• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets would have never signed Soriano if we had the Nats team
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
The Wilpons just don't care about winning.

Edited 1/15/13   by  alfolerud
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd
Just like they didn't sign K-rod after coming off a season where he set the saves record.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • DFAB
I think the wilpons do CARE about winning....they just aren't committed to winning....and probably never will be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud

You are not a Wilpon supporter and you didn't come flocking to their defense just now.

I meant that the Wilpons would not have signed Soriano if we had Storen on the team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • danthemetfan
As 4545 said, they got Putz and Krod in the same offseason. They were both closers. It didnt work out, but it was a move to create depth. They also did give Krod a ton of money... i guess they werent too cheap that year either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • johnyringo

Putz was broken when the Mets signed him and they knew it...

Omar told him to keep it quiet....then he went to the bagel shop and proclaimed the BP "fixed"

It all came out after he left....

Putz was a total debacle and embarrasment to the Mets.....

They signed a guy they new was broken just so they could sell the idea of a "fixed" BP to the fans....not one of their finest moments I would'nt be proud of it if I was you.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
Koolaiders love all of the Mets shortcomings. Only fake fans like it when the Mets are winners.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • danthemetfan

a lot of the "fake fans" that are complaining now, were complaining in 2006 and in 2000 during the season too. The ones that complain will complain no matter what. I am sure they are the same as the Alabama fans that are upset they lost to TA&M. Nothing is good enough.

In DC, they are ecstatic about the team, and that they made the playoffs. There were not complaints on how they lost to St. Louis. That would not be the same here. If the Mets did what the Nats did, you would be in an uproar, even if the Mets were poised to make a better run now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • Gepett0

thats entirely untrue to the point that you just sound ignorant

putz was injured during the WBC AFTER the mets signed him

but yeah go spout off some more like you know something

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • Gepett0

can you imagine if the mets were in the thick of a playoff race (and then in the playoffs) and we shut down harvey like they did strasburg?

it would be nothing but " this is an utter embarrassment to baseball...the shilpons clearly have no commitment to winning....they want to lose so that they can justify cutting payroll more next year...blah blah blah blah blah"

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
The WBC excuse has already started. I bet you koolaiders will use it when Wright has a terrible year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 86kid

>>>"As 4545 said, they got Putz and Krod in the same offseason. They were both closers. It didnt work out, but it was a move to create depth. They also did give Krod a ton of money... i guess they werent too cheap that year either. "<<<

Aside from the last few years in the wake of the Madoff mess and other various folly, the Wilpon's have almost always been among the Top 5 teams or so in terms of payroll, as well as re-investing their profits back into their team. They have almost always given their GMs leave to go after a top names when they felt they needed to.... be it via free agancy or via trade.... a KRod, a Wagner, a Johan, a Beltran, a Delgado, a Pedro, a Glavine, a Piazza...etc
They haven't made good decisions all the time, but money had never been the reason for them not having more success.

Edited 1/15/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
And you profess to know what the owners would or wouldn't do in an entirely different circumstance. Where is this crystal ball of yours?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • Gepett0
what excuse? he got hurt in the WBC...thats a fact
the poster was suggesting that omar signed him knowing he was hurt....but he was not hurt until the WBC...im not excusing his bad play or saying that, if he hadn't been hurt, he would have been great....but the fact is THAT is when he got hurt and to suggest otherwise is simply incorrect
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • JoseJose
Putz was injured before the MEts got him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • JoseJose

"They also did give Krod a ton of money... "

And later they dumped him to save money.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • hammr1952
he knows everything and he will let you know that lol.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • danthemetfan
when the team wasnt good anymore...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • Gepett0

Again, no he wasn't

he was injured in the WBC ...which was before he ever threw a pitch for the mets but after they signed him

it was a big issue at the time bc it raised the question of whether or not teams should keep their star players from participating...but keep repeating yourself bc im sure thats bound to make it true

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • Gepett0

u can argue that bc of the bone spur, he would have gotten hurt anyway but the fact remains that when he reported to the WBC, he was still throwing 94 mph....after it was done, he couldnt break 90

thats what happens when you pitch w/ a damaged elbow w/o the proper ST

• Reply to this Message