• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Extension Done!
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
Sorry haters, but the Mets have finally done something positive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • joemets22

Why is anyone a hater for having wanted to keep a Cy Young award winner?

If the Wilpons actually wanted to win and were willing to spend, we wouldn't have to trade an ace to fill other holes.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud

I agree...but we are nowhere close to contending. So given the circumstances, this deal made sense.

The people who hate on TDA are the same guys who overrate guys like Duda and Tejada. The same people who wouldn't want us to trade Nimmo for Cargo, etc.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • MetObserver
Willing to spend and being able to spend are two very different things. Without money to put into the team it seems that spending will not occur until the Mets start to make some money themselves.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
It's nice to see the team taking steps to building a long-term contender.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
Spend on what? There were really only a few players that could have helped this team out anyway, and honestly it still wouldn't have been enough. That's how far away they are.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • joemets22
I'm not hating on TDA. The only hate I have goes to the Wilpons. They're the reasons we had to take this path to trade a Cy Young to fill holes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud

I still think we should sign Bourn.

And we def could have signed Soria, Fujikawa, Wilson, Madson, Soriano...

• Reply to this Message
Message 546592.9 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
I despise the Wilpons. I'm thier biggest hater. But I still think that Dickey needed to go. He was too old and too much of a fluke.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • KLake409
Nobody is overrating anyone Tejada is a good deal b.c Reyes got $109M from the Marlins (and they wised up quickly and traded him away), and Duda has the raw power to hit 40HRs (so it doesn't hurt to give him a chance to see how much he actually will hit over a full season,
especially considering nobody believes the Mets will actually contend in 2013 anyway).
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
Oh god lol. TDA will be a start to come. Dickey will fall back to reality.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
LOL DUDA will not hit 40 HRs. Hardly anyone does that at this point. It's hard to take these kinds of predictions seriously. If a fan from another team came on here talking about how some random OFer was going to hit 40HRs, you'd laugh in his face. Please try to be objective when analyzing the Mets.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520
bourne,yes.leadoffs hitters like him arent available every year.but the others? im happy with just bourne and youth every where else for a year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • metsheart

"I still think we should sign Bourn.

And we def could have signed Soria, Fujikawa, Wilson, Madson, Soriano"

And give up HOW many draft picks?

Do you want this team to have 2013 CHANCE for playoffs & then be out of contention for next 5+ yrs??

Isn't Omar signing so many FAs a BIG part of the problem w/ lack of talent in current Mets farm system???

Edited 12/17/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • joemets22
You're only looking at it from the scope of this offseason if you say that. If they had spent along the way while building the system, no they wouldn't have had to do this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • joemets22
He's definitely not a fluke. He's had success 3 years in a row now. And obviously he's going to have longevity as a knuckler.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Duda is terrible. When will people realize this?

Every team has a Duda in their farm system.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
I don't think we would have had to give up draft picks for anyone other than Bourn. The other guys didn't get offered arbitration.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Maybe true, but they still wouldn't have built a team that could last. And they'd have the same problem with aging stars that they do now... It's a vicious cycle and it doesn't help the team win anything.

The franchise needs infusion of young talent who can be here for a long time. Sandy has picked up three huge pieces for guys that weren't going to help this team accomplish anything.

• Reply to this Message