• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Adam Lanza: A head full of video games and guns
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • jsmet
When investigators found his computer at the house, the hard drive had been smashed, presumably by Lanza. He is said to have been a fan of computer games featuring warfare and killing. Did he cross some line from the fiction of these games into some twisted, self-realised reality last Friday?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
A 20 year old that plays Call of Duty? Shocked.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • DFAB
I think the whole "video games causes kids to be violent" argument is ridiculous. It is up to the KIDS THEMSELVES to understand the difference between real life and a video game. If a kid goes out and does something like that kid did in CT, chances are they are a troubled, mentally unstable individual who probably didn't have parents who were dedicated to giving them the help they needed. Are some video games violent? Sure...but I just don't get the argument that they are the CAUSE of people going out and killing....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jsmet

>Sure...but I just don't get the argument that they are the CAUSE of people going out and killing...<

you are right all the kids that play war and violent games will not go out and actually try it in real life but it only takes one like this nut case to do it.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Yes, the game didn't do that to him. And if you are making that argument, then just being around a gun with equal logic could cause him to do that. The gun gave him violent thoughts?

Edited 12/18/12   by  PrayedforBay
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • thebobymon

Yes it is video games. SMH

Has nothing to do with being ridiculed his entire life, picked on by those who feel superior and need to feel better about themselves, targeting him. Even his mother had special rules for him.

The kid was wound too tight, and snapped, plain and simple. Add a careless firearm owner to the mix and it became volatile.

Mental illness is real, and as witnessed, serious.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KLake409
That and the prescription drugs that make people psycho and it's nowonder there's so many mass shootings these days (it's surprising there aren't even more of them).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • MeetTheMess

I'm old school and don't understand what benefit these games bring to anyone. What positive characteristic does it build? What does it teach.... Killing?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

The point is true about gun control not being the answer to it all, but regulations on what type of guns are allowed to be sold are a must. Extended magazines and things like that.

The biggest part of it is the mental health care piece.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
What does hitting a baseball give you? What does shooting a gun do for people? Its a hobby and something to get good at and try and master the best you can. Its entertainment for oneself.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KLake409
Well the fact that high powered weapons are so easy to get doesn't help (I mean maybe it wouldn't stop all mass shootings but it would definitely cut down the number they could kill).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates

This is not really on topic, but I decided to vent here. So three days after this horrific crime I take my fourth grade daughter to school this morning because it's holiday concert day and all kids in orchestra and chorus were told to come in at 8:00 AM for rehearsal.

I pull up in front and help my daughter carry her stuff in. The front doors are unlocked, the office is empty and there is not an adult anywhere in sight. There were at least half a dozen kids being dropped off at the same time and there was not a single school employee anywhere.

This is after getting multiple e-mails about reviewing security procedures, having counselors available for the kids, etc. I'm standing in the lobby looking around and thinking there is absolutely nothing to prevent me from walking anywhere in the school, hiding somewhere and waiting until 9:00 when all the kids get there.

I could not believe that after what happened on Friday they would leave a school unlocked with students inside and no adults or security anywhere.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jsmet

>The point is true about gun control not being the answer to it all, but regulations on what type of guns are allowed to be sold are a must. Extended magazines and things like that.<

I agree Automatic and semi Automatic guns . Should be only for the police and military. There is no need for them out on the street

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • viper99

A couple of very important issues have been and continue to be ignored with this tragedy.

1. The mother should have kept the guns locked in a safe as any responsible gun owner should.
2. There is a rumor, not sure if true that she would take her son, who had obvious mental issues to the gun range. Why show a kid with mental issues how to shoot an AR?

There are a lot more victims than those who died. All the kids from Sandy Hook school are traumatized and it will take a long long time before they and all of us parents who live in Newtown heal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KLake409
Do people really need assault rifles and 33 and 100 bullet cannisters and other such stuff to enjoy themselves?, I mean I'm sure some rich people would love to buy an M1 tank and drive it on the road but as far as I know no state allows that.

Edited 12/18/12   by  KLake409
Edited 12/18/12   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jsmet

>I could not believe that after what happened on Friday they would leave a school unlocked with students inside and no adults or security anywhere.<

Same here

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
All amazingly stupid and terrible things. but what can we do for effective policy is where the conversation needs to be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KLake409
Give all school children UZIs (that would stop it). LOL :)
  • Reply to this Message