• Rich get richer: Nationals sign Rafael Soriano
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • KB24NYM
Dam.n those guys are stacked
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
People on this board are saying they got lucky and they didn't truly rebuild.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • KB24NYM
I'm inclined to agree with those people...getting two slam dunk draft picks, consecutively, NEVER EVER happens. Ever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

And what about Jordan Zimmerman, Ian Dezmond, Gio, Danny Espinoza, Drew Storen, Ross Detwiler?

Did they get lucky on that?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd
Lol you talk about those players like they are hall of famers.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547582.6 through 547582.7 were deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

"Like you're talking about strasburg and harper... "

I still have no idea what you are referring to.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • DFAB
it's amazing what happens when you spend on the draft AND make good trades AND spend money on FA's....doing EVERYTHING you can to improve the team is what builds a championship caliber team....NOT doing ONE thing and not the others...(Mets)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jgrangers2
You forget that the Nationals spent 5 years at the bottom of the division without making any real attempt to be competitive. It helped that they were absolutely abysmal when the best pitching and hitting prospect of a generation were about to enter the draft.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • hammr1952
sorta like strawberry and gooden falling to us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol

"You forget that the Nationals spent 5 years at the bottom of the division without making any real attempt to be competitive. It helped that they were absolutely abysmal when the best pitching and hitting prospect of a generation were about to enter the draft. "

Why people ignore that is beyond me.

And as some people say about "no-brainer" moves, grabbing Strasburg was about a no-brainer as it gets.

Was Werth the first big signing they made?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jgrangers2
Outside of trading for Soriano, I believe so.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jgrangers2
Exactly. Sometimes, being terrible isn't the worst thing in the world. It's much better than spinning the wheels of mediocrity for long periods of time.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • DFAB
Right...they WERE bad for a while and didn't spend much at all. They were also a small market team. Since they beefed up their farm a bit, they steadily increased the payroll every year and have been signing FA's with no problem. The Mets now have a very good group of prospects and should be spending to acquire some FA's to fill some of their many holes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol

"Outside of trading for Soriano, I believe so. "

I thought so.

So other than their first year when they managed to finish .500, they've been bad and worse than bad every year up to 2012.

If people think the Nats are such a brilliant organization, why'd it take so long to get good?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jgrangers2
Who did the Nationals spend money on before Werth? They waited until those prospects were major leaguers to start spending and filled their holes with free agency.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • thebobymon
They just need to do one more thing
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • metsheart
"Was Werth the first big signing they made?"

Believe so. Was signed for 2011 season (signed Dec 2010). That was AFTER yr #4 of their rebuild. In yrs #2 & #3 Nats finished DEAD LAST in ALL of baseball. In yr #4 Nats finished last in NLE (for 3rd time in 4 yrs -- once in next to last in yr #1 of rebuild).

But somehow Mets are supposed to be competitive already after just 2 yrs of rebuilding.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jgrangers2
I'm not sure a cardboard cutout of a naked Ted Lerner would work
  • Reply to this Message