• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Just putting this out there...
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • BigTon
Contrary to popular belief,i think the Mets signing of Jason Bay was a good one at the time.Bay hit 36 HR'S and drove in 119 the year before the Mets signed him and on paper it seemed like a solid acquisition.I don't think we can fault Omar for Bay's concussion and everything else that went downhill for him afterwards.Just like I can't blame Alderson if for whatever reason these prospects don't live up to expectations.Great trade IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • fargol

"Contrary to popular belief,i think the Mets signing of Jason Bay was a good one at the time."

Yes it was, but people don't want to admit that and come up with weird reasons why they wouldn't have done it (Bay was juicing, the Red Sox knew he was done, etc).

But at the time, it was the kind of move the fanbase would be thrilled with if it happened this OS.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • abbymart
I would agree with you. If anyone says they felt there were better options such as Holliday, that's cool. But anyone who says they KNEW then that Bay was a bad move is full of crapola
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

No, there were plenty of people who though that for the money it was actually a bad contract. Nobody thought that Bay would be the nothing that he was, but those of us who were against it, thought that his production would suffer here at Citi to an extent that made it not worth the resources.

So, just because his production fell even way below what the anti-Bay crowd thought it would be, that doesn't mean we were wrong.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • BigTon
PNC wasn't much of a hitters park and he hit well there with no protection.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • skorpio520

honestly i didnt hate the move at the time,just wasnt my first choice. but i wasnt completely ahainst it either.idk what lead to fall off,ive never seen anythng like that before,except maybe the alomar deal.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay
Right but we thought he wasn't going to replicate what he did in the first part of his career. The point is even if he hit .260 15hrs and 85RBIs it wasn't worth the money. His good fielding was actually a surprise for a while, until that too went away.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • joemets22

Bay was already horrendous before the concussion dude. He was just awful for us from day 1.

My issue with the whole thing was more about the way they lied to the fans because they did take a lesser player and passed on Holliday. So they tried to tell us about these charts that showed Bay would've hit more HR's at Citi based on his year before in Boston than Holliday would have, which was immediately rebuffed and shown to be completely fabricated by just about every data compiling baseball site.

I also disagree with the idea that it's not on Sandy if the deal doesn't work out. People said the same things about guys like Francisco and Ramirez. Why is Sandy a completely infallable GM? It's not his fault if free agents don't pan out, not his fault if players we trade for don't pan out, not his fault if prospects he trades a Cy Young award winner don't pan out. What exactly is he accountable for?

Edited 12/18/12   by  joemets22
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • BigTon
Joe,take a look at where Holiday hit before going over to Oakland.Colorado and with guys like Helton and Tulo hitting around him.Bay put up similar numbers with Pittsburgh in a non-hitters park with no protection.Any lack of production imo falls solely on the hitter,happenstance or a meddling hitting coach.On paper this was good trade(Dickey).

Edited 12/18/12   by  BigTon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • brianinwi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Omar bid against himself for Bay, just like he did with Oliver Perez? I seem to recall that the Mets had a reasonable offer on the table for Bay, and then they upped it to the $66 million monstrosity, even though no other team was seriously bidding for Bay's services.

If that's correct, then Omar definitely deserves blame -- not for signing Bay, but for signing him for such a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of money.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Brian McCann
Latest by Bwaah - 12:07 PM
Knock Collins all you want!
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:05 PM
Since those first 3 games...
Latest by thagreat1 - 12:03 PM
Chris Young batting .200, anyone surprised?
Latest by elguapo111 - 12:03 PM
Oh, and BTW.. Davis is 0-9 and at .227
Latest by panthernet - 12:03 PM
Minor League Baseball
Latest by miracl3met - 12:00 PM
Beautiful play!
Latest by AdrianMonk - 11:59 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 11:54 AM
It's a shame we passed on Abreu and Cruz...
Latest by ucpatoi - 11:53 AM
Three Funniest Posters
Latest by jereviens - 11:43 AM