• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Sandy now says "we'll have money to spend next year"
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22
For the 3rd straight year. Wonder when this beautiful streak will end.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • sheadro
It has to end next year right? With Santana and Bay coming off the books you have to spend something...right?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

No he said the payroll situation changes drastically. This is different and we know that because we can see what the met payroll actually is.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • thebobymon

There is a difference in having money to spend and actually spending it.

So even if he doesn't spend he isn't lying.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22
Who knows. I really just have to see it to believe it at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22
Well what's the point in deferring all that money then? If it's true there's money to spend this year but he doesn't like the guys out there or whatever, why not just take the payroll hit this year and leave flexibility for the future?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Maybe the Wilpons wanted to save some money for this year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • thebobymon

I personally hate when the subject of money comes up.

As a fan it isn't my problem and I don't want to hear about it.

Make the team better.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Understanding money allows you to set expectations. If the Mets had 100 mil to spend this year, do you think I would have supported trading R.A.?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
We should have traded RA for this package regardless of what payroll was. If we are not in win-now mode, we should have traded old man Dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

If the Mets had money to fill the holes, why would you trade a guy who can pitch like an ace for at least a couple years?

That doesn't make any sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • piazza5715
Guys don't be ignorant. We have built the farm sytem up but we have nothing in the outfield,a hole in the pitching staff and a bullpen that has alot of questions. The Mets can't compete over a 162 game schedule with the Nationals,Braves or Phillies. Lets take our lumps this season,dump Bay and Santana's big money off the payroll,have another good draft in 2013 and pick in the top 10 in the 2014 draft. When is the last time the Mets had a loaded farm sytem and only 30 million dollars of payroll on the roster? I know you'll believe it when you see it but I think the Mets have a very bright future.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
I'm 100% for this trade, but to say that if we had money we do the same thing all over again, its nonsense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • gomets66
dont know how much better future free agent classes will be after next winters, which looks mediocre at best.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • spydermet

"If we are not in win-now mode, we should have traded old man Dickey."

That was the point. If we had $100 mil to spend, we would be in a "win-now mode".

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jets_mets

Yeah but we still wouldn't be able to field a winning team in 2013. The free agent class wasn't all that good. Hamilton was the star of it but he'd be an awful fit in NY. I dont know of another FA catcher that would be as good as Travis.

Only dumb fans think spending an enormous amount of money in 1 offseason can fix all your problems. Look at the Red Sox.

Edited 12/18/12   by  jets_mets
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
Only really dumb fans believe the front office when they start talking about payroll.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Blancito
Heh dont count on it
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • met_man99
Thank paranoid losers in the media like Tyler Kepner looking for an ulterior motive in trading Dickey. Phenomenal baseball trade that will make the team better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
whos worth signing contracts too though?
  • Reply to this Message