• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• M's offer for Upton could lessen his chance of being dealt
  • To:All
  • 1/13/13
  • stearnsy12

the Mariner's offer for Justin Upton was rather shocking in regards to the amount of young talent they were willing to give up,i do NOT think Upton is worth that package of young players at all..

the problem for Kevin Towers is now twofold:

1)time is ticking and he's got a player that he's been openly trying to deal still on his roster and may have to send two young promising OF prospects (Eaton and Pollack) back to AAA because he's got no room for them and a glut of OFers and teams know he wants to make a move

2)and in a less obvious obstacle to a deal Towers will be using the Mariner's offer as a yardstick by which he measures the offers of other teams for Upton....MLB seems to be shocked by what the M's offered and i'm wondering if Towers will get anything that even remotely approaches that deal. The question is will Arizona's GM be able to separate himself from the offer the M's made enough to recognize a fair deal when he speaks with other teams or has Seattle "ruined" his judgement when it comes to Upton's worth?

Sandy should lay low but be in radar range of Kevin Towers as something has to give here and whether it's for Upton or Eaton it's possible the price might come down some on both of them,particularly Eaton

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • gomets66
it could be kubel that gets dealt cheap since he and upton have been the 2 dback outfielders mentioned as available this offseason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • stearnsy12

that's certainly possible but we (or any other team) would have to be careful with Kubel because i believe there's no question hitting in Arizona at that stadium would be much different than hitting at Citifield and his 30 hrs would probably become 20 hrs. Any offer made to the D-Backs should be based on that kind of productivity keeping in mind his salary...

that's not to say that Arizona's price tag on Kubel would be viewed the same it's just that a team has to be wise when and if they make an offer for him

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • gomets66
i am not saying mets should get kubel. just that kubel and upton have been the only 2 dback outfileders mentioned as available. seems they want to keep the young, inexpensive ones. plus to match up with dbacks it would probably take pitching from the mets. they dont need duda or flores, both of whom keep getting mentioned in trades here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • stearnsy12

i wonder what Towers will do if he doesn't get a deal he likes for Kubel or Upton,i suppose he'll just keep Eaton and Pollock in the minors for now and hope Upton and Kubel play up to or exceed expectations and somehow increase their trade value some more

MLBTR has the Braves lying in the weeds regarding Upton and they have enough young pitching to entice the D-Backs

an outfield of Heyward,Upton,and Upton would be very athletic and good offensively and defensively as well

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • edmet
good thoughts. i think they have to move upton now, but if they dont i would be good with pollack (eaton better still) at a lesser cost. get the keeeohbassa (sp?) cooking!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • stearnsy12

teams like the Braves and maybe the Rangers although they've said they've "moved on" from Upton could be players and if the Rangers offer Olt they'll be ahead of us in that department

and while i think Upton may be out of our range as far as the price of prospects we'd have to offer maybe Eaton or Kubel's price comes back to us

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • 86kid

>>>"the Mariner's offer for Justin Upton was rather shocking in regards to the amount of young talent they were willing to give up,i do NOT think Upton is worth that package of young players at all.."<<<

I do not think there is any question that the M's were overpaying for Upton. They were likely overpaying in terms of what they hoped he would become, rather than what he's been, because he hasn't been that impressive to this point. His career numbers average out roughly to .278 BA, .357 OBP, 20 HR, 80 RBI, 20 SB... that is not worth giving up several of your best prospects for,

>>>"the problem for Kevin Towers is now twofold:
1)time is ticking and he's got a player that he's been openly trying to deal still on his roster and may have to send two young promising OF prospects (Eaton and Pollack) back to AAA because he's got no room for them and a glut of OFers and teams know he wants to make a move"<<<

Towers is open to making a move, if the package is right for him, but he's under no pressure to do anything. He can keep the kids in AAA all year, and have his 4 veteran outfielders here all year. All of them are under team control at least through 2014 - even Kubel, who the DBack have a team option on for 2014. So, he can move Kubel in July, or next Winter, or even the following July. As for Upton, his name has been publicly out there for years, and he knows it and has dealt with it for years, so I don't see there being any special pressure on Towers to move Upton now that this deal has failed in public.

>>>"2)and in a less obvious obstacle to a deal Towers will be using the Mariner's offer as a yardstick by which he measures the offers of other teams for Upton....MLB seems to be shocked by what the M's offered and i'm wondering if Towers will get anything that even remotely approaches that deal. The question is will Arizona's GM be able to separate himself from the offer the M's made enough to recognize a fair deal when he speaks with other teams or has Seattle "ruined" his judgement when it comes to Upton's worth?"<<<

Well, to this, I recall reading reports and quotes from other baseball executives around the league saying that Sandy was asking for way too much for Dickey. Then later, as we know, one of those team's caved, and gave Sandy the type of package he was looking for. While I think Towers demands are way too high for an overrated complimentary player like Upton, I do think he's wise to ask for the moon, because apparently someone was willing to give it to him. I tend to think there is likely another team or two out there might give it to him too. But if not, he is not in a position where he is forced to accept it, so he is in the cat-bird set for the time being.

>>>"Sandy should lay low but be in radar range of Kevin Towers as something has to give here and whether it's for Upton or Eaton it's possible the price might come down some on both of them,particularly Eaton"<<<

Yes, it might come down some on both. But then again, if it does, the Mets would then likely have more teams to contend with at the lower price. I still think our best chance in this is Sandy biting onto Tower's leg like a pitbull, and hanging on until they can work out a deal for Eaton or Pollock, or both LOL

Edited 1/13/13   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • 86kid

>>>"teams like the Braves and maybe the Rangers although they've said they've "moved on" from Upton could be players and if the Rangers offer Olt they'll be ahead of us in that department"<<<

I agree.

>>>"and while i think Upton may be out of our range as far as the price of prospects we'd have to offer maybe Eaton or Kubel's price comes back to us"<<<

Maybe we can try for both Eaton and Pollock in one deal... We'd have two young outfielders to start for us this year. We could even kick back a young outfielder or two in the package to them. Nimmo, or Puello ? ... along with some other pieces that they can use to help them now, and down the road. Fulmer or Tapia ? Parnell or Familia or Mejia ? Flores ?

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • stearnsy12

apparently Jonah Keri from Grantland feels the same way about Upton (late last night on MLBTR) and feels the D-backs have lost leverage when it comes to dealing him

Upton is described as "maddeningly" inconsistent in his article and compares the Upton trade situation to trades of the past including Seaver's....

interesting read

he describes the Arizona OF logjam as being self-inflicted and mentions a few reasons why Towers may be so anxious to rid the team of Justin's talent

• Reply to this Message
Message 547540.11 was deleted
  • 1/16/13
  • stearnsy12
HOPEFULLY Sandy still has Arizona on his radar as you start to wonder if Towers is feeling a bit of squeeze as ST approaches....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • MetObserver
We aren't spending anything ever. It is the owners that have to spend the money and they don't have money that they can splash around. So must fans know that a lot of money will not be spent so it is a waste of time to be posting about spending.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 6:16 PM
JSRanger: Fielder a Princess?
Latest by jsmet - 6:15 PM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by ellenbronx - 6:15 PM
Wright is clutch
Latest by jsmet - 6:13 PM
April trades like this are rare especially for the Mets
Latest by truthhertz - 6:13 PM