• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Collin Cowgill per Baseball America 2011
  • To:All
  • 12/19/12
  • mcmet69

Cowgill was then the 18th best prospect for the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2011 Baseball America Prospects Handbook. Here's the write up:

"Arizona has few legitimate prospects who have significant playing time above the high Class A level, but Cowgill performed well for Mobile in his third professional season. He's a versatile outfielder who can play all three positions with average defense. Cowgill sports the best outfield arm in the system, combining strength with accuracy. It's his top tool and grades at 60 or better on the 20-80 scouting scale. Cowgill is also a slightly above average runner and an instinctive basestealer. He also made great strides at the plate this year, becoming more selective and working on his swing mechanics. He wraps his bat almost like Gary Sheffield and has a high finish, and he sometimes struggles against good fastball velocity. Cowgills intangibles are off the charts. He's competitive and has a great work ethic, and scouts frequently saw him working out before games. He probably won't have enough bat for an outfield corner or enough speed to play center field everyday, so Cowgill profiles better as a versatile fourth outfielder, but he's a good bet to have a major league career. He is sometimes compared to Cody Ross, primarily for the grinder mentality and the fact that both players bat right and throw left. He'll head to Triple A this year with the chance for a callup when the need arises."

Cowgill went on to hit .354 in Triple-A in the PCL that season with 13 homeruns, 70 RBI's, 30 stolen bases and a .430 OBP in 98 games before a late season call up to the Diamondbacks.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • jsmet
Shefield? We wish.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • metsicle
I say if he becomes a Scott Hairston type with better defense, then this is a massive win. heck, I say it's a massive win if he becomes Mike Baxter with better D.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • 86kid

One always likes to here certain worked when they and reading a guy's scouting reports.
Words like

"intangibles are off the charts"
"He's competitive"
"has a great work ethic"
"he's a grinder"

Having assets like that, can sometimes help balance out some of the short-comings in a guy's skill sets - at least to some degree.

If nothing else, maybe this guy can be a good 4th outfielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Oldfan

Cowgill has 2 HRs in 200 ML ABs. Hard to believe he'll ever amount to a Hairston-type.

I think the Mets have more talented 4th OFer-types in Nieuwenhuis, Baxter and Valdespin.

It's funny, but the Cowgill BA write-up was pretty similar to one I read today about den Dekker. Maybe they use some cut and paste.

The only way Cowgill sticks on the roster is if the Mets can't find a decent RH OF bat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • mcmet69
I think Valdespin starts the season at Triple-A unless he's traded and Cowgill probably makes the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • bbjmparis
Cowgill in now our best outfielder. Isn't that awful?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metrebel

>> "intangibles are off the charts"
"He's competitive"
"has a great work ethic"
"he's a grinder"

As I have posted before, if you have two kids of equal talent in the system and one goes on to have a good ML career and the other doesn't make the majors. It's the intangibles.

>> Having assets like that, can sometimes help balance out some of the short-comings in a guy's skill sets - at least to some degree.

The kid has had roughly 200 ABS in the majors over two seasons. That's not enough ABs to tell whether the kid will hit ML pitching. Like with any prospect he may get it and 290-300.

If nothing else, maybe this guy can be a good 4th outfielder.

He could be a good 4th outfielder or an everyday player or spend the rest of career in the minors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • thebobymon
"talented" would also be nice.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • MetObserver
The best thing is that we didn't give up anybody that we could use in the trade. So anything we get from Cowgill is a big plus.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • METMAINEAC
any "recent" reports?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • saztastic2012
It is the Holiday season and you are Scroge, Ba humburg to every post you make, Dont go tol sleep or you will be vidited by three ghost.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metrebel

>> The best thing is that we didn't give up anybody that we could use in the trade. So anything we get from Cowgill is a big plus.

Neither team really gave up much. Who knows how these kids are going to work out. The mets needed a righty hitting outfielder. He may not be on the 25 man roster when they break ST.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546857.14 was deleted
  • 12/20/12
  • bbjmparis
Scrooge? Why? Because I prefer to post facts rather than absurd wishful thinking. Fact is, Cowgill is our best all around outfielder. He's a good defender. Can run a little, and his BA will be around everyone else's....oh wait...I forgot. Dud-A is going to hit 40 HR's. Didn't you say that? Well, he might. If his career lasts three more years, which is doubtful.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • saztastic2012
The are not facts they are your ever so pathetic oppinions.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Brian McCann
Latest by Bwaah - 12:07 PM
Knock Collins all you want!
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:05 PM
Since those first 3 games...
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:03 PM
Chris Young batting .200, anyone surprised?
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:03 PM
Oh, and BTW.. Davis is 0-9 and at .227
Latest by panthernet - 12:03 PM
Minor League Baseball
Latest by miracl3met - 12:00 PM
Beautiful play!
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:59 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:54 AM
It's a shame we passed on Abreu and Cruz...
Latest by ucpatoi - 11:53 AM
Three Funniest Posters
Latest by jereviens - 11:43 AM