• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Big move for the outfield can only come via trade
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • KB24NYM
Read today via Davidoff there is $7 million in the budget to fill the roster...you read that correctly...so a bat will not be coming via FA...Ross ain't happening.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin
A trade would then have to be for a pre-arb eligible player. Otherwise, the Mets could be on the hook for a hefty salary. How much do you think Cody Ross is worth?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KB24NYM
At least $5 million per...so we would be left with $2 to fill out the bullpen and find a 5th starter...and that's best case scenario.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • sheadro
I think it's the more ideal opposed to free agency. I think we could expand the budget a tad for the "right guy" but I don't know if that exsist in the current free agent market. At least not at value. I think the Mets would first look to continue looking at the trade market seeking a young, high upside guy with ML experience that is under control for a while. Similar to what we did today but maybe better player at a higher price tag.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • DFAB
Hmmm...7m eh? It just so happens that Willingham is owed EXACTLY 7m next year and in 2014. Where does the 7m come from though? Where is the rest of the 25m going to be spent? Say 7m is spent on the OF, that leaves 18m for what? 18m cut in payroll?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • nvmets10
It's so completely absurd that there's just $7 million to spend. If they don't spend truckloads of money next offseason, it'll be a complete disgrace.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KLake409
I'd make Hefner the 5th starter (he's the kind of pitcher the Braves always make into 20 game winners, I wish the Mets had the Braves pitching coaches).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates

I heard Ross is asking for a three year deal. $7 million? I guess that "payroll will be the same or higher than last year" was just another round of BS.

That puts opening day payroll at about $80 million. Take out Santana and we're fielding a team with 24 players at a total of $50 million.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metthunder
I know he has a lot of baggage, but what about Nyjer Morgan? A FA for $2mill? Maybe?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • metsreef
Zero rh free agent outfielders...absolutely going to have to make a trade
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • alex8686
Hey I know. We're paying Jason Bay a ton of money. He plays outfield. Lets have him fill that last OF spot. Oh wait a minute they just cut Bay loose for nothing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • edmet
we have a 5th starter, mejjia, for 2 months until wheeler is ready. if someone gets hurt, we have wheeler,mejjia,and if they arent traded guys like gorski, mchugh and hefner. familia is another possibility. what we need is rh OF bat with power, and leadoff hitter, plus 1 good vet relief pitcher. sign hairston and the best reliever you can and go another yr with tejada leading off. we arent signing bourne, tho he would be ideal and is much needed. eric young from dbacks was suggested as trade target by another poster, excellent idea. speedy switch hitter who can leadoff. dbacks always need pitching and our farm is loaded with promising arms.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • metsreef
Eric young plays for the rockies I believe. But hes another 4th OF. A trade to the dbacks for aj pollock would be nice tho
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • CHOOin2014
They're hiding the deferrals (Bay & Wright) to line their pockets with extra cash.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520
would certainly seem that way wouldnt it?
not sure if i agree that thats what theyre doing,but i cant fault ppl for thinking it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • MetObserver
I keep asking but nobody can answer the question maybe you can. How do the owners line there pockets with money if the team doesn't make any money? No matter how low the payroll goes there is no money to keep unless the team turns a profit. Am i wrong?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520

i dont think its just so much about that (whether they are making money or not) as to where they are questioning where we have a 90 million dollar payroll when we actually cut payroll by alot with deffererd money and lost contracts.

its not so much ppl are questioning they are lining their pockets with the money so much as TRYING to line their pockets with the money.hope that makes sense.

i mean,again,i gotta say,im not pretending i know how this works or what theyre doing.and i cant say thats what theyre doing because i dont know.

but i can def see theyre arguement and understand it.

how can you include 21 million on bay,when you are only paying 6.and 15 for wright when you are only paying 11.
again,i am not gonna say i have a total understanding of it.but if you do im totally willing to hear it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520
and no your not wrong.if they arent making money then ,regardless of how much payroll is ,they arent making money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • skorpio520

if anything,they said at the beginning,payroll was gonna be about the same.maybe go up a bit.and it is,prob is theyre including money they arent paying.
so its (understandbly so) being taken as they are "padding" theyre payroll persay ,so noone can say they lied.and they have an excuse why they didnt sign bourn,or offer hairston three years,or ross,or even why they squabled with dickey over 4 million.

make sense?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • edmet
you are right davis is with rox, my bad.
  • Reply to this Message