• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• SO how do we NOT lose 100 games next season?
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • robedits

Dickey's 20 wins=gone.
Who's replacing him that is ready to pitch at a superior level in the major leagues? Just curious.

OH that's right..."the kids"!
"Generation K" comes to mind.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • thebobymon
By winning 63.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
What is the difference between winning 65 games and 75 games?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Moses0507

Ike not having a horrible first half.

Full season of Harvey.

Having a REAL Catcher.

Santana 2-years off of surgery, pitching for next contract

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • fargol

Who cares? Next year is a wash anyway.

Enjoy the kids.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • tonymets1

so, we now will have Buck behind the plate..DW, Tejada, Murphy and Ike in the IF. Duda in LF, Cap'n Kirk in CF..and lets see if we can get Justin Turner an OF glove for RF.

BP Improved... Edgin, Turner will add depth and talent.

Starters - Johan, Niese, Matt Harvey, Gee, possibly Zack Wheeler..

They;re not winning 100 games, but there's a chance they;ll be incrementally better than 2012.

All about waiting for the soup to cook my friend.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546668.7 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • thebobymon

I care.

Why teach the kids how to lose?

What is the point?

Never give up before the gate opens.

Unless "somebody left the gate open"...see what I did there?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • sheadro
I'm tired of people pulling out gerneration K as an arugement. What aboutbthe Oakland big 3, the current Giants, the 90's Braves, and so on. Generation K has nothing to do with the players we are counting on, and nothing to do with the current Mets front office. We all know there is risk in the unproven prospect but also with tremendous reward. Generation K failed a long time ago get over it. Because Bay failed should we never sign another free agent outfielder?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
Pitching pitching and more pitching
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • hammr1952
and more pitching.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • MetObserver
And why do you care what we watch or enjoy? Does it mean anything in your life? If it doesn't go home leave us alone.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • bbjmparis

Let's be honest. There are many here who don't care if the Mets lose 100. They're either masochists who enjoy watching bad baseball, sadists who enjoy the pain of real fans, or delusional folks who believe Top prospect = Future Star, and that a bad year or two, or three, will mean future championships. I have no comment for the Masochists and Sadists, but really wish the delusional would learn a little of the games history before cheering stupidity. Top prospect equals flop far more often than it means future star. That's why consistantly good teams...like the Yankees, I hate them but they are successful, trade away prospects for stars, and bad teams trade stars for prospects.

We might not lose 100 in 2013. But we will lose in the 90's and be a very boring team to watch.
We still have, no offence, no defense, no speed, an awful BP. The starting pitching is now in ruins too.

Niese our new #1 is a good pitcher, but not a #1. More like an average 2 or very good 3.

Santana is our number 2. He was great, but now he's a five inning pitcher. His arm is attached by duct tape. He'll probably break down again. I think he can give you 5 good innings 75% of the time, while getting shelled early 25% of the time. The new Chris Young. Given the lousy offense and BP we have, the 75% of the time he leaves winning 2-1 or losing 2-1 after 5...will mostly be losses.

Gee is our #3. He suffered from a serious medical condition. I don't even know if he can pitch next season. He's nothing special anyway.

Harvey is #4- Hate to break it to you...but he's not winning 20 games. My guess is 8-15. Now that
major league batters have seen him, they'll adjust to what he does. He needs to adjust back. I have no idea if he can. Take a look at how many pitchers never even come close to being as good as they were in a late season call up. If Harvey can adjust, he goes 8-15 with an ERA around 4.
He needs to pitch fairly well just to achieve that. Our very bad defense and BP are going to cost him in the close games, the lack of offence cost him in games where he doesn't have his best stuff. Of course, if he can't adjust back, he's just another failed prospect.

Who is #5? Nobody knows. I guess it will be whoever stinks less between Mejia and Familia. Since both stink badly, it won't make much difference.

So we can look forward to seeing Duda letting everything not hit right at him drop in for a single, and miss-playing routine singles into doubles. Watching Murphy reach nothing at 2b, and boot too much of what he does reach, and Valdespin botch routine plays at an alarming rate.

