• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• John Sickels updated top 20 Mets prospects
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • mcmet69

THIS LIST ASSUMES THE DICKEY TRADE GOES THROUGH AS PROJECTED.

1) Travis D'Arnaud, C, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Should be acquired from Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade. He's not perfect, but D'Arnaud is either the best catching prospect in baseball or the second-best behind Mike Zunino. Could use a bit more polish with his throwing and his plate discipline and immediate stardom is unlikely, but overall he's the complete package. Don't expect him to be Mike Piazza, but he should be a long-term solution.

2) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Aside from some control wobbles in Triple-A, he had a terrific year. Projects as a number two starter. Can he duplicate what Matt Harvey did? It's possible.

3) Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Acquired in Dickey trade. He's ahead of where Wheeler was at age 20. Strong sinking fastball, good changeup, breaking stuff coming around, solid command, good body, good makeup, strong sabermetric profile. Just needs to stay healthy. I like him more than many people do, but I really like him.

4) Wilmer Flores, 3B-2B, Grade B+: Borderline B. I am impressed with the progress he made last year developing his power, and he's still just 21. There are still significant questions about his defense and how his bat will fit into a lineup, but progress is progress.

5) Michael Fulmer, RHP, Grade B: Borderline B-: Strong performance in Low-A, impressive fastball/slider combination. Development of changeup, command, and durability concerns over cross-body mechanics lead to some questions about future role, but he could be a mid-rotation guy eventually. Another guy I'm laying a bet on. Maybe a bad idea when it comes to pitchers, but I'm operating on very little sleep tonight.

6) Jeurys Familia, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. Another hard-thrower with command issues and question about his role. I've been in the starter camp but am now leaning towards the bullpen. Even slight command improvement could make him significant contributor in 2013.

7) Luis Mateo, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. Love the arm and he blew away the NY-P, however, he is in the age cohort of a college senior at age 22 so take the raw stats (2.45 ERA, 85/9 K/BB in 73 innings) with a grain of salt. That said, he throws quite hard and if his changeup comes around he is another mid-rotation arm for the future. If he repeats this at higher levels, he'll zoom up the lists quickly in '13 and this grade could look too low.

8) Brandon Nimmo, OF, Grade B-: Very patient, showed some pop in the New York-Penn League, but his athleticism and speed weren't as good as advertised. Will need more power if he has to move to an outfield corner.

9) Gavin Cecchini, SS, Grade B-: Baseball rat type, 2012 first rounder, good polish on defense, but hitting in rookie ball wasn't as good as I was led to expect when he was in high school. Young enough to get a lot better, of course.

10) Rafael Montero, RHP, Grade B-: Another product of the Mets pitching pipeline in Latin America, thrived in Low-A and High-A. Good command of low-90s fastball, and has a solid slider and improving changeup, throws strikes. Another potential mid-rotation starter.

11) Domingo Tapia, RHP, Grade B-: Here's another one, gets up to 98 MPH, erratic but promising in Low-A, needs a better breaking ball to remain a starter, but another high-ceiling guy.

12) Cory Mazzoni, RHP, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Inconsistent after promotion to Double-A and long-term role is uncertain, but could be another mid/back-rotation or bullpen candidate within the next two years. Low-to-mid-90s, good slider, but splitter wasn't completely effective.

13) Jake DeGrom, RHP, Grade C+: Older prospect at age 24 due to lost Tommy John season, but has a nasty sinker, an athletic body, throws strikes, and was sharp statistically with a 2.43 ERA and 96/20 K/BB in 111 innings in A-ball. Significant sleeper prospect.

14) Kevin Plawecki, C, Grade C+: Purdue catcher is a skilled contact hitter with a very solid glove. Didn't post eye-popping numbers in the NY-P, but I think he has growth potential. Presence of D'Arnaud means Plawecki won't have to be rushed.

15) Matt Den Dekker, OF, Grade C+: Offers left-handed power, can steal a base, and a fine glove in the outfield, but excessive strikeout inclination will likely preclude a good batting average and OBP. Should make a solid fourth outfielder.

16) Cory Vaughn, OF, Grade C+: Very productive in Florida State League (23 homers, 21 steals, 65 walks) but has a strikeout habit (114) and hit just .243. Turns 24 in May so he can't afford a slow start in Double-A.

17) Logan Verrett, RHP, Grade C+: Another college-trained strike-thrower (the Mets have several) who could be a surprise in 2013 if he adds another half-tick to his fastball or adds something to his changeup. Thrived in A-ball (2.70 ERA, 93/13 K/BB in 103 innings). Sleeper who would get more play in an organization with less pitching.

18) Jack Leathersich, LHP, Grade C+: Strikeout relief king, fanned 113 in 72 innings (read that again) in A-ball, with 3.00 ERA and gave up just 51 hits. He also walked 32 guys, so he's got work to do, but fastball/curve combination would take him a long way with even slight improvement in his command.

19) Danny Muno, INF, Grade C+: Not toolsy, but just knows how to play. Hit .280/.387/.412 in High-A, with 19 steals, 50 walks in 352 PA. Steady defense. Would make a fine utility guy.

