• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• NICE JOB SANDY
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

Assuming there are no snags with Dickey signing the extension with the Jays, props to Sandy on this deal.

He wanted a "difference maker" for Dickey, and he held out for it, and he got it. Patience is something Sandy has, and it has paid off again.

The #1 ranked best catching prospect in baseball (# 11 Prospect overal ). Travis should be good - I hope..lol

Plus he gets the Jays #3 prospect ( #83 in MBL) flame throwing, Noah Syndergaard. Scouts think he will be a front of rotation pitcher.

Our young rotation by 2014 could very well be excellent..
Wheeler/Harvey/Syndergaard/Neise/Mejia ...etc

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • sheadro
The way Sandy played the market is nothing short of spectacular. If fans don't appreciate it or finally see the plan here then they are lost

Edited 12/16/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • BigTon
You gotta give the guy props.He didn't make a move for the sake of making a move,most likely told the Jays no "Arencibia" and held out for D'Arnoud.Add to that decent pitching prospect/possible trading chip and some cash,no problems with this trade whatsoever.I must admit,i was a Sandy doubter after a stagnant couple of months but this move has swayed me a bit.

Edited 12/16/12   by  BigTon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid
Fans are entitled to their opinions I guess, but I find some of them to be very reactionary and not forward thinking a lot of times. We will have to see how these kids pan out, but regardless of whether they do or not, it was good trade on it's face that was made by Sandy. He wanted a "difference maker" and he got it. Just like he did for Beltran.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • JoseJose
I don't see it. Doesn't the catching prospect have a bum knee? And the 83rd best PROSPECT? We traded the Cy Yound award winner. I hope I am wrong but I don;t see the need for celebration. And how do you praise Sandy when you look at our outfield and bullpen?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

I've been a Sandy supporter. He has good across the board skill sets for this type of job. But he is by no means perfect, and like any other GM, he does on occasion make the wrong choice.

Let's face it, he walked into a franchise that was a mess, and it has, and will, take time to fix it.

I understand that some fans get frustrated with the losing, and all the Wilpon stuff, but that wasn't really Sandy's fault. I made up my mind from day one to give him time to get this things headed in the right direction.

Edited 12/16/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Moses0507
You can't be this stupid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 4545_ajd

He had a knee injury no a bumb knee, Buster Posey had a much worse knee injury and won the MVP this year.

Syndergaard was 83 but will be much higher when the new rankings come out, he just turned 20 and is highly ranked, neither Wheeler or Harvey were even in the minors yet when they were his age.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • BigTon
This was one move of many that are sure to come Jose.I'm not hip to the knee injury but if it was a big deal i'm sure they would have not gone through with the deal.It's not like we traded Verlander or Halladay.....this is R.A. Dickey.Yes he had a CY Young season but look at what his career year got us...4th place.I would rather struggle a little while watching some good up and coming talent develop
than watch another great season pitched by Dickey squandered when we end up back in 4th.Think of how exciting it was to watch Wright come up mid season and provide a little spark to a struggling 2004 Met team.I'm looking forward to D'Arnoud(if deal actually happens) doing the same at some point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

... I'll stop short of calling him names. People have a right to not like the deal if they want to. I completely disagree with him.

I also don't get where the bum knee stuff is coming from. He had an injury to a part of the knee which is said to be one of the easier one's to heal up. The doctors from both sides have no concerns about it at all.

I also don't get how being a Top 100 prospect - which Syndergaard is, somehow he now not being lower level guy. The reports I read say he's got plus major league stuff, and could be a front of rotation pitcher at this level

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • forceout6
Didn't require surgery, and he hurt it sliding into second. I figure you be trollin', but just incase you're actually a person, its a real good deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • fargol

"If fans don't appreciate it or finally see the plan here then they are lost "

Some are just going to hate him no matter what. Probably lingering anger over picking Collins over Backman.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • sheadro
You realize Syndergaad is only 19 right? To be a top 100 prospect at his age in A ball says a lot about how well he projects. There are lots of guys on that list above him who are more major league ready that scout don't think half as much about and dontbhave close to his ceiling. In 2 years he could very well be one of the elite pitching prospects in baseball. And maybe just maybe our scouts did work and believe that to be the case because their job duties require more than just reading Keith Law's ranking and saying #30 is a better number than #83
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • jgrangers2
By their standards, Buster Posey had a bum knee too. All he did this year was win an MVP and lead his team to the World Series.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • forceout6

By their standards, Buster Posey had a bum knee too. All he did this year was win an MVP and lead his team to the World Series.

^^^^^ THIS x10000

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

>>>"And maybe just maybe our scouts did work and believe that to be the case because their job duties require more than just reading Keith Law's ranking and saying #30 is a better number than #83"<<<

LOL

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid
True. Sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder. It seems the oft time a person can't win on here. If he does nothing, then people complain about that. If he does something, it is never good enough...etc. I'm sure that even if we had gotten Myers+Ordorizz+two other KC prospects, there would still a couple of folks on here saying it was an awful trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Melo15nym

"Doesn't the catching prospect have a bum knee?"

Yeah, from like three years ago. Go look at what he did in AAA this year.

"And the 83rd best PROSPECT?"

He's ranked 83rd because he's still in A ball and only 19 years old. Once he reaches AA/AAA he will be ranked much higher.

"And how do you praise Sandy when you look at our outfield and bullpen?"

And catcher. I guess you were fine with Thole.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • jgrangers2

Some people can't allow themselves to be happy with anything. Regardless of what Sandy did here, some people were going to complain about it. Had we extended him, I'd bet a lot of people complaining about this trade would be asking what the point of keeping him was.

The other half of it is that some people lack any sort of patience and see moves that aren't designed to make the team better right now as somewhat of a waste of time.

Edited 12/16/12   by  jgrangers2
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

True...
What also kills is is how some equate Fred or Sandy's desire to win, with spending. "show the fans you care about the team and raise the payroll to XYZ"... Well, there are more ways to build a team than to continuously throw money at free agents. It doesn't mean you care any more or any less, just because you take the spending road, or the development road.

And as you say... there is a lack of patience among some the wait for whatever fruit might grow. But by being impatient, and wanting to often throw money at problems, we only end up back on the same hamster wheel we've been on for the last 25 years. A slave to free agency, and having to reinvent our roster each year after yet another failure.

There is no assurance this youth and building path will work, but I'd much rather invest in the long term at this point, than getting back into checkbook baseball.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 6:16 PM
JSRanger: Fielder a Princess?
Latest by jsmet - 6:15 PM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by ellenbronx - 6:15 PM
Wright is clutch
Latest by jsmet - 6:13 PM
April trades like this are rare especially for the Mets
Latest by truthhertz - 6:13 PM