Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• BUSTER OLNEY on DEAL
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid

Blue Jays send message with Dickey deal

December, 17, 2012
DEC 17 7:59 AM ET

Talent evaluators who have heard Toronto Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos say no to possible deals for catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud in the past are stunned -- completely shocked -- that Toronto has said yes to a to a trade for R.A. Dickey -- a trade that is on the verge of being finalized with word that Dickey and the Jays have agreed to a two-year, $25 million contract extension.

There's even more to this deal than d'Arnaud: Noah Snydergaard, regarded as the Jays' best pitching prospect by some teams, is the cherry on top of this trade for the Mets.

"I can't believe [Anthopoulos is] thinking about doing this," one AL official said Saturday, before the Jays and Mets finished the structure of the deal.

"He's out of his mind," said another.

For Buster's full analysis -- and complete access to his blog -- become an Insider today.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid
LOL !!! Wow
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nymets0217
Like I said in another thread...steal of the decade for the Mets.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546709.4 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • DFAB
you missed have quickly forgotten what TB got from KC for Shields...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nymets0217
That has nothing to do with the Mets.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid
I actually really feel this trade can be good for both sides. Yeah, we got a lot, but so did they. They got a top of the rotation starter, and if he helps lead them deep into the post season the next few years, then it is worth it to them since they are built to win now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • MetObserver
I forgot who was the younger one Shields or Dickey?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JoseJose
I still feel that for the current Cy Young winner we should get at least one proven player. I think there is at least as much as of a chance for Dickey to be very good for 4-5 years as there is for either of these prospects to pan out. And I think the deal was done for financial reasons only, to lower payroll (again). We still have no outfield, none at all, and no one to pitch in the bullpen. I don't see a rebuild going on. I admit I am completely jaded, I hate the Wilpons and I believe Sandy is here not to improve the team but to spin things only as Fred remains owner even though he can't afford it and hates the team and its fans. But this is NY, when do we settle for prospects only, complemented by scrubs, and then celebrate and annoint a guy as a good GM for trading a Cy Young winner? How hard is it to trade a Cy Young winner?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546709.10 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • DFAB
it actually does as it contradicts your statement of the Mets deal being the "steal of the decade"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JoseJose

"we just need to be patient"

...maybe for Fred to sell the team and for Spindy to move on, because as long as we can't tolerate batting champs and Cy Young winners, and keep lowering payroll, this "team" is irrelevant. This is NY, we shouldn't have to hope a bunch of prospects pan out, most of which do not (see FMart). We have no outfield and no bullpen, almost no power and no speed. Why sign Wright for so long if we are rebuilding and waiting 4 years for a bunch of prospects to fill the All Star roster?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • MetObserver

ow hard is it to trade a CY winner? I guess it is not that easy Texas, LAA, and 4 other teams that contacted the Mets about him didn't make the trade.

And you must be delusional if you think the owner doesn't like the team, nor the fans, and doesn't want to win. For what reason would he want to continue owning the team? To lose more money each year?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid

>>>"I still feel that for the current Cy Young winner we should get at least one proven player."<<<

I think what we got was excellent - proven on not.

>>>"I think there is at least as much as of a chance for Dickey to be very good for 4-5 years as there is for either of these prospects to pan out."<<<

We've been over that before. This isn't about how good Dickey is or isn't. We all know he's good. That's beside the point. This was about adding depth, high end quality depth, to this system. We got three high end prospect for Dickey.... Thole and Nickasas didn't have any real upside.

>>>"And I think the deal was done for financial reasons only, to lower payroll (again)."<<<

Even if that were true, which I don't think it is, I would not mind it. It was fairly pointless to be paying Dicket 13/14 million a year only so we could still have a limited team and still finish in 4th or 5th place.

>>>"We still have no outfield, none at all, and no one to pitch in the bullpen."<<<

It is December 17th bro, not April. There is still plenty of time for Sandy to complete his off-season tasks. Show some patience.

>>>"I don't see a rebuild going on. I admit I am completely jaded, I hate the Wilpons and I believe Sandy is here not to improve the team but to spin things only as Fred remains owner even though he can't afford it and hates the team and its fans."<<<

Yeah, you are jaded. And seem somewhat paranoid and reactionary too. All the conspiracy theories as if Wilpon personally has nothing better to do than to plot against you. Lighten up bro. I also don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to feel something as strong as "hate" for someone over something like a sport franchise. But hey, if that you, than that's you. I'd never let anything like this burn me up that much. There is more to life dude.

>>>"But this is NY, when do we settle for prospects only, complemented by scrubs, and then celebrate and annoint a guy as a good GM for trading a Cy Young winner? How hard is it to trade a Cy Young winner?"<<<

Well, you read some of the quotes from other baseball executives. Guys who know more about this game and this business than you or can ever know. I you need to take a time-out or something bro.

Edited 12/17/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JoseJose
Listen bro, I respect your opinion, but calling me paranoid and reactionary because I disagree with you is...reactionary. I totally disagree with you because prospects are lottery tickets and again, for not only a proven star but the Cy Young guy, we should get a proven guy back imo. And to say we need patience because come April we will have outfielders - please, don't make me laugh, we have seen this rodeo before. For years now, it's been salary dump after salary dump, and signing Torres-like scrubs to fill holes and save $. The good outfielders were already signed. Finally, when I say I hate the Wilpns, it is from a sports sense, there is no real-life emotion in it. I love the Mets, and for years now, and many more to come, Fred and Jeff have ruined our team, so hence my "hatred".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • ExileMetsFan
Well, they weren't ours, so they should be fine :-)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • MeetTheMess

Makes you wonder why this "sure thing" has already been traded twice before even making the majors.

Remember some of the mets other "sure things" ?

lastings milledge
Alex ochoa
Fmart
Bill pulsipher
Paul Wilson
Greg Jeffries
Billy beane
Craig swan
Steve Henderson
Butch husky
Mike pelfrey
Aaron heilman
Julio Valera
And so on.....

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid
You yourself called yourself jaded, and hateful toward this people, and now you bark at me for saying you your seem paranoid and reactionary ? Dude, you aren't making a whole lot of sense right now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • danthemetfan
He was traded for Halladay and Dickey. He isnt a scrub who is being sent from team to team like Emaus was two years ago. He was the center piece for two different Cy Young award winners.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JoseJose
Doesn't seem like you read my response. Gotta sign off now. Peace.
  • Reply to this Message