• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• A legitimate foundation
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • alex8686

At least we have the beginnings of a legitimate foundation for success now. D'Arnaud, Wheeler, Syndegaard, Nimmo. We're starting to finally operate properly and move in the right direction finally. It's been since the 80's that we've not drafted and developed properly and foolishly threw money at free agents constantly.

Sandy has done an excellent job by bringing in Wheeler, Syndegaaard, and D'Arnaud for Beltran and Dickey. And also the drafting of Nimmo, Fulmer and others represents an upgrade over previous administrations.

Edited 12/17/12   by  alex8686
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

Right, batting champs and CY winners make for terrible foundation pieces.

It's so crazy it just might work!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid
We've been on a hamster wheel for the last 25 years or so. Slaves to the FA market and continuously having to reinvent the roster each winter. It's nice to see some patience and calm calculated thinking for a change. There are no assurance this will all pan out, but it is nice to see and hopefully it all works out. I have been hoping for this type of thing for years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Moses0507

They have a serious foundation with

Harvey
Wheeler
Niese

and...

3. Wright
4. Ike
5. D'arnaud

thats pretty awesome.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid
No, they don't, but when you have a ton of holes, and limited resources to fill them, it makes no sense to pay ten of millions of dollars to two or three guys, only to still finish in 4th or 5th place anyway.

Edited 12/17/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alex8686
Yeah but you're only getting 2 or 3 years out of either Reyes and Dickey. At substantial cost. Vets are usually never a good idea. Not only are they declining but they also make much more money.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
Well you can keep hoping now for a bunch more.....then if everything doesn't work out exactly as planed we can start the 9 year plan all over again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
How do you kow how much resources they have?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JoseJose
I guess in the winter the Aiders dominate the board. In two years this clown has lost a batting champ/dynamic speedster and got zero in return, then traded the Cy Young winner for prospects, the main one of which has a bad knee (it's not like catchers need healthy knees though). They are annointing him GM of the century for unloading a Cy Young winner for a lottery ticket. FMart lives on! But hey, this is such a small market town, we shouldn't expect our shrewd GM to actually get us any proven players. Plus, Spindy has done SUCH a good job on the outfield and bullpen. LOL - I hear the Shake Shack was built on a "good foundation".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo
You are seriously underestimating both Dickey and Reyes if you think they will done in 2 years.....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alex8686
Yeah. I sat back for 25 years and watched the same system of buying free agents not work. We're finally operating in a way that works. No expensive free agents until we're in a position to contend after we've built up a core of good young players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Melo15nym
So what was your solution on fixing the team genius?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

The plan should be to be good every year....

It shouldn't be lets wait to we get realy lucky with a bunch of prospects coming up and then try and win then.....I don't like that way of thinking

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • bmcneely
I don't like the Nimmo pick or Cechenni however you spell it. I do like Fulmer ,Mateo, Tapia, Wheeler, Harvey and Syndergaard though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • kinerskrnr
We weren't winning with Dickey anyway. He'll be gone by the time this team has enough offense to compete. Your argument doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

All you need is a good team...you don't even need the best team...anything can happen.....good teams sometimes get hot at the right time and win it all...

Have a good team every year and the rings will come......you don't just write off 3 yeas at a clip for some prospects....bad business

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

Dickey got alot left...and it the plan is for 2018 then I don't want to talk about it anyway.

He's not gonma go away anytime soon.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Melo15nym

"The plan should be to be good every year...."

We're we good this year, last year, or the year before?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alex8686
Yeah. Plus Mejia. Everyone seems to be forgetting Mejia was the top prospect in 2010 and 2011.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • johnyringo

We were bad last year, but I think we would have been better with Reyes, Beltran, Pagan and Krod.

Sandy has been given ALOT of good players.....we COULD have a good team right now just by keeping them.

• Reply to this Message