• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• This is how Mets Grab a WC spot
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • goetzcougar34

In no way is this post claiming that this will happen. I say the WC spot because the Nats are literally filthy good. Ok, so here we go:

Catcher:
Buck: 7 Hrs 31 Rbi 245 avg (Buck is much better than anything we have had simply because he can put the ball out of the park, these numbers arent a full season as he will give way to D'Arnaud in May)
D'Arnaud: 15 hr 55 rbi 295 avg

First Base: Davis: 36hr 112rbi 285 avg
Second Base: Murphy: 12hr 80rbi 305 avg
Short Stop: Tejada: 4hr 52rbi 290 avg
Third Base: David Wright: 29 hr 115rbi 309 avg

OutField
Cowgill: 13hr 56rbi 280 avg
Duda: 26hr 102rbi 278avg
Brown: 11hr 48rbi 270avg
Baxter: 9hr 51rbi 280avg
Nuiwenheis(SP): 16hr 72rbi 282avg
Hairston?: 21hr 65rbi 275avg

Pitching:
Santana: 15-7 3.21 era
Harvey: 14-8 2.90 era
Niese: 16-8 3.15 era
Gee: 13-9 4.00 era
SP + Wheeler in August: 10-6 4.00 era
Bullpen (Ugh):
Francisco: 3.00 era 35 saves
Parnell: 2.70 era
Byrdak: 2.70 era (Lefties hit .200 against)
Famila: 3.00 era
Mejia (maybe start) 3.2 era

This does not include any acquisitions. Some of these stats seem impossible, some are reasonable. Again I dont think these things will happen but its what im rooting for. Im a realist and I know this is going to be a long year but im also a diehard and praying for a miracle. I DO think 2014 is going to be a legit contending year

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd
The team you described is a 100+ win team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • fargol
Well, unless I'm misinterpreting it, you have almost 400 RBI's coming out of the outfield. Now other than what you have projected for Duda, none of those are outrageous taken individually.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • murphstates
I won't completely rain on the parade, but with the exception of Wright you're basing it on every player in the line up and rotation having a career year and playing well above their talent level in many cases.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • brianinwi

I think your ERA for Francisco, and power numbers for Murphy, Brown, Duda, and Nieuwenhuis are completely unrealistic. Even if everything else you project comes to pass (which I admit is not outside the range of possibility), that's probably not enough to make the playoffs.

Nats are unreal, the Phillies' starting pitchers may have enough in the tank for one more serious run, and the Braves are a very competitive team. That's just in the East.

But hey, hope is free. Miracles do happen in sports.

Let's Go Mets!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 86mex17
I was gonna say find doc brown. Jump in the time machine. Go three seasons in the future.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 86mex17
Believe me I want them to compete and win. It's just with this ownership it looks like we're on a five year plan.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • mysticpiazza

I'm going to simplify the possibility of a WC spot without going into elaborate stat predictions, since the majority of the ones listed are far fetched, IMO.

Consider how strong the Mets played last season prior to their collapse after the All Star Break with a team that most likely played over their heads. Now consider that a red hot Wright pretty much carried the team offensively (with lesser contributions from Tejada and Murphy), since Ike, Duda, Bay, etc. did little, and the starting pitching was solid the first half. (Mets were 43-36 by the end of June - 7 games above .500). The bullpen was consistently lousy. So what needs to happen is:

- Wright will not carry the team again with a career year performance the 1st half. So deduct production from Wright compared to last year. BUT, if he's at least solid and consistent in the .300 range with his usual/better power and RBI chances AND:

- Ike and Duda will not struggle as poorly as they did last year 1st half. For now, I'll assume that both will be improved (more so with Ike), hopefully supplying whatever additional production we lose with Wright compared to 2012.

- Mets lose starting pitching production due to Dickey gone. (One wonders how many games the Mets might have lost in 2012 if he wasn't in the rotation, as they seemed to figure out how to win games when he was on the mound, compared to other starters). However, they (presumably) gain back Gee, Harvey (late addition in 2012), and possibly Santana, with (Wheeler arriving after All Star break?). If the rotation can at least stay respectable we can stay in the hunt IF:

- bullpen HAS to be improved from 2012. This might just be the biggest assumption here.

So, in summary: improved consistent performances from Ike, Duda, bullpen, while other positions have to at least remain respectable. (Tejada, Murph, rotation). Thus, if someone's struggling, others need to pick up the slack to compensate so it's not all or nothing when someone goes down or slumps. Lots of assumptions, obviously, but this team DID compete last year pre-All Star break and despite several players not contributing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • ewok54
I like it. Hope you are right. An outfield with 400 rbi's and a rotation 30 games over .500 would be awesome. May be a stretch but a refreshing outlook on 2013. Would be as exciting as '69 Miracle Mets. Nobody believed in them either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

Just totaled it up and that is 839 RBI between 12 players, the most RBI any entire team had last year was 780.

Remove the pitchers records and just go by the ERA and the offensive stats, if all that happens forget the WC and forget the Division, Mets would be challenging the 2001 Mariners record of 116 wins.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
So why aren't you calling this guy clueless. God forbid anyone with a realistic view of this team opines, you are all over them. You should be much more aggressive in batting down these embarrassing clown projections.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 4545_ajd

"So why aren't you calling this guy clueless."

Because he starts off his post by saying.

"In no way is this post claiming that this will happen."

I don't think any of the individual stats he posted are impossible or even improbable, the likelihood of all of them happening though is very improbable.

The point I disagreed with was in this fictional scenario where all those things came to fruition they would be MUCH better than a WC team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
Alfie just wants to drag you to the dark side. He is getting lonely there. Has he asked you yet if you are a snazzy dresser. Because if you aren't you just wouldn't fit in his little world. Oh and you don't drive a chevy do you?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
Everyone is on my side now. There is near unanimous consent that we will win at most 70 games.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • 58pwrhtr
The OPs avatar is the cover of a video game. Thats all you need to know about the insane numbers he listed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • MetObserver
Does that make you happy? Are you so bereft of hope that you must just wallow in your sorrow to be satisfied. Well I don't care what you or your ilk say I will hope for a win every day during the season. I will look forward to each and every game with optimism. And I will revel in each win and be saddened by every loss. But always know that there will be another opportunity tomorrow. And if the season is over there will be another one next year. For it is my team. And any lamenting that I do will not change a thing so I am resigned to root for whomever we have playing for us once the season starts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • goetzcougar34
58pwrhtr judges the quality of peoples posts by the avatar they made when they were 15 years old...thats all you need to know.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • hammr1952
your surely are off your meds. stick to fashion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • alfolerud
If you think we will win over 70 games after losing RA, then you should go on some meds.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • hammr1952
ok sunshine.
  • Reply to this Message