• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why didnt we trade David Wright too?
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • thagreat1
Okay hear me out, Wright is definitely my favorite player but let's be honest here. About time all our prospects pan out it will be 2014 (the absolute earliest) and that is just when we will see flashes of talent instead of a full force championship contending team we won't see that until 2015 for 2016 David Wright will be 31 or 32 respectively by then what are we going to expect out of him then surly he will be on the verge of being past his prime. if we're going to start trading site young pictures for prospects in going for that you look you might as well go full forceAnd get ad much high ranked prospects as possible with the limited pieces we have. whatever big numbers wright puts up for the next 2 years will be a waste for we will not even make the playoffs (most likely). Why not get what we can for him now while his value is still high and have a promising future for years to come...
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546496.2 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • KYLESMETS315
Because he is the FACE of the franchise. He was here when we did have good years (2005-2008). He has proven success in the playoffs in 2006.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • thagreat1
face of the franchise I agree with he is a proven commodity in the playoffs sure but what I'm saying ishe's basically waisting his talents here for the next 3 years seeing how we will not be contending team until then. why not get some high rate prospects in the meantime so when we are contending will have something to show for it instead of a 33 yr. David Wright who is not at his glory years. Him being the golden boy doesn't help this club in Short term. (cellar dwelling years) or long term (Wright starting to fizzle).

Edited 12/16/12   by  thagreat1
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • metthunder
not my choice, but Wilponzis will need a fall guy
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • PrayedforBay

Please explain to me how you see early 30s as being too old? Look at the Yankees for crying out loud.

You are worried about David Wright turning 31? Are you nuts?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • spydermet

"I'm saying ishe's basically waisting his talents here for the next 3 years seeing how we will not be contending team until then."

That's his choice to make, not yours. Will you quit your job/ career if I think you are wasting your talent? He's a great player who chooses to play for our team. I'm appreciative for that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • MetObserver
You take the chance of the prospects you get never making it against the fizzling out you expect form DW. He may be good until the end of his current contract. After all he is not just a slugger or have his value tied to his legs. He is more of a contact hitter and goes the other way very well. There is no reason to think that he will suddenly drop off the edge of a cliff. He will be that veteran stabilizing influence on a young team in the future.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546496.9 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • thagreat1
never did I say he would be too old but think about it honestly tell me when you think the Mets will be playoff contending team let alone a championship contending team now I know anything can happen any give
year but realistically speaking 2015 seems like the year we make a splash. (if you feel otherwise please convince me how so). David will be 32 by then I just don't see how he would be that much of a bigger impact then say 2 or 3 high ranked prospects that would fill his void if we were to trade him now.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546496.11 was deleted
  • 12/16/12
  • jsmet2
Because to some people he is worhipped like the Golden Calf
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • thagreat1

"the Mets can win the WS in 2013. However unlikely you think it is with a little luck and a few good moves it could happen."

You can say that about every other professional sports team in the world. That doesn't give us that much of an edge now does it?

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • kaztast1c

Why does David Wright have to be the MVP of a future World Series winning team?

Why can't David Wright just be a solid veteran on a future WS winning team full of younger ballplayers?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • calimets14
Well said! Why does the talk of Wright being past his prime in 2 years seem to be a common thought? He plays 3rd not SS, he's a willing leader and he has handled all of the scrutiny like a true professional. I can remember quite a few "star" players in a Met uni that collapsed under the weight of playing in NY. Wright wants to be a Met and has been a great player so far. The "golden cow" or whatever the "trade him he's old "or my favorite "whiffboy" camps use may not remeber that the last time we won a WS was '86 that team was born of our farm system mainly but veterans like #17, Carter, Knight, etc... were what the young guys needed to accelerate the process of winning a championship. Can't do it with 24 yr olds at every spot on the field.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • nocedog
We shoulda.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Exactly.

What makes baseball great is the fact that most often, teams will find their equilibrium. The Mets had historic success with 2 outs and RISP in the first half of the last season, then they tanked the second. You can't fool the rest of the league for 162 games, and you're correct in saying that this team isn't nearly good enough to compete with the top two teams, and probably the top 3. Basically it's a fight for 4th this year... And honestly I don't care about that as long as the team is making the moves it has to make to get ready to compete in the future.

I wanted them to trade Wright too, but I understand the reason for signing him. This franchise needs some players to talk about in some positive regard 30 years down the line other than Seaver and the 86 team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • thegooch42
Because solid veteren players dont get 20 million a year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • cjct

proven success in the playoffs?

he hit about 200 in the playoffs he was bad!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • thegooch42
its funny how none of these wright fans seem to remember how bad he was in those playoffs, all they remember is beltrans at bat even though he had a wonderful playoffs
  • Reply to this Message