20) Phillip Evans, SS, Grade C+: Higher ceiling than Muno but further away. His bat wasn't quite as good as advertised, but his glove was better than expected, and he has as chance to stick at shortstop. Will move to Low-A at age 20 in 2013.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Oldfan

Pretty interesting and much different than BA's list.

I think the Mets will need to find a position for Flores' bat, even if its a corner OF position to start and a possible replacement for Ike if/when he becomes too expensive,

The n#1 prospect is from the Dickey trade and after TDA and Wheeler are brought up, it looks like the trade will still produce the #1 prospect for a few years.

Overall, Sickels appears to very impressed with the pitching. Not so much with the position players. It seems he doesn't think much of Nimmo or Cecchini.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • bbjmparis

1) Travis D'Arnaud, C, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Should be acquired from Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade. He's not perfect, but D'Arnaud is either the best catching prospect in baseball or the second-best behind Mike Zunino. Could use a bit more polish with his throwing and his plate discipline and immediate stardom is unlikely, but overall he's the complete package. Don't expect him to be Mike Piazza, but he should be a long-term solution.

He also has a bum knee. Met "doctors" say they're not worried...but given the track record of Met doctors, I'd be very worried,

Don't expect him to be Mike Piazza...may not be the best catching prospect....we gave up a Cy Young winner who works pretty cheap. We aught to be getting back a guy with a chance to be Mike Piazza or J Bench...instead we get what? A guy with a chance to become Thole? Be still my beating heart.

This is what some fans are jumping for joy over? Must be masochists who enjoy watching lousy losing baseball. We'll be seeing a lot of that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
Which prospect would you have been happy with?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Kranesback
I know that people here tend to ridiculously overrate their prospects, but looking at that list, it really looks as if half the guys in that top ten could go on to become productive major leaguers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • 1986champs
Or they can go in the direction of the FMarts,Ochoa's,Pelfrey's,Milledge's. You just don't know when it comes to prospects, thats why they are called prospects. In fact, when it comes to Piazza he wasn't even a top prospect for the Dodgers and was converted to catcher by Lasorda.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • djiboutirox
I like this list
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Kranesback
I understand and that's why I said half. My point was it's looking like our top ten is now as good as anybody else's whereas in the recent past, half of the guys in our top ten would not crack another team's top 20. I mean Reese Havens spent more time on our top ten list than he probably ever will uin the majors.

Edited 12/17/12   by  Kranesback
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • spydermet
I do think he has a lot of potential. My concerns are that his knees won't hold up behind the plate and it will then affect his hitting. Just as with Jesus Montero, TDA may prove to be a more effective DH than catcher.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nocedog
I think he actually had nimmo in his top 100 midseason list. He likes nimmo a lot. He might have gotten ripped for that placement and gone conservative
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • spydermet

"My point was it's looking like our top ten is now as good as anybody else's whereas in the recent past, half of the guys in our top ten would not crack another team's top 20."

You sound overly thrilled by this. Other fans sound the same way. I am more interested in the 25 man roster playing in the Majors than the top 20 prospects. I think some fans have the wrong priority.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Kranesback
Because even with this deal, the 25 man roster for next year is still going to be pathetic. We are still short by three outfielders and at least two bullpen arms...there is not even any definite word that Darnaud will be on the opening day roster, so as it stands now, we will probably not be as good in 2013 as we were in 2012. However, in spite of the stupid Wright contract, this at least shows some semblance of a plan to make us competitive in the future. It may take another roster turnover of all these prospects, but if we stay on this path, we can certainly be competitive in the next decade...maybe sooner.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • spydermet

"Because even with this deal, the 25 man roster for next year is still going to be pathetic. We are still short by three outfielders and at least two bullpen arms...there is not even any definite word that Darnaud will be on the opening day roster, so as it stands now, we will probably not be as good in 2013 as we were in 2012. "

This is my point. Fawning over prospects doesn't change the situation you described.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • danthemetfan
Neither does keeping a pitcher who pitches once every 5 days on a team that wins 74 games. The team this year was not going to be much better, but if they can make the teams after this year better its a move they have to make.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • brianinwi
No Jenry Mejia? Is that because you are assuming he starts the year in Queens, or because you don't think he's that talented?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • djiboutirox
he doesnt qualify. neither does harvey
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • brianinwi
Oh, OK. Didn't realize that. Fair enough.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • 86mex17
very different from other lists and I dont personally agree with it, However all of these lists are opinionated by scouts etc. , particularly on wheeler #2? From what Ive read and heard they say an ace possible cy young awards but whatever I guess they all agree on the fact that they look pretty damm good.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nocedog

Literally no one said it did

You're making a point that EVERYONE knows

And doesn't change the evaluation of this trade.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • edmet
based on this i am more convinced that we should try and sign bourn. we dont appear to have anyone like him in system close to majors. he would replace reyes as leodoff hitter in premium defensive position, CF. what were they willing to pay reyes, 5yrs/$15m per? bourn is about the same age as reyes and has a history of staying healthy, playing 150games or so a yr. with victorino 3yrs $39m and pagan 4yrs $40m maybe we can get bourn at a good price.
  • Reply to this Message