• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Dickey Speaks
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis

"Now that it's official, I want to say that I don't have the words to express how grateful I am to you for the steadfast support and encouragement I received from all of you," Dickey wrote on Twitter, addressing his fans in New York. "I've always felt that there was a connection beyond the uniform. Thank you for making me feel wanted."

Feel wanted? Obviously RA never read the garbage posted here, where the majority of fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. First for suspect/prospect Myers...then for an even bigger suspect with a bum knee. I wonder how he'd feel if he knew about those who thought keeping him was a huge mistake. RA has more class in his fingernail clippings than all of them combined have in total.

This is a trade that will live in infamy, like the Tom Seaver deal. Funny thing. The lst time a Cy Young winner was traded the following year it was the Jays who did it. Sending Roger Clemens to the Yankees for the immortal Homer Bush. They learned from their mistake...we never do.

Good teams trade prospects for stars. Bad teams trade stars for prospects. As for TDA, I feel sorry for him. It wasn't his fault he got involved in this deal. He probably wanted to stay in Toronto where they're trying to win. Why would he, or anyone else want to play for a team where decisions are made, not for baseball reasons, not to make the team better, but by what's better for Fred's wallet? He should also know that the same fans who wanted him so badly will turn on him in a flash when he's hitting .185 in July. I really do feel sorry for him. He moved from a contender, and maybe a WS team, to a team that might lose 100.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546755.2 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Everyone who thought the trade made sense also felt a connection beyond the uniform. Thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • AdrianMonk

Seaver was only 32, and the "face of the franchise". I don't think Dickey is comparable. I will miss him too, but sometimes you have to take chances.

As for trading a Cy Young winner, I might point out that Jerry Koosman just missed by a vote of winning the '76 version when he won 21. The next two seasons were miserable before he again won 20 for the Twins. Dickey may have several good seasons left in him, but he may also do poorly next year.

Edited 12/18/12   by  AdrianMonk
Edited 12/18/12   by  AdrianMonk
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis
Coming from you...it's a compliment. Thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Growenoldr
Totally agree with you bbjmparis! Well said!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis

Anyone can do poorly, or great. You don't know, so you must deal with probabilities. What's MOST probable is that Dickey, now on a good team, wins 20 for the next year or two, while TDA struggles.

Does that have to happen? No. Maybe Dickey blows out his arm. Falls down a flight of stairs, gets hit by a truck and does nothing for the Jays, while TDA becomes Bench or Piazza. Maybe both will play great, Dickey for two or three years TDA for 20...but, Dickey being great to good, while TDA becomes a trivia quiz answer is far more likely.

However, my point was that the "fans" here, or at least most of them, couldn't wait to get rid of Dickey. A guy who pitched his heart out, was great for us, all while being a class act. Not a moment of doubt or remorse. They posted that they feared the deal would fall through and that we'd be "stuck" with Dickey...like he was Tejada or Duda. That is a total lack of class, and that was the point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis

Everyone who thought the trade made sense felt a connection? Then, they had a funny way of showing it. Most posters were worried that the deal might not happen and that we'd get stuck with Dickey...like he was garbage. They felt the same way when they wanted Myers. If the TDA trade had fell through, they would probably be saying the same thing about the next bag of balls we were offered.

Total lack of class on the part of those "fans". No matter how the deal works out, and it will probably turn out badly for us. If it does, do you doubt that those same "fans" will turn on TDA and try to boo him out of town? I don't.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • abbymart
Koosman didn't actually pitch all that bad in 1977. It's just that the team was so bad
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • abbymart
While I don't agree with your assessment of the trade, I do buy into the fickleness of fans. We're horrible. Some guys here talk about rooting for the uniform and not the name on the jersey as if that's a good thing. People matter, the personalities matter. I like "knowing" the guys and I don't care if they don't give two "sh*ts about me. I like caring about them. If it's just the uniform that is important I hope they live to the day when we just have robots playing on the field
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • djiboutirox
"Obviously RA never read the garbage posted here, where the majority of fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. "

go fu..ck yourself
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • MetObserver

Are you saying that all the fans that liked the trade didn't like Dickey? Because if you are you are dead wrong. We knew that it was a trade that was good for both teams. Dickey got the money that he wanted to secure the future for him and his family and a real chance to reach the WS. That was something that he couldn't get here at least for a while. So how did the trade hurt Dickey?

The Mets on the other hand took a gamble for the future by getting some solid prospects that they feel will help in the long term. Both sides are happy with the trade, as it should be. And most if not all the baseball pundits feel that it was a good trade, in fact most figuring that the Mets made out the best.

Only some disgruntled fans on this board can beat up the team for doing it. Ah! but those posters would find a way to blame the team no matter how the situation worked out. Because they only have a blind hatered for the owners and front office and will never see any good at all.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • spydermet
What a great reply when someone points out the truth. If you are one of those he was talking about, don't take out your guilty conscience on others. Change yourself.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • calimets14
Stop with the Seaver references. Seaver and Dickey do not compare. Dickey has a 3 year track record and is 38. Seaver was traded by different ownership and for reasons that were not finacially based. Dickey has been great but, 4th place with a CY Young winner is still fourth place. A guy that pitches every 5th day cannot turn a franchise around as quickly as a much younger catcher with a big bat. Lay off the "bum knee" issue. Know this.....the injury that he had was not severe and will not be an issue going forward. No I am not a Dr. but I have had the same injury as a catcher and rest and rehab made it a non issue. If you are a fan of the team....how can you root for failure of a trade that popular opinion is that the Mets did very well with?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • djiboutirox
Ah, yes, framing wanted to get the most value out of a player when he a)- wont help us compete b)- will just make his career one in which he never was on a winning team certainly is worthy of being framed as some sadistic a..sshole who hates the guy and wants him gone *for the sake of being gone*.

Disingenuous framing in order to paint people you disagree with as evil is one of the lowest levels of intellectual dishonesty. So, yes, he can go fu..ck himself.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546755.16 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
You and a handful of other cry babies are the only ones on the entire face of the planet who think this move is anything less then great for the Mets.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
One has to wonder if the Mets had turned down the trade and extended Dickey for two more years and a option if the OP would not have been bashing the mets saying how they just set the team back 10 years, ETC ETC, Some people will complain no matter what.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • spydermet

"but I have had the same injury as a catcher and rest and rehab made it a non issue."

Do you spend hours swatting and running? What about jumping up as he does when attempting to throw out a baserunner. Where is this rest and rehab taking place? It is a valid concern.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
Because most posters have enough baseball knowledge to know how great a treat this was.
  • Reply to this Message