• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• wonder what it would take to get Trumbo here....
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • DFAB

he would be a great fit obviously...

Flores+Familia+DD/Kirk? Perhaps we could take on Wells as well to make it more feasible for both sides? That would actually make sense for both sides. The Mets need a CF and RF along with a RH power bat. Wells and Trumbo fit that well. The Angels, while getting 2 top prospects and a mid level prospect, would also get a good amount of salary relief that would potentially allow them to sign Bourne. If we got Wells, perhaps we could defer 10m of his 2013 salary and pay him 5m in 2015 and 2016.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546570.2 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • jgrangers2
There's almost no way the Mets take Wells' contract and I wouldn't want them too. Trumbo isn't worth that albatross unless the Angels pay a significant portion of it like they did when they sent us Gary Matthews.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

I don't want Wells.

I'd like us to avoid taking on older players who already major contract failures in their past. We just got rid of Bay.

I am also not crazy about giving up multiple prospects were we ended up giving up more bodies than we are getting. The idea should be to add depth.

If it can be worked out for Trumbo only, then maybe. But I don't want Welles.

I don't see either happening though.

Peter Bourjos I could see happening.

Edited 12/16/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • DFAB
I think he is going to HAVE to since I don't see the wilpons spending anything...even though they have stated multiple times that payroll will be around 100m next season. That should at LEAST give them 25m to spend....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • DFAB
well the only reason why I suggested Wells was to make trading Trumbo more appealing to the Angels. If we took on just half of the contract and traded Flores OR Familia plus DD/Kirk, that would be an even better trade. I don't necessarily want Wells either but if it puts Trumbo here for at least the next 5 or so years, it might be worth it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • jsmet

wonder what it would take to get Trumbo here....

Niese

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • DFAB
wouldn't trade Niese for Trumbo...
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546570.9 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • _BigNick
Need more in that package, and I'm sure they want now pieces back since he's a now piece going. Don't really want him honestly.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546570.11 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • metsicle
Trumbo is pretty awful defensively. I'd rather get Bourgos (sp?) who will cost a lot less & he's considered to be an elite defensive CFer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • bucknerismyhero
I agree I would rather trade for Bourjos. We do not have a legitimate CF on the roster. Niewenhuis is probably better suited for a corner OF, and corner OFs are much easier to come by down the road than a CF who can produced a 4.5 WAR just two years ago...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • DFAB
I wouldn't mind Bourjos but I would not give up ANYTHING significant for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • DFAB
the defense isn't great obviously but getting a young power bat for RF who is under cheap control for a while would be nice...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • viper99
Speaking of Peter Bourjos, his numbers are not that good. He can catch the ball but so can Den Dekker and Capt. Kirk. The Mets best options are to bring back Hairston, platoon him with Baxter and hopefully put together another good trade for a LF by using Duda/Flores/Valdespin, etc.
  • Reply to this Message