Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• METS KEEPING AN EYE ON WEBB
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • saztastic2012

Mets ‘keeping an eye’ on RHP Brandon Webb
January 15th, 2013 12:02 pm
The Mets, Phillies, Braves and Marlins are all “keeping an eye” on RHP Brandon Webb, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.

Michael Baron, MetsBlog.com:

Webb hasn’t pitched in the Major Leagues since 2009 thanks to arm problems, but he is a former Cy Young Award winner and was a dominant sinkerballer prior to that season. He has historically been equally as effective against both left-handed and right-handed hitters and kept the ball in the yard thanks to his outstanding sinker. But how that effectiveness might translate today would largely depend on how healthy he is and how much he has left in the tank. If the Mets were to sign Webb, he certainly could not be depended on as a consistent presence in the rotation, let alone for the kind of innings and production he provided in the past.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547579.2 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
The Mets have their eyes on a lot of players, the only thing they don't have is checks for them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
Didn't Pavano go 4 years without pitching when he signed that big contract with the yanks. God I loved that.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547579.5 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
That's what I am saying. They watch and watch and then when it comes to giving a contract, unless these guys take a minor league contract, they don't sign them.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547579.7 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
Much like they did with Young? Capauno? or have you forgotten them?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • DocK1985
They should kick the tires and see if Kevin Brown is coming back also. Ha!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
Guys that accepted minor league contracts or low dollars. They have their eye on Brian Wilson, but unless he accepts a minor league contract he will play somewhere else. Same as anyone else they are keeping their eye on. That is my point. They will not sign anyone that gets an offer from anyone else.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • mysticpiazza
Agreed. It's not like the Mets are the sole team in on some best kept secret. If any of these low cost/high risk guys are remotely decent again, odds are the Mets will be outbid by other teams anyway.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547579.12 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
Were they outbid for Cappy or Young?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • nym698641
no and they weren't bid against either. Once Cappy had a good year for us they let him go, because they couldn't pay him or didn't want to. As for Young they got him twice and now maybe a third time because no one else is offering anything.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
No. He pitched every season in the majors since 1998. Check your facts before you clog this forum please.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
I you want to count 17, 0, 2, 7 pitching in every year then great he was a stud for the yanks. Great return on their money he won 9 games in 4 years.
And by the way while you checked those stats to be accurate did you miss the entire 2006 season because he did.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • mysticpiazza

How many Cy Youngs do Cappy and Young have again? Webb was one of the best pitchers in baseball before he got injured. Neither Cappy nor Young ever came close to the stats he put up 2006-2008.

In all likelihood he's washed up, but if the Mets plan on stockpiling starters for ST review at little cost then I'd certainly look at him. (Heck, why not invite everyone's favorite promising yet never healthy pitchers Mark Prior or Rich Harden too?). But I suspect the only way the Mets end up with Webb it's because the rest of baseball has already decided to walk away, NOT because they outbid anyone else.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol

"In all likelihood he's washed up, but if the Mets plan on stockpiling starters for ST review at little cost then I'd certainly look at him."

As would I, but nothing guaranteed. But that won't happen since I'm sure at least one team will offer him a multi-year guaranteed contract.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • viper99
Mets are keeping an eye on everybody. That is the problem. Maybe they should just sign somebody instead.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • elsid1986
When they are done keeping an eye on him. they will kick the tires
  • Reply to this Message