• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 2009 World Baseball Classic killed our dynasty
  • To:All
  • 1/14/13
  • 4pac

I will never forget this. I think this is a waste for players...they will only get hurt...its just not normal.

I hate that D. Wright is playing this year, however, I am glad that he is the only Met participating.

Wasn't Reyes hurt there in 2009???

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • nym698641
I don't remember Reyes being hurt, but I do remember it was the end of Oliver Perez.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547563.3 was deleted
  • 1/14/13
  • 4pac

I remember that we had lots of guys there that year...I think Johan Santana went tooo. F-mart is another name that comes to mind...wasn't JJ Putz there tooo???

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • 4pac

I just checked...Beltran and Reyes were both hurt in May of 2009...one can think that the WBS may have been a contributing factor in their errors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • knarf0516
So you consider one division title and two September choke jobs to add up to a dynasty?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • nym698641
The Mets had the most players playing in the 2009 WBC
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547563.8 was deleted
  • 1/14/13
  • nym698641
The chocking dynasty. We haven't choked since.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • brianinwi
Not re-signing Chad Bradford and Darren Oliver, finding no replacement for Roberto Hernandez/ Duaner Sanchez, thinking John Maine and Oliver Perez were legitimate starting pitchers and relying on geriatric cases for second base and left field were what killed the Mets' dynasty.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • 4pac

Well...we were doomed to start with.....

We only had D. Wright and J. Reyes as prospects....and NO pitching prospects....Perez and Maine came via trade and were not super-prospects.

Most teams start a dynasty with 7-10 core players....we did it with a huge free signing (Beltran) a trade (Delgado) and 2 prospects (Wright and Reyes).

This time...we have more prospects....Murphy, Davis, Wright, and 3 golden pitchers, Harvey, Wheeler and Syndergard.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • danthemetfan

Correct me if I am wrong... Reyes tore a hamstring, or his calf running to first in LA, in May. The fact that he was playing baseball in March does not really matter, right? If it were a stress injury, then he would have just gotten hurt in June or July. Beltran also got hurt when he slid into the wall to make a catch. How did the WBC cause that? You also forgot Delgado got hurt in 2009 too. He had a bad slide and hurt his hip - in May. Once again, it must have been the WBC. DW got beaned.... because of the WBC. It all makes sense.

and, there was 2007 and 2008... maybe Sanchez's taxi cab accident in 2006 was cause by the WBC too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • Gepett0

putz was hurt in the WBC

perez never got in good shape before the wbc and was ineffective; many put his later struggles on a phantom injury that this may have led to

beltran has arthritic knees - nothing more, nothing less

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • MetsMan
Question: how many championships do you have to win before they are declared a dynasty..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • 4pac

20 years ago i would have said 3 championships. However, in todays day and age, back to back trips to the postseason would constitute a dynasty.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • danthemetfan
so how does your thread title make any sense?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • JoseJose
Getting "bored with winning" killed that "dynasty".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • dvsol
What killed our dynasty was Duaner Sanchez getting hurt in that taxi cab accident in Miami in 2006.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • eastvisitr
A dynasty? Well, just for humor I'd say losing game 7 in 06 killed our "dynasty", since you have to win championships to become one and we haven't been back to the postseason since.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • cholula
Look at the bright side...Teixeira and Pettitte are both going this year.
  • Reply to this Message