• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• WHATS HE WAITING FOR?
Message 546518.1 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • mets13385
Legal stuff like contracts usually take more than an hour to finalize, I'm guessing...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid
I think that the Jays know what Dickey wants, and I think this gets done. As you say, there is a a lot a legal and mop-up details to do. The Jays don't like press leaks before things are totally complete.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 4545_ajd
Dickey doesn't speak Canadian, it takes longer when it has to go through a translator.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • mysticpiazza

Well consider this. Maybe he wants to continue being a Met and now they're shipping him off to Canada AND expecting him to want to sign beyond 2013. Sometimes these things go beyond money. I think the onus (and blame?) is shifting on Dickey's shoulders at this point.

Here's a question: If there was a slim chance this deal fell through because Dickey didn't want to sign an extension with Toronto and he ended up staying with the Mets for 2013, what kind of fan backlash would you expect? He IS a fan favorite, but how many fans would blame him for preventing the Mets from rebuilding?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • djiboutirox
he would be ostracized
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • mysticpiazza
How hard can it be? Dickey should go rent, "Strange Brew." ;^)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

I see what you did there. lol

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • mets13385

I'd have to think that during these multiple days of negotiating with the blue jays that someone from the mets organization had to have been talking to Dickey about what's going on. It had to have been discussed with him or at least asked to see if he would sign an extension with them. He had to be aware of what was going on.

If Dickey truly refused to be a Blue Jay, I don't think the negotiations would be where they are now. I'm thinking they're just crunching numbers right now. Typical negotiation type stuff.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546518.10 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • djiboutirox
yep, probably working on how much more to give him considering the canada tax stuff. probably gonna be a 2 year 28 million deal with incentives maybe
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • metrebel

>> I think that the Jays know what Dickey wants, and I think this gets done. As you say, there is a a lot a legal and mop-up details to do. The Jays don't like press leaks before things are totally complete.

I'm sure Dickey and the Jays have talked. I'm also sure the Mets have talked with Dickey about the extension. The Jays know what he wants. A contract is not just money and term. Are there any incentives and if so what are they. Is there a no trade clause. Once the Jays and Dickey agree on the structure of the contract eveything contains then it goes to the lawyers. When the lawyers are done it goes back to both parties for review and if they agree it gets signed. I haven't looked at any papers today, so I can't say if Dickey only has to agree to the extension, or he has to actually sign for the trade to go down.

• Reply to this Message