• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 2014: Extensions that should be considered.
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • DFAB

Ike, Murphy, and maybe Tejada

If Murphy has a year similar to this year (.300ish 40ish doubles, with at least average defense) he should be offered a 5 year extension starting in 2014, buying out his arb years and 3 FA years. The dollar amount would be around what Niese got at 25m. I believe he would be 33 at the end of the contract. The structure of the contract can look like this:

2014: 3m
2015: 4.5m
2016: 4.5m
2017: 7m
2018: 7m

Sprinkle in some incentives as well. Total = 5/26m plus incentives.

If Ike has another 30+ hr season with solid defense and brings his avg up to .260+ or so, offer him a 6 year extension for 42m with a 14m option/2m buyout.

2014: 3m
2015: 6m
2016: 6m
2017: 7m
2018: 10m
2019: 10m
2020: 14m option/2m buyout

Total = 6/42m - 7/56m plus incentives.

I think it is very important for us to extend both Ike and Murphy if they do have similar or better years in 2013 than they did in 2012. It would save the team money in the long run.

Tejada isn't as pressing to extend but I would consider it after next season as well. He still has 1 more year before arb starts. If he hits around .300 with GG caliber defense, I wouldn't mind seeing him extended for 6 years or so as well. Give him an annual average of 4-5m/year. If we can get our core of players signed long term below market value, that would help.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • murphstates

I agree with the idea, but the money isn't enough. MLB Trade Rumors has arbitration projections for every player and both Murphy and Davis are projected at $3 million for this year. If they both have good years it will be higher in 2014.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • DFAB
Initially the arb will be about the same as the 1st year of the contracts...maybe a LITTLE less...but they will make more after that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/17/12
  • DFAB
If Gee posts a sub 4.00 ERA next year maybe we can give him a cheap 4 year extension too
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
I think it's a little premature to slot Murphy and Tejada in as the 2B and SS of the future.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546508.6 was deleted
  • 12/17/12
  • alfolerud
His OPS is below .700. We can't carry our existing OF and a light hitter like Tejada.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • DFAB
I'm saying after next session we consider these extensions. We will have a good idea of what everyone is
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • nutz4pugs
What about Sandy? There's someone I think deserves an extension.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • oceans48
I applaud SA for what he just accomplished, but I feel he's still got a surprise, or two before the season starts. He seems very good at turning aging players into very good prospects. Our staff seems set for years to come, we've got a decent infield and now a prized C prospect. One RH bat for the OF and I'll give him a standing ovation.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • Matt H

I agree, Murphy and Davis are too players that need to be extended soon.

I'm not sure if I would extend Gee. I think Gee will be a trade chip eventually (with others) to help us gain maybe a solid outfielder or outfield prospect. I do not see him being traded this season since we need him in the rotation and we still have time until other pitchers are ready to come up to the majors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • skorpio520
ike.yes.tejada,yes hes great defensively even though im unsure about his bat.murph,idk yet.gee,no,atleast not right now.
  • Reply to this Message