• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Interesting take on trade
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • 1986champs

Tyler Kepner, New York Times: “By trading Dickey to the Toronto Blue Jays, pending the negotiation of a contract extension, the Mets essentially told their fans that they do not expect to contend for the next three years. The Mets have already staggered through four consecutive losing seasons, three shy of the franchise record. Now the wait to be relevant drags on.”

He does have a point, when you keep trading for prospects only, you basically are stalling and hoping. I don't think this trade was bad but too think this is going to solve the losing, I don't see it. This team does not have a QUALITY MAJOR LEAGUE OUTFIELDER on the roster or even in the system. How does this get fixed ? Alot of questions need to be answered for this team, I have been a fan since '69 and it starting to look like the mid-70's all over again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
How is this an interesting take? If we had Dickey, we'd still only win 75 games.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • murphstates
We have to hope they either spend some money or the arms develop and we can trade for position players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • danthemetfan
The fact that they do not have a 'quality major league outfielder' is WHY they traded Dickey. He was wasted on this team. The Mets have more holes than just OF. They need a good Catcher (if it works out, this trade fixed that for years to come), good BP, starting pitching depth (another check from this trade, albeit not for two years), and yes OF. No one trade or FA signing would fix this team. This was a necessary move, and a good step back to relevancy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsheart
" This team does not have a QUALITY MAJOR LEAGUE OUTFIELDER on the roster or even in the system. How does this get fixed ?"

Is the offseason over yet?? Not possible more trades to be done??
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • forceout6
LOL as soon as I read this on metsblog, I just knew somebody was going to post it on the messageboard to troll up ons. Too predictable anymore.

Edited 12/17/12   by  forceout6
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nocedog
I don't think that's an interesting take at all. It's one that any whiner on this board could have served up. Everyone knew the mets had to rebuild and were a couple of years away. This makes the potential future SO much brighter. Anyone focused on 2013, especially a professional writer, is just clueless
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • fargol

"He does have a point, when you keep trading for prospects only, you basically are stalling and hoping."
It's called rebuilding for the future and not doing trades for the sake of making trades.

The Mets and SA are in a tough position whether fans up here want to see or not. When a team
has this many holes, trades become hazardous since you can't create any new holes.

Dickey's 38. He still has, I'm sure, at least 2 or 3 good years left. Had they kept him and signed him to a similar contract, that would be even less $$$ to spend.

So if we kept him, as far as I'm concerned, that would have sent the same message.

And yes - when you get prospects, you're hoping. And when you sign a big name player to a large contract, you do some hoping too.

1. Stock up on prospects.
2. Down a road a year or two, you find out which ones will fill which spots on the roster.
3. Fill remaining holes with FA's or trade players from an area where you have "excess".

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 1986champs
Only time will tell, they are just prospects.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Oldfan

I don't see that as being the case.

Starting 2013, the roster will have a good mix of vets and extremely talented young players (d'Arnaud, Wheeler, Harvey). By 2014, there should be enough money to add solid free agents.

By 2014-2015, the Mets lower-level top prospects should have advanced to the point of being close to ML-ready to either help the Mets or to be used as trade chips.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • danthemetfan
That is a classic "im not a real fan" gripe. The two players the Mets got that are prospects, are better than every player the Mets have in the minors, except for Wheeler, who interestingly enough came via trade in similar fashion - old player who wasnt going to help the Mets anymore, but could help someone else. They also slightly upgraded at catcher with Buck over Thole, and will get someone else. This is a good deal just for the prospects themselves. If they dont pan out, they dont pan out. There is no guarantee Dickey would repeat last year anyway. That is true for every player in the league. Past success does not mean future success, but it is an indicator of possibility.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • oceans48
Here's another interesting take: BS! lol IMO, this team is starting to build the right way. Pitching is always the key. You might have a major problem in a few years deciding who really is the #1 starter on this team: Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Syndergaard, Fullmer, Mejia, Familia, Tapia, etc.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • marvelousmarvin
We weren't going to be relevant for a few years WITH Dickey. Now, relevance might be a small step closer.
  • Reply to this Message