• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• You realize the Mets aren't "rebuilding"
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

I laugh at you people when you say "were building for the future", "our pitching is going to be nasty", "2014 and 2015 will be the time when the Mets be real contenders"

Are you guys out of your mind? These are the same exact people who said the future is bright after 06 and look what happened.

You want to know what the plan is? BUILD THE CHEAPEST TEAM AS POSSIBLE! That is the plan for this organization. We are the only team to not sign a legitimate mlb free agent. Let me tell you something, Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler aren't going to grow into Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan next year. Pitchers take years to develop and we know the Mets are really great at screwing them up.

The Nationals are a true rebuilding team. They traded away some of their great young players to get Gio, they took a big risk on Werth, they traded Ryan Langerhans to get Moorse, they signed Dan Haren for 13 million dollars! Are you kidding me?! Oh, and they acquired Denard Span from the Twins to fix their lead off hole. Then you look at the players they developed from with in. THAT is REBUILDING.

What do the Mets do? Cricket, cricke, cricket..... NOTHING! And some of you think the future is bright because they have a couple of young pitchers. Give me a break!

• Reply to this Message
Message 547580.2 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • RobfromLI

The Nats aren't in rebuilding mode, they're in competing mode. They have the established homegrown talent as well at the veteran homegrown talent in place and MLB ready. After that they brought in some talent via FA and as you said, plugged a hole in the OF.

You don't "plug holes" when you're rebuilding.

The Nats aren't hoping to win something down the road here, the Nats want to win this year, and for the next five years.

You're right in thinking that pitching can take years to develop but what are the Mets supposed to do? The Nats had the minor league depth to make high end trades, we don't.

Do you know how the Nats got that minor league depth?

By years of rebuilding.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

"You want to know what the plan is? BUILD THE CHEAPEST TEAM AS POSSIBLE! "

How does signing a player to a 8 year 138M contract fit into building the cheapest team possible plan?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"The Nats aren't in rebuilding mode, they're in competing mode."

That is what I said.

"You don't "plug holes" when you're rebuilding."

Yes you can actually. It's not all about drafting.

"The Nats aren't hoping to win something down the road here, the Nats want to win this year, and for the next five years."

Yeah, no sh*t. And it's from great rebuilding.

"You're right in thinking that pitching can take years to develop but what are the Mets supposed to do? The Nats had the minor league depth to make high end trades, we don't."

Exactly my point. It's because the Mets are cheap and the Nationals aren't. That's the difference.

"Do you know how the Nats got that minor league depth?"

Great drafting and scouting. Just like it always is.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • elsid1986

By years of rebuilding

Well since according to some here we are only in year 2 of the rebuild does that means you are ok with another 2-4 years of losing on the hope and prayer than we compete by 2016 or so?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol

"Great drafting and scouting. Just like it always is. "

Not to mention last place or near last place finishes for a long time.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"How does signing a player to a 8 year 138M contract fit into building the cheapest team possible plan?"

That was more of a PR move than a baseball move. Fred knows if they didn't get a deal done they would never hear the end of it.

Oh, and what else did they spend money on? Collin Cowgill? Yeah, cheap

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol

"Well since according to some here we are only in year 2 of the rebuild does that means you are ok with another 2-4 years of losing on the hope and prayer than we compete by 2016 or so? "

Not okay with losing; never okay with it.

But the reality is what the reality is.

If their rebuilding, it will take at least 2 years considering how awful pretty much all aspects of this team were (and still are).

If I truly believe they're not, then why would I (or anyone) continue to come to this forum? I'd be very unhappy and coming here would just make it worse.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • RobfromLI

"Well since according to some here we are only in year 2 of the rebuild does that means you are ok with another 2-4 years of losing on the hope and prayer than we compete by 2016 or so?"

Do I really have a choice?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

"That was more of a PR move than a baseball move."

Ok so now building the cheapest team possible is secondary to getting good PR?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol

"Do I really have a choice?"

LOL like I said, the reality is what the reality is.

Some people act as if we can "accept" it, or not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"Not to mention last place or near last place finishes for a long time."

Wrong. It's not like that. If you don't have a good scouting department and still finish last every year, that doesn't always mean you will get a great player because of a high draft pick. The Nationals have a great scouting department.

Look at the Pirates. They have been garbage for two decades and are still trying to rebuild.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

"If you don't have a good scouting department and still finish last every year, that doesn't always mean you will get a great player because of a high draft pick. "

Yea, amazing how they found those diamonds in the rough like Strasburg and Harper.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats
You're an idiot if you didn't think they weren't going to sign Wright. What else have they spent big money on? Why did you think they traded Dickey? If you don't think they aren't cheap then you are lost. Dude, the Mets are having trouble getting a deal done with Scott Hairston. That should tell you something.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547580.16 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

"You mean like Frenando Martinez who you were are all creaming yourselves over 3-4 years ago? "

I'm confused, how does Fernando Martinez have anything to do with what I posted?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

Yeah, how about Jordan Zimmerman, Drew Storen, Danny Espinoza, Ian Dezmond, Ross Detwiler?

Thought so.

Don't give me the luck factor.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver

The pirates are a different animal. They are rebuilding but only have a $54 million dollar payroll and $30 million of that comes from revenue sharing which the Mets pay not collect. They just don't have the ability to generate the revenue needed to complete the rebuild. In NYC it is possible to generate that type of revenue if the team is exciting and young.

By the way that team you say is willing to spend, the Nats, had a payroll last year less than the Mets.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • RobfromLI

"Yes you can actually. It's not all about drafting."

It's one or the other, you rebuild or your compete. You don't bother doing both at the same time. The key to long standing success is that once you get into competing mode you continue to develop (and many time get lucky) minor league talent. The Mets are no where near ready for that and it's not Sandy's fault. If anything he's done nothing but help rebuild the farm.

"Yeah, no sh*t. And it's from great rebuilding."

And how was their record while they were doing that great rebuilding? They stunk. That's what happens to teams that rebuild. Why is it any different for the Mets?

"Exactly my point. It's because the Mets are cheap and the Nationals aren't. That's the difference."

You don't think adding a quality young SP and top C prospect is a step in the right direction? Did you expect him to get top prospects at every position in the minors?

"Great drafting and scouting. Just like it always is. "

And years of suffering and being the butt of every NL East fan's joke.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Joey Gallo
Latest by thebobymon - 6:52 AM
All Kirk does is swing and miss
Latest by sb51 - 6:51 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr
Latest by joebatboy03 - 6:47 AM
Random Letters Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:46 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:44 AM