• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 2013 Mets offense comparable to 2006 Mets
  • To:All
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1

With the exception of CF Beltran and SSReyes this years offense has great potential to be the dynamo that they were 7 years ago. (wow has it really been that long).

1B Ike Davis=Carlos Delgado
2B Daniel Murphy> Jose Valentin
3B David Wright> David Wright 06
C Travis D'arud & Buck> Paul lo Duca & Ramon Castro
RF Duda> Endy Chavez (not defensively of course)
LF Cowgill And Baxter = Shawn Greene

Every position may or may not play out just like that but it should be darn close. And come to think about it our starting pitching very well may trump our 06 team as well. LGM

Edited 1/13/13   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547542.2 was deleted
  • 1/13/13
  • RobfromLI

Well it's not like Tejada is a black hole at short ... I'm hoping he improves a bit this year with OBP and SLG.

Of course those 41 HR in CF ... yeah ... kind of hard not to miss that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
I don't see him replicating what he did last year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • Robert
You shouldn't be drinking in the morning?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
Everything I said is certainly feasible. You can't deny this
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • Robert
This might be the biggest koolaider post of all time. Pay no attention to the 41 hrs in cf that are not here. Plus Ike will never be Delgado.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
You can't see ike hitting 30+ Homers with .265 avg..really?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • Robert
You mean 38 and 114 in this lineup. Not a chance!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
He hits behind Murphy and Wright..they get on base fairly often I see no reason why he can't get 100+ rbis and low 30s in Homers
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • Robert
So you are saying this years lineup can be as dynamic as 06. Which statistically could be considered the greatest single season lineup in the history of the franchise
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
Maybe not as dynamic see how we're missing the likes of Reyes and prime Beltran but we can be formidable
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • nvmets10

"With the exception of CF Beltran and SSReyes"

That's kind of a big deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
We make up for it in pitching
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • fargol
Optimism aside, Valentin in '06 came almost out of nowhere and gave us good offense AND unexpectedly solid defense.

Edited 1/13/13   by  fargol
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547542.16 was deleted
  • 1/13/13
  • Remember86

I have no idea what you're talking about. Firstly, you preface your comments by saying that except for the absence of Beltran and Reyes this year's offense has the potential to be the dynamo they were in 2006. That's like taking Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams out of the 1997 Yankees offense and saying their offense should be comparable.

Jose Reyes, for all is injury issues etc., was our leadoff hitter. As of now, we don't have a leadoff hitter as dynamic as him in the lineup. When he got on base, he was an immediate stolen base threat. Batters after him tended to get more fastballs. It made everyone's lives easier. Carlos Beltran supplied power, speed, defense and a nice batting average. We don't have anyone in the lineup like that right now. Fact is, a lineup isn't just some happenstance thing you put together like a Sunday pickup baseball game. The better teams have a lineup which has most of the necessary parts. And when your lineup is missing two guys like Reyes and Beltran, you're missing vital parts to what made that 2006 club as good offensively as it was. The prescence of BOTH Delgado and Beltran is what helped Wright have such fine offensive numbers. DO we have that kind of one two punch in the middle of our lineup to made Wright the force he was during the years of two Carloses? At this point, the answer is NO. So, I think it's premature to say this year's Wright will be better than the 2006 version.

Secondly, I see alot of people penciling in numbers and expectations onto Travis D'Arnaud. Let's not forget, he's a minor league prospect as of now. We don't know if he'll produce as Paul Lo Duca did in 2006 or not.

Duda is horrible defensively and is questionable offensively. I think it would've had to remain to be seen how good Endy was offensively, but he was excellent defensively. Good defense is a hallmark of good teams. Our defense the past few years has been towards the bottom of the NL. Having Duda and Murphy out there on defense again in 2013, won't place the fear of God into opposing batters.

If you were to say 2007 Valentin is worse than Murphy, I would've agreed with you. But Valentin gave the Mets alot in 2006, so I can't agree there either.

You say our starting pitcher may trump our 2006 team. Maybe. But you left out the bullpens. If 2013 is anything like our bullpens SINCE 2006, we know which team's bullpen will be better. And that difference has made a HUGE difference, especially in the two years following the year we made a trip to the NLCS.

Edited 1/13/13   by  Remember86
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
Great points but we did acquire green in 06 in August. Washed up nonetheless
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547542.19 was deleted
  • 1/13/13
  • thagreat1
True but our offense aside from those positions are on par and our pitching should be better. Are bullpen and bench are our main issues
  • Reply to this Message