• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• It's Tuesday. It's Howdy Doody Time!
  • To:All
  • 1/8/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Tuesday once again. Who might stop in and spread good cheer?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • Haldane
Howdy Doody?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • gilforhof
A puppet in the great 50s, hung out with Buffalo Bob Smith, Clarabell (later became Capt Kangaroo), Chief Thundercloud and the rest. He was a wooden hero for the ages. The Peanut Gallery was the place to be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Buffalo Bob Smith, a contemporary of Paul Winchell. Both controlled dummies.

From Wikipedia, in the public domain. Note the operative word...marionette...whose strings were pulled by someone else. An alter-ego persona.

Howdy Doody himself is a freckle-faced boy marionette with 48 freckles, one for each state of the union (up until January 3, 1959, when Alaska was admitted as the 49th state), and was originally voiced by Buffalo Bob Smith.[6] The Howdy Doody show's various marionettes were created and built by puppeteers Velma Wayne Dawson, Scott Brinker (the show's prop man) and Rufus Rose throughout the show's run.[7] The redheaded Howdy marionette on the original show was operated with 11 strings: two heads, one mouth, one eye, two shoulders, one back, two hands and two knees. Three strings were added when the show returned—two elbows and one nose.

Say, are you a cloney?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • marvelousmarvin

And in this corner of cyberspace, we have our very own Buffalo Bob Smith, or maybe Paul Winchell.

Knucklehead is a much better name than Clarabell.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • Haldane

"A puppet in the great 50s, hung out with Buffalo Bob Smith, Clarabell (later became Capt Kangaroo), Chief Thundercloud and the rest. He was a wooden hero for the ages. The Peanut Gallery was the place to be."

Sounds like the republican side of the house of representatives!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • gilforhof
Puppet, marionette, either/or. Jerry Mahoney was an interesting character as was Farfel the mutt (nestle commercials). Paul Winchell was also the voice of Tigger in the Winnie the Poo cartoons. Being a grandfather, I try to stay up with whats important.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • gilforhof
It could be any politician in general. I was too young to care then and enjoyed the 50s, whether it was Howdy Doody, Rin Tin Tin, Capt Video, or doo-woppin on the corners. It was what it was at the time... fun.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Haldane
American Bandstand? The Lone Ranger? Superman? Kookla, Fran, and Ollie?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • 69forever

***Buffalo Bob Smith, a contemporary of Paul Winchell. Both controlled dummies.***

Yes, and we should add to that list Edgar Bergen, Jim Henson, Shari Lewis, and, the greatest puppeteer of them all, <Dick Cheney.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Danthatman
Would you like to elaborate?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • hlandrith

>>The Peanut Gallery was the place to be.>>

Was there (1951). Rude awakening: Buff Bob was not a ventriloquist, he just talked off camera for any number of the puppets (Howdy, Mr. Bluster, Dilly Dally, etc.)

Big-time crush on Princess Summerfallwinterspring though.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547424.13 was deleted
  • 1/9/13
  • Mort2112
I'm in!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Danthatman
I say that we have Thursdays with Ultimate Lou.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • texccandaj

Clarabell? Buffalo Bob? Cool

Would be an improvement

Edited 1/9/13   by  texccandaj
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • gilforhof
Sky King? Hopalong Cassidy? The Cisco Kid?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • gilforhof
You sir are a master of trivia. To the best of my recollection and budding testosterone factor at the time, the Princess was a honey.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547424.19 was deleted
  • 1/9/13
  • hlandrith

>> You sir are a master of trivia. >>

I amaze myself. Can't remember my wife's work phone no., but remember the name of the Cisco Kid's horse (Diablo), Sky King's ranch, plane & niece (Flying Crown, Songbird & Penny) and Hoppy's sponsor (Silvercup Bread).

Geesh

• Reply to this Message