• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• future closers?
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520

Im all for building a pen of youth and i think we got some good ones.for that ,next season when some ppl are screaming for hanrahan or marmol im gonna stick to my guns and say no....

parnel? meiija? familiia? who do we have in the pen can we audition for that role after francisco exits via trade,or just audition while hes still here.any thoughts?

as far as starters, i love our young pitchers and expect great things out of em. but with guys like johnson (with a return to form ofcourse) or lincecum (not for no grienke money though) possibly available (next year,or at the deadline) theyd be worth a talk.even matt garza might be worth a look.
thoughts on that aswell?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • brianinwi
Parnell and Familia, I think, are the heirs apparent to the closer role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
We already know Parnell can't close. I'd give the other guys a shot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
Common dude, Parnell can't close.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • brianinwi
I know that, and you know that, but do the Mets know that?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

As far as closers go I've only seen one guy sometimes rise to the occasion and thats Parnell, of course he has also failed miserably at times.

Can't speak for Mejia or Familia. I'm not high on them in their standard roles as starting pitchers, so it would be dishonest of me to say I could see them doing it.

I think for the most part pens are sort of a build-em-on-the-fly and see what you got type of project, with the one exception of closer (and sometimes holder). Thats something that is worth spending a bit of money on.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
I don't see how they can be unaware.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
ive always been fond of meiija in that role.never saw him as a starter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
I think usually failed starters with live arms make the best RP.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • brianinwi
Mejia's had better success in the minors as a starter than a reliever. I think the Mets should let him start, and quit bouncing him around.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
yeah these guys that money is spent on came from somewhere right? hanrahan wasnt always a closer,and neither was marmol,or madsen. if we had no potential there id agree,but id love to see what meiija has before spending money stupidly.the money we dont spend there can go somewhere else.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • hlandrith
Predict Domingo Tapia as closer 2015 (maybe even 2914).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
The reason why people spend money on it is because its very hard to develop a closer. If you have one, that's great, but you really do need one to win. We can afford to tinker around with the closer role this year since nobody is really expecting anything, but if we come up empty I think you have to go buy one.

Edited 12/18/12   by  PrayedforBay
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
have we really tried yet though? parnel had very limited success.meiija either gets thrown in as a starter or relief. maybe try developing someone in the minors before they come to the majors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
strong possibility
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

<Well yeah, obviously the Mets thought Parnell wasn't up for the job this year. That decission was made from the start of the season,so thats why they brought in F.F.

If you want to explore a closer just for the sake of throwing crap to the wall to see what sticks, know that you will throw a lot of games doing it. And you also have to let a guy stay in for a least 4-5 opportunities.

Its easy to say yea lets explore what we got just to save some money (which granted can be a lot) but you also kill your team morale and momentum when you are throwing games left and right in the 9th inning day in and day out just to see "what you have".

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • AdrianMonk

Matz
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Kranesback
Whichever of the young starters (including Wheeler) turns out to be the best fit for the closer role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
him and tapia are two names i heard that i didnt think about.but yeah.
  • Reply to this Message