Buck, and Becerra (18 yr old OF).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • brianinwi
Source?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Sipo8878
Jon heyman on Twitter. This is absolute highway robbery. We essentially gave up Dickey and got 3 prospects and Buck.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Sipo8878
@AnthonyDiComo
Here's the whole deal, according to @JonHeymanCBS: Dickey, Thole, Nickeas for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Buck, Becerra. #Mets #BlueJays
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsicle

Jon Heyman ?@JonHeymanCBS
Jays get dickey nickeas thole

LOLOLOLOLOL Oh man This is the steal of the century.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • cjct
someone call CSI because Sandy just murdered AA on this deal LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • brianinwi

Dickey is my favorite player in baseball, but I think this is a terrific deal for the Mets. One top 10 prospect at a position the Mets have had a hard time filling, a stopgap majorleaguer/backup until D'Arnaud is ready, a good power pitching prospect, and a really young outfielder for a 38-year old knuckleballer and a couple of mediocre catchers?

This is the way to rebuild.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsfanforlife

And if these guys don't pan out, it's still smart to get rid of the best pitcher in baseball?

Who thinks this way? I hope you don't give professional advice for a living!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • metsheart

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613165.html

from Baseball America March 25, 2012:

"Wlimer Becerra played baseball in Venezuela and later worked as a scout for the Cardinals and the Rangers. Becerra last year worked with Ciro Barrios and helped coach is son, Wuilmer Becerra, who signed with the Blue Jays for $1.3 million in July. Before he had signed, Becerra had played in the Liga Paralela (the minors of the Venezuelan League) last winter and went 8-for-26 (.346) with a home run, a double, no walks and eight strikeouts. Becerra showcased for teams at shortstop and the outfield, but he's a much better fit off the dirt and will play the outfield for the Blue Jays.

Becerra, 17, has size (6-foot-4, 190 pounds), athleticism and plus-plus speed in the 60-yard dash, which he's run in 6.6 seconds, although he doesn't get out of the box quick enough to get 70 grades from home to first. For some scouts, Becerra was one of the better righthanded hitters on the international market last year, though there was some disagreement about scouts on his bat. Becerra has a good combination of size, strength and raw power, and some scouts felt he had good plate coverage and feel for hitting. Others contend he's not as sharp in game situations as he is in BP because he tends to get around the ball with length to his stroke and an uppercut swing, which isn't uncommon for Latin American amateurs.

In the field, Becerra's days at shortstop were short-lived due to his size, actions, hands and below-average arm. He fits better in center field, where he shows a better arm stroke than he does in the infield, though with his size he'll likely get so big that he'll end up in left field. Part of it may depend on how much of his speed Becerra is able to retain, especially given his unusual build with narrow shoulders, short arms and wide hips. Several scouts praised Becerra for his makeup and work ethic and he has impressed Blue Jays coaches early. If he develops as the Blue Jays hope, he could become a corner outfielder with a power/speed combination."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a decent bet to me. ESPECIALLY for Nickeas!!!!

Edited 12/17/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • hammr1952
at least he is not 25 lol.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsheart
Turned 18 Oct 1st. Could really turn out to be good.

Even if not -- worth taking him just to get rid of Nickeas!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • brianinwi

Gotta give to get. Is it a risk? Yes, so's life. Dickey's played hurt the last two seasons. What if next year's the year his 38-year old frame decides it's not going to take it anymore and he completely breaks down?

It's a good deal. Most winning teams win by stockpiling young talent. Not all of them pan out, but you make sure you have enough in reserve so that the odds favor you fielding enough talent to win.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsheart
Hit the nail on the head!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • brianinwi
It will be interesting to see whether Becerra or Nimmo make it to the majors first.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid
It could be a good deal for both teams if Dickey helps lead them to the playoffs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • _BigNick

They're already discovering some of Dickey's alternative value:

"

This is data from his time with the Mets (2010-2012)

Mets relievers after Dickey: 205 IP, 3.47 ERA, 196/76 K/BB (2.6:1)

Mets relievers after anyone else: 1208.2, 4.30 ERA, 1042/541 K/BB (1.9:1)

This is consistent with the results I got for Tim Wakefield, except with a bigger improvement in K/BB.

I now have over 350 innings after knucklers compared to about 2000 innings after other pitchers. That's approaching something significant.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this effect is worth a good 5 runs (ie. a win) if it is indeed real. I have my doubts about the next day starter thing, but it could add even more value.
"

• Reply to this Message