Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• WORKING ON NEW OF COULD BE CRISP
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012

Mets up to something, working on acquiring an outfielder
December 18th, 2012 7:46 am
The New York Post’s Mike Puma says he’s hearing the Mets may soon add a new outfielder.

“It’s a name that hasn’t been linked to the Mets,” he later added.

Puma’s colleague, Ken Davidoff, says the front office has been working on something for the outfield.

Davidoff says Mets official wouldn’t rule out the idea of acquiring A’s center fielder Coco Crisp.

Crisp hit .259 with a .325 OBP, 11 HR and 46 RBI and 39 stolen bases in 2012.

Matthew Cerrone, MetsBlog.com:

Crisp does make sense for the Mets. He’s only a decent defensive center fielder at this point in his career, but he’d add a nice element to the top of the team’s lineup (since he still draws enough walks and he’s still pretty quick), which would also allow Ruben Tejada to move back to batting second. I also like that he’s on a one-year deal (at $7 million) with a team option for 2014.

The Rays, Indians and Mariners have all asked the A’s about the availability of their outfielders this winter.

During the Winter Meetings, Andy Martino of the Daily News said the Mets were talking with teams about acquiring an outfielder by trading some of their pitching prospects, like Darin Gorski. Assuming the market breaks right, I also think there is a chance they sign a free-agent outfielder, like a Cody Ross or Scott Hairston, in addition to trading for a player like Crisp or D’Backs OF Jason Kubel.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • DFAB
eh...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
s.m.d.h
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
You dont think Crisp would be a good fit? Dont forget his game is speed and translates very well at Citifield
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
Try that again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520
s.m.d.h -- shaking my d@mn head.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • robedits
He's already 32. Doesn't score a lot of runs for a quick player. DOES steal some bases and has a decent SB pct. Has a bit of power and doesnt K much. Not a very good defensive OFer anymore,so he doesnt add much to our OF on D ...even TOrres was a better OFer. BEst thing to say about him is:
He's not THAT bad. Certainly along the lines of the best type of player who would agree to come here. Which ain't saying much ! Better than Juan Pierre,I guess. Ecept Juan Pierre has a TON more SBs and over 2000 hits and close to a .300 lifetime average.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Remember86
Crisp isn't horrible but I'm hoping it's someone better, someone younger, with better defensive skills. At this point, I'd say "meh."
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • DFAB
I mean he would be an upgrade, no doubt....but I think we can do better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22
After we just traded Dickey and punted the next couple years...it would be the height of stupidity to deal ANY prospect for a guy like Crisp who's not any good and wouldn't have a future here anyways. Hope he's not the guy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
Do you not think he and his 39 stolen bases and .325 OBP would be an improvment? Not to mention his game should translate very well to Citi.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012

Runs scored is a facet of the team but he gets on base and steals, He had 39 steals last year and I feel his game would translate very well to the gaps at Citi field, If it is him it is an improvement over what Torres gave us.

455 ABS 68 runs 48 RBI, 25 2B, 7 triples, 11 HRS and 30 stolen bases (just 4 CS) 2.7 WAR
374 ABS 47 runs 35 RBI, 17 2b, 7 triples 3 HRS and 13 SB 5 CS 1.2 WAR

How can anyone not look at this as a major improvement?

Assuming it is he that we get Im fine with it, He is not a stud, Not a kid but I have been saying all along that we would at a minimum bring in some mid teir guys.

COCO had 105 RC
Torres had 79

That is 26 more, Keep in mind the team fell 50 runs short of that top tier 700+ number.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
It would be a significant improvement from Torres, But they might not be done. A guy like him then another with power and the OF would start to look a whole lot better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
It is easy to say we can but I am sure Sandy knows what is out there, And there is nothing to say they would be done, Maybe (and this is assuming he is even the guy) they bring him in and then someone else for RF and move Duda (assuming he is not traded) in LF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • saztastic2012
Funny you should use the word punted because Sandy was very clear using that exact same term saying we are NOT punting 2013, So no it would not be stupid if the team plans on trying to improve on 2012. Not to mention Crisp is not going to garner a stud prospect, Most likely a lower teir guy and we pick up the remaining contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • cjct

look at it like this.

with a future rotation of Harvey, Wheeler, Neise, Snydergaard, and most likely a FA of some sort. We have a lot of excess pitching in a farm system. The solid prospects like Gorski and Mazzoni who really have no spot in this organization especially with guys like Tapia, Maeo, and Fulmer who are all rated higher then them.

I would gladly package a few prospects for an OF...now I wouldn't necessarly do it for Crisp since he is older but I would love to get a younger OF that we can control for a few years that might be in a crowded outfield on another team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Please be Bourjos please be Bourjos.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • nvmets10
Crisp and Kubel are actually REALLY solid names. I'd be quite happy with either of them. Both very affordable, have options for 2014 as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22
He said the same thing about 2012, which they pretty clearly punted anyway.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • thedamon

I want no part of Coco Crisp.. The guy has sub .250 averages from both sides of the plate.

His outfield ability is declining. It would be another case like Torres where he has to play center field when he is not even the best in center on the team.

He is not worth giving up a Verrett, Mazzoni, Gorski type prospect..

Plus he makes 6 million it would stop them from doing anything else..

• Reply to this Message