• 12/18/12
  • JackNicholson
Twitter confirms this
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • JackNicholson

Scouting report:

Another piece received from the Diamondbacks in the Cahill deal, Cowgill could find a role in Oakland’s outfield as soon as Opening Day. An undersized grinder, Cowgill still has tools that can play at the big league level. He has solid hitting ability with average power potential thanks to plus-plus bat speed. He plays hard in center field with good instincts and a decent arm. He also handles the corners well and should be a very nice fourth outfielder at the Major League level

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2011/12/30/2012-oakland-as-top-15-prospects/

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Meh.

Would have rather hung on to Marte but whatever. Not a big deal either way.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • 4545_ajd
If we can get a righty with some power than I can live with him and Kirk sharing time in Center.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
So this was the outfielder the mets were trying to obtain that wasn't on their radar previously... gotta do better than this Sandy, hope they add more proven help before the season starts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • 4545_ajd
I bet Martino is checking his twitter history hoping to find something controversial as we speak...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • melloca
This is the trade that will take us to the World Series, give me a break is this the best that SA can do.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22
Another 4th OF'er that will probably start for us. Whoopee.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Not like the team gave up anything of immense value, though I kinda wanted to see what Marte would do.

Lateral move, but for an OF who can start opening day. Don't love it, don't hate it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsheart
Perfect for platoon. RH batter. Hit .233 / .277 OBP in 65 PA vs RHP. Hit .318 / .412 OBP vs LHP in 51 PA. Did hit .269 against both RH (59 PA) & LH (57 PA) starters though. So might be able to make adjustment if he plays every day.

Good pickup!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsheart
Marte was 3B & 1B. DH'ed too. Where was Marte gonna play on Mets??
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

He was also 3-4 years away.

Could have been anywhere, or possibly traded for more.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsicle
Pretty good minor league career except for last year. Could be a solid bench player. Marte for a mlb ready platoon player is solid.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsheart
Don't just dismiss a possible platoon. Platoons can be very effective. Mookie & Lenny in CF in 1986 worked out very well. So did Teufel & Backman at 2B. Kirk & Cowgill could be just as good. Maybe better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • melloca
Matt Cerone feels he will be a defensive replacement late in games
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsicle
I heard after a strike out Cowgill dropped an f bomb. Clearly a bad seed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsicle
No reason to think this was THE OF move puma talked about.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Kranesback
Wasn't he in some awful bubble gum music group in the 60s?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • JackNicholson

Very interesting. So at the very least he can play a decent centerfield and he can platoon solidly. The guy is young, still considered a prospect. While in Arizona farm, his AA and AAA years he hit really well, including 15 homers per year and 25 stolen bases.

Plus plus bat speed is a good feature. He doesn't seem to strike out much. He is only 27, so maybe with some work we can develop something.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsicle
Im thinking he will be a right handed baxter with better defense. Sounds good to me
  • Reply to this Message