• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Santana is next year's trade
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • stoobey
Pretty clear what Sandy's plan is. And I think he is doing right by the fans. I suspect that after Santana proves he is a difference-maker again and healthy, Sandy will shop him into the AL West or Central race and see what kind of outfielder he can get in return - can anyone say Trumbo? I further suspect that two years into a Harvey, Wheeler, D'Arnaud, Trumbo, Davis, Nimmo world, we will have to make a big free agent signing to push us over the top. It feels like 1982 again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
Only problem is Santana is no longer a difference maker. He's washed up. We should just be glad that his contract is going away.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Oldfan

why would a playoff contender want a guy who hasn't finished the regular since he's been a Met?

Even if he's doing well, I don't see any better than a little salary relief and if that's the case, he may have more value to the Mets for a little attendance booth.

If Sandy can flip Santana for a top prospect, he should win Exec of the year? Wonder if that's ever been done with a 4th place finish?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • MetObserver
For the first half of last year he was a difference maker and if he does that again this year I can see a team at the deadline dealing for him if they are a starter away from staying in the competition.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Oldfan

They also saw his train-wreck 2nd half and no team can be sure if it was due to ankle, back or shoulder. With his decreased velocity, Santana's margin for error is pretty slim.

Yes, some team may take him, but I can't see anyone trading a top prospect or banking their playoff hopes on a guy who hasn't proven he can pitch extended innings.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Santana is worthless unless the Mets eat almost all of his salary.

Even then he's still probably worthless.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
2.76 ERA on July 5th last year before hurting his ankle.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • murphstates
Why would a playoff contender be interested in a pitcher who won't be able to pitch in the post season?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid

>>>"Only problem is Santana is no longer a difference maker. He's washed up. We should just be glad that his contract is going away."<<<

I don't agree. Johan looked excellent the first half of last year. All he needs to do is have a good first half, and he'll have value at the trade deadline. The Mets will have to eat a chunk of his 2nd half money, but we'll get good talent back from a contender.

Edited 12/17/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

He won't with his injury history... If anything, last season hurt his value a lot.

He has serious durability issues.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
Do you really think that his second half collapse (which I predicted, of course) was due to the ankle roll? There is much more to it. Due to his shoulder surgury, Johan has no durability (or velocity). He's better off being a closer for us this season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • KLake409
Ok if he can start off the season really good the Mets should probably eat most of his salary
and trade him for a decent prospect or 2 it makes sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • murphstates
I don't see how. The Mets have already said they're looking for about 180 innings out of Santana. That's not going to get anyone through the season pitching effectively and his option converts at 215 innings. In the first half of 2012 he made 17 starts and threw 103 innings.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Oldfan

After rolling his ankle, his first start after the AS break against the Braves was a good one. He started strong, had some mishaps around the 5th, then the wheels came off for the rest of the season.

I have a tough time believing a sprain of his non-push ankle, before the break, caused him to miss most of the 2nd half.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • KLake409
He started going downhill right after the No-Hitter (the Yankees killed him in his very next start)
so maybe if he doesn't throw 136 pitches in a game (or change his routine to give him extra rest)
he could go a whole season and pitch well, but if he starts the season pitching good they probably should eat his salary and get a good prospect of 2 (they probably aren't going to contend in 2013 anyway).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Do you really think that his second half collapse (which I predicted, of course) was due to the ankle roll? "

Yes. Look at his game log, The 3 games he pitched prior to hurting his ankle he threw 20 innings and allowed just 2 runs for a 1.80 ERA and this all came AFTER the no hitter.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • PrayedforBay
The best possible outcome we can hope for is to garner any interest in Santana. We just need somebody to take him off our hands. Even if we don't even get a player in return, just to take him and part of his salary.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • joemets22
The problem with Johan's trade value is by Sandy's own optimistic opinion the team "would be lucky if we got more than 150 innings out of him next year". The team doesn't think he's going to be ready to complete a full season yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 86kid

>>>"He won't with his injury history... If anything, last season hurt his value a lot. "<<<

He had an injury history before this season and was coming off a surgery, and yet he had an excellent first half. I am not saying his value is huge and can get is another TDA or Wheeler, but I think with a first half even close to what he did this year, he will have good value in July. A contender will have great interest in a proven veteran lefty bulldog like him.

>>>"He has serious durability issues."<<<

Everyone knows his injury risks. But he is also a bulldog who's pitched through some injuries. I that the league knows the risks & rewards of the situation, and he will still have good value.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 4545_ajd
When did he say this?
  • Reply to this Message