The BP's motto is "No lead is safe" Watching them trying to hold a 5 run lead will be the closest thing to excitement we'll see in 2013.

We have less speed in 2013 than the no speed we had in 2012 now that loser Torres is gone. Has there ever been a slower team since the 50's?

Then we have Wheeler who'll come up in July to replace the stinking Mejia or Familia. He might even pitch okay because nobody has seen him. They'll adjust to him. Then what? Only God knows and he didn't tell me. He didn't tell those who think he'll be Tom Seaver either.

That's the team Fred and Jeff have given you. Enjoy if you can. I have this old fashioned idea that watching my team win is more fun than watching it lose. Silly me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • robedits

COuldn't agree with you more on ALL points.
I'd love to "enjoy watching the kids",but I'd like to see my team WIN. I've been watching them LOSE,more often than not,since the mid 60s...with a good team thrown in every 5 or 6 years or so for good measure. Dam=n the mid to late-80s for spoiling me :-)

When was the last time the Yankees traded away their best pitcher....their reigning Cy Young winner or a 20-game winner?
To the posters above:
Dang right I bring up Gen K. Highly touted rookies,ALL of whom failed (well,at least Pulsipher became a dependable relief pitcher much later on.) Harvey shows promise...buit Wheeler hasnt pitched a single major league inning. There are plenty of pitchers who have been TRUE major league stars (where it COUNTS) at a young age...Verlander,Doc Gooden,Kershaw to name a few. LEt's see what WHeeler does first before proclaming him a stud....same with the catcher Sandy "stole" from the Jays. Hey,the Jays are getting a Cy Young winner and paying less than market rtate for that. THey hardly got hosed. NO way the Wilpons shouldn't have kept our best pitcher;sorry.
AS for Ed Lynch's long-ago comment....he was right...but he was talking about a player who was a former MVP and the league's best first baseman. Now CASHEN knew what he was doing. It lead to a championship (and if not for the drugs and thuggishness pervading the clubhouse atmosphere,would have been even more than one). NOt so sure about Sandy's "plan" other than putting all his money into Wright and having nothing left for anyone else. If WHeeler and this catching prospect work out...then heck yes, Sandy deserves praise.

I'm a Mets fan for 45 years,but nothing about this team excites me or spurs me to care right now. I go to minor league games for the pure joy of watching baseball at a relatively high level of play (not to mention not having to worry about being ripped-off for cost of ticket/parking/concessions vs. benefits of watching a decent home team). Mets are just an old habit I can't kick. WHich is why I want our team to win so badly. 26 seasons is long enough to wait for a major market team to win a WS. And one WS appearance since 1987 is also long enough.
OK,OK...let's see what Sandy's "plan" is. WHile the fans are treated to "rebuilding" and loss after loss. Well,at least we can enjoy "the kids",right?
Give us a winner,Sandy. You'll be forgiven for a LOT of things if you can buiold us a winner under the strains of the Wilponzi ownership. THAT will be near to impossible. The first "miracle" for this tema since 1969. WHich,frankly,really wasn't a miracle. Just great pitching.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • fargol

"Enjoy a team that has absolutely no shot? You're a Met fan? Gosh... "

Wow, sorry, but you're really stupid if that's what you interpreted from my other post.

Stupid as in below the cabbage on the intelligence scale.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • forceout6
Hey, take it easy on cabbages.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • pt1028
The Marlins may have a worse team this coming season so the Mets may be able to take some wins away from them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • robedits
That would be nice. But since our OF, bullpen, and immediate cathcing problems haven't been solved...and we just lost our best pitcher by FAR....I'm not counting on it. I can definitely see us in last place with 95 losses.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • knarf0516

What is the difference between winning 65 games and 75 games?

I know this one! Ten games. What do I win?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • knarf0516

I will gladly sit through a 100 loss 2013 season if it leads to an average of 90 + wins for 2014-2019.

• Reply to this Message