• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• CAN WILMER FLORES BE CONVERTED TO AN OUTFIELDER?
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin
Just a thought. The guy is swinging a good bat. Too big to be a shortstop, they say. Blocked by Wright at Third. Questionable at second. He doesn't sound terribly athletic, but he is got no position in this organization. Can he learn to play a corner OF position? A third baseman should have a decent arm. He's have to learn to put a range on the fly balls, how to hit the cut off man but he can't be worse than Duda, hopefully better than Murph in the OF. I wonder why no one has tried this. Sure, maybe because its a bad idea based on his skill set, but I'm looking for some specific reasons. Thoughts?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jets_mets
From what Ive read he would be a bad fit in the OF but lets be honest. Could he possibly be a worse fielder than Duda.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin
Too bad there is no DH in the NL then.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates

According to what I've read he's extremely slow and has gotten slower each year as he has filled out. That said, I think it's worth a shot. It's not like we're running Gold Glovers out to the corner outfield spots.

Either that or if they believe his bat is legit they should move to first and give themselves an option if Ike's BA remains poor or to flip him for a couple other pieces.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • MetObserver
Can anyone be slower than Duda in the outfield?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • gomets66
sounds like he is so slow even LF is doubtful. 3B at the mlb level is considered questionable for flores also.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Kranesback
We need to move whiff boy to second and put Flores at third.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin

Yes, but we already have an option to Ike, which is Duda. I guess Flores can be our double redundant safety net......

A slow outfielder, yikes. Maybe for right field? Is he slower than Duda?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin
The what do we do with him? Trade bait for a pitcher or outfielder?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • wildwin77
I've wondered this...sounds like best option would indeed be to flip him for an outfielder
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsicle
no. he's slow like Mo Vaughn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • gomets66
flores's trade value will take a hit with his defensive questions.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin
Can he learn to get a good jump....? Who drafted this guy anyway as the second coming?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jets_mets
Yeah lets move a gold glove defender so we can have bad defense at 2 positions instead of 1. Brilliant analysis as always! How are you not managing mlb teams?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • gomets66
thats the problem with drafting 16 yo's. once they get to 19, 20 they can look a lot different. most look like wasted bonus money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • docguden16

The kid just turned 21. He's coming off his first season above A+ ball, and his first where he has shown signs of hitting for power.

I think the Mets have two options:

(1) Allow Flores a full season in AA ball at his corner position and see where his trade value stands after 2013. The fact that he's the Mets #1 positional player (recent trade not included) doesn't say much -- his trade value is low -- prior to 2012 he only touched double digit HR's one time and most of those weren't even in A+ ball.

If 2013 is a successful campaign and his slugging and OPS prove consistent... then his trade value will increase.

(2) Move Flores to the outfield as the Mets infield appears blocked for the foreseeable future. The only position that remotely exists is 2b... but there seems to be a logjam of sorts. The reports say his feet are too slow to play OF, that his first step isn't quick enough. The kid played SS in 2011, a position which is typically filled by the top athletes on the diamond.

The obvious downside to the position change is the potential for a decrease in offensive productivity, which is his best quality and may further lessen his trade value.

Given those two options, I go with #1. It takes an exceptional athlete to change positions and be productive. There are those that have done it, but I would venture to guess the list of failures far exceeds the list of successes. Give him a full season in AA and if he succeeds he should be dealt for organizational needs in the offseason.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • DFAB
Flores' only value to this team is trade bait to bring in a REAL OFer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • gomets66

The kid played SS in 2011, a position which is typically filled by the top athletes on the diamond. >>>

not being a top athlete is why he doesnt play short anymore. hopefully he keeps hitting. he will have some value at least.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Kranesback
Whiff boy is a FORMER gold glove and can probably play second...besides with his contract, he should be cleaning the toilets at Citi after every game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • marvelousmarvin
Yeah, I think option 1 makes the most sense. It's not like he's a can't miss slugger either.
  • Reply to this Message