• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• If D'Arnaud struggles early..
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
You think he will start getting booed? Whats the patience on this guy gonna be considering we just traded our God in R.A. Dickey for him? Think there will be a lot of added pressure?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Moses0507
uhh the Mets won't be good for 2-years, so who cares if he struggles
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • brianinwi
This is why the Mets took Buck in the deal. Gives them the luxury of starting D'Arnaud in AAA and taking some of the pressure off the rookie.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
I don't think fans will boo TDA. They boo guys like Thole, Torres and Bay becuase they have no business being on the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis
The "fans" here who wanted him so bad, and couldn't wait to dump Dickey, will turn on him in a flash. I feel sorry for him. He was traded from a contender with a decent shot at winning the WS, to a team that has a chance to lose 100, and, isn't trying to get better. Just trying to keep Fred's wallet solvent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • FireTwuck
This fanbase will boo their 6 year old kid in little league. Remember how they booed Piazza after he struggled when he was traded here?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • anthony888
Thole will probably muscle up in Canada, and hit .300 with 25 hrs up there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

I'm wondering if that will have any effect on him. Brand new prospect, has some weight on his shoulders in that we traded our CY Young for him.

Young players getting booed in NY can't always be great for development. Of course patience makes sense, but I'm wondering about the Citi crowds. Will they be patient?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud
I doubt it. Thole shouldn't be playing major league baseball. He's that bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

Well thats the thing, obviously Piazza a seasoned veteran with plenty of major league success, could handle it differently because he had something to hang his hat on.

Now of course he could shine here too right out of the box, like Ike did. You never know of course, but I would think that might be a disaster if he goes through a bit of a slump from the start.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • govmule72

"Thole will probably muscle up in Canada, and hit .300 with 25 hrs up there."

LOL, was thinking the same thing. It's our luck.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Right, but I'm talking about whenever it is he starts his season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • nvmets10
He's got the lowest possible bar to clear. He can struggle mightily and still easily be miles better than Thole was last season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
No, Thole isn't the bar. The bar is going to be how fans decide to measure what level of play was worth the departure of R.A. Dickey, fair or unfair thats how its going to be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis

Why did Thole, Torres, and Bay have no business on the team? Could it possibly be because they didn't play well? If so, and TDA plays poorly, what's the difference? Why does a TDA batting .185 belong on the team? Because he's young? So was Thole.

If TDA stinks, the "fans" who wanted him so badly, will boo him out of town. Not that there's anything wrong with booing a player who stinks. What's wrong is running a player like Dickey out of town because you wanted a new toy. Funny thing about toys is that quite often they're cheap and break. The fancy box covered up the flaws. TDA has lots. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this trade will be a disaster for us. I've seen it all before. "But this time it's different", or so I'm told. I see no reason why it should be.

I'm still waiting for Wheeler to show me trading Beltran, and suffering through two horrible seasons...only to be told I should wait till 2015 or 16...wasn't a disaster. So far our return has been 0.

Good teams trade prospects for stars. Bad teams trade stars for prospects. Funny thing...the good teams stay good...the bad get worse.

Oh well. Don't let the facts ruin your blind joy over this trade. The concrete will hit you in the face soon enough

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alfolerud

TDA has upside, and will for a few years before he can be considered a bust. Not every top prospect tears it up right away.

Torres and Bay didn't belong on the team because they were old and washed up.
Thole didn't belong on the team because he has no talent and no brains.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

The point has nothing to do with whether you personally saw this as a good trade or not, I'm simply asking do you think that the fan base will be impatient with a guy that they perceive should be performing at a high level due in large part to the quality player we traded to get him?

Do you agree with that premise?

Edited 12/18/12   by  PrayedforBay
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546775.18 through 546775.19 were deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
And then the next obvious question from there follows.. do you think that will impact his progress as a developing major league player?
  • Reply to this Message