• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• It's not just about being " cheap"...
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • sheadro
It's also about being smart and not making poor long term decisions through desperation with the organization in the circumstances they are in. I don't think anyone can argue that the Mets have not been cheap/restricted the last few seasons but times are changing. We aren't going to become Kanas City. It was a rebuilding process due to bad contracts and even worse investments. The Wilpons will always be bad owners, but not evil men people make them out to be. it's time for fans to get back on board and support the team rather than protesting the ownership, because like it or not (and we can all agree not) they will not go anywhere

Edited 12/18/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • dineke

If Mets want to win, just follow what the Jays did.

Actually the first part is already done, Jays traded Halladay, Mets traded Dickey.

Only difference is the Jays got rid of their big contracts like Vernon Wells while the mets gave one to Wright.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546818.3 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • jaydubya99

Not only have they done all of that, but I heard they like to kick dogs and punch little babies!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • sheadro
Then maybe you should find another team I guess if you feelings are so strong. You don't need to be a Wilpon cheerleader. Just it is what it is time for Mets fans to move on. Bashing them should never end, but the obsession and conspiracy theories should. Keep in mind they had the payroll at $140 million just a few years ago. The idea that they will never spend is foolish. The problem was they hired a guy who sold them on a poorly planned short term build. Now we have a guy calling the shots who is taking the right approach and fans are begging for failed Omar plan?

Edited 12/18/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546818.6 through 546818.7 were deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis
Ahhh...no, It's about being cheap, greedy, and stupid.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546818.9 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • wildwin77

We'll know immediately how cheap the organization has become after next year. Once Bay and Santana are off the books, there will be a ton of money available to spend on whatever talent is available. IF they spend it however will tell us just how cheap we've become.

I think it'll all turn out just fine.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

It is if they're not taking the $25M in deferral savings and RE-INVEST it in the team next season.

If they're only spending $90M in 2014, you k ow they pocketed those savings...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • MetObserver
Please explain to me how they are pocketing any savings unless the team makes money and they don't re-invest the profits. Simply by cutting the payroll and still losing money on the team is putting no money in anyones pocket.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • METMAINEAC

"If Mets want to win, just follow what the Jays did."

What the fukc have the Jays won?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • MetObserver
I think he is gone.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520

well,if the mets (mets or the mlb,not sure which)are still counting bay and wrights full contract to this years salary even though they are arent paying it all.they just upped the payroll by 20 million they arent spending to improve the team.
now,im not gonna pretend to have 100% understanding of how that works,and i dont know if thats what they are doing.but i certainly wont fault anyone for thinking that way.
in this,they have a case to question it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

Please explain to me how YOU know they're losing money when their books arent viewable to the public and they're not just pocketing the deferral money.

Exactly. Its been reported in multiple outlets that theyre counting David and Jason's salary against this years payroll when in fact, its really not. You're incredibly naive to think they're just being smart and thrifty when viewed in the direct aftermath of the Madoff scandal, smh...

Edited 12/19/12   by  CHOOin2014
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

Also, for those wish to bury their heads in the sands and believe what this ownership claims, just remember they (Jeff) said Madoff had NO impact on the way they operate this team and they would NEVER sell any part of the team to other investors.

6 months later, we have 12 minority owners...

Use your brains people and read between the lines. You're making the rest of us look incredibly stupid...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • MetObserver

No I believe that they are cash strapped and can't put extra money into the team. But face it they were practically giving tickets away last year just to keep attendance from falling off a cliff. Forbes, who are pretty good at finance, say they have lost money over the last three years. But you know more and claim they are making money? Where do you get your inside info? Once they again start making money with the team and if they don't then re-invest it you can make those claims but until then you are wrong.

And during those years that they had money invested with Madoff the team made money so they didn't need any infusion from investments to run the team. But since then the team got worse and stopped winning after 2006 and each year the attendance fell, they made a big mistake in building Citifield too small, capacity wise. And have been losing money the last three year(according to Forbes).

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014

Forbes bases their calculations on stadium revenue that is released to the Mayor's office (who are responsible for making sure they are financially capable to maintain their city bond payments) and outside observation of RELEASED figures from each team.

Their figures are merely estimations. Owners would NEVER release their core numbers..

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • murphstates

No, they were making money from Madoff, not from the team. In court filings during the Madoff case Picard claimed they would have lost money every season since 2001 without the Madoff money coming in.

According to multiple sources the team lost money in 2009, that was the first season post-Madoff. They drew 3.15 million and filled the stadium at 93% capacity.

• Reply to this Message