persons] suspected of acting against the state. For Je ws this permission will not be granted. Those people who do not require permission to purchase or carry weapons [include] the whole SS and SA, including the Death's Head group and officers of the Hitler Youth." [Kates, Restricting Handguns pg. 185, 1979]

Adolph Hitler:
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so." April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitler's Tischegesprache Im Fuhrerhauptquartier 1941-1942, [Hitler's Table-Talk at the Fuhrer's Headquarters 1941-1942], Dr. Henry Picker, ed. (Athenaum-Verlag, Bonn, 1951); The original source is notes taken by Hitler associate Martin Bormann, a document called Bormann-Vermerke.

Heinrich Himmler:
"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA-- ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State."

1) There was NOT a total ban on weapons.
2) the Na zi party was a popular movement; Hitler was ELECTED.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • JoseJose
Plus the situation surrounding and leading to the Holocaust is irreleveant to our situation.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • PigIron
OK. I understand what you mean but you actually make my point that only the Na zi's had the guns.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ExileMetsFan
Actually, no. All non-Jewish Germans could get them. Je ws and people in the captured territory could nto. So no, people had the ability to intercede, but did not. Je ws were outnumbered, and facing a POPULAR movement against them. They might have been able to take a few with them, but to think they could have stopped it is incorrect.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jsmet

Actually, no. All non-Jewish Germans could get them. Je ws and people in the captured territory could nto. So no, people had the ability to intercede, but did not. Je ws were outnumbered, and facing a POPULAR movement against them. They might have been able to take a few with them, but to think they could have stopped it is incorrect<

You are right . How could 500, 000. J ews beat 60 million. Germans?

• Reply to this Message