• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 2013: Another Horrible Season
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • haprecap

I have been a loyal, die-hard Mets fan since 1962. This Dickey trade is not bringing nearly enough back. Even if the catcher and other prospects pan out, a team in the country's #1 market should be expected to contend every year. Not have rebuilding years.

However, because the Wilpons lost so much money to Madoff, Mets fans will suffer through 2013 with a fourth place (Mets should beat out the Marlins) or last-place finish and, I believe, between 95-100 losses. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. Look at the other teams in the NL East (except for Florida.)

THE WILPONS SHOULD DO THE ADMIRABLE THING AND SELL THE METS to owners who can afford top-shelf players. Of course, the best free agents now are already signed.

It's awful as a fan to go into a season knowing your beloved team has ABSOLUTELY NO SHOT OF FINISHING AT .500.

The Wilpons might be victims of Madoff, but since then they have made Mets fans victims as well.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

After 4 consecutive 4th place finishes, I can't complain about the Mets finally doing the right thing and trading a player at his peak for a couple of very good prospects. I have little doubt the Mets will finish 4th again next year and don't care.

I can get behind a team that's headed in the right direction, instead of a losing team that somes back intact and adds guys like Ross & Ludwick. What would that do-allow the team to compete for 3rd if Atlanta or Philly was beseiged with injuries?

My only complaint about the 2013 Mets is that they should have done more to bring in more prospects.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • fargol

"My only complaint about the 2013 Mets is that they should have done more to bring in more prospects. "

They're done already?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • bbjmparis
You're right. The last time we traded a Cy Young winner for "prospects", it was Tom Seaver and we suffered through 7 years of 90+ loss seasons. If this deal happens we will stink till 2020.
I'm not so sure we'll beat out the fish in 2013 either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan
Yeah, not done yet (running out of trade chips), but was also referring to Reyes, Hairston and some of the BP arms Rauch, Ramirez, Izzy, etc). Not saying they would have brought back much. Hopefully, Francisco and Santana will bring back something at this year's deadline.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

Trading Seaver and Dickey aren't comparible, other than Dickey's CY Young.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12
i don't know why people keep bringing up the Seaver trade of 35 years ago as the reason we shouldn't deal RA today....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • pujols2010

No kidding the game has changed immensely since the days of seaver

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

the Seaver deal was made under completely different circumstances and for the absolute wrong reasons

this deal is NOWHERE near the mistake the Seaver trade was that people want to try to make it seem to be

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

I also wouldn't have had a problem with trading guys like Mike McCormick, Randy Jones, Pat Hentgen, etc. after they won the Cy. Their value was never higher than the offseason after they won the award.

The Padres eventually traded Jones to the Mets for John Pacella and Jose Moreno.

I think the Mets did a little better with d'Arnaud and Snydergaard

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • bbjmparis

Why is this deal different from the Seaver deal?

The deal was made for exactly the same reasons too. Cheap ownership trying to dump salary.

On paper, the Seaver deal was better. A Rookie of the year winner, and three top prospects is better than a Catching prospect with a bum knee, a hard throwing minor league pitcher and a journeyman catcher.

God save the Mets.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

we couldn't win with Dickey although there's no question a team COULD win with RA

the truth is we can't build around him fast enough,especially with this ownership's money woes

what's the sense of keeping a Cy Young winner if he and our third baseman are going to be "alone" out on the field for the next few seasons?

not one of the people criticizing the deal offer any kind of plan to win that includes Dickey in our future,not to sell tickets,but to win

sign Ross and Bourn??? really,when we can't afford Hairston?...and honestly signing both of them wouldn't be enough

fans have to be realistic

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

Seaver was being run out of town which was being helped along tremendously by tabloid ranting and ravings

it was NOT a salary dump it was a matter of the two sides burning bridges so that there was no middle ground that was attainable

completely different circumstances,completely different front office,completely different motives

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • gomets66

Seaver was being run out of town which was being helped along tremendously by tabloid ranting and ravings>>>>>

that was all on young of the daily news. it ended up seaver and mets agreed to a deal but seaver didnt sign and asked to be traded after another young column.

"That Young column was the straw that broke the back", Seaver said in 2007. "Bringing your family into it, with no truth whatsoever to what he wrote. I could not abide that. I had to go."

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • thebobymon

>>Hopefully, Francisco and Santana will bring back something at this year's deadline.<<

Salary relief.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

i remember,D---ick Young practically single handedly ran him out of town and i think it was over Seaver wanting to make $200,000 per year,and Young's articles got more and more personal

it was a sad,dark moment in Met history with Tom crying at the press conference

i was looking forward to getting back a Concepcion or a at least Ken Griffey but the package we got back was surprising and disappointing

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • edmet
i wont be suffering if i am watching harvey and darnaud develop. if the trade goes thru, we have something to look foward to. sign bourn and we could be a surprise contender.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • edmet
i agree, but we can sign hairston and try for born imo. plus darnaud and syndergaard and i will be thrilled. darnaud should win C job out of ST, or at least be up by june.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • 3bwright

Finally we are starting to see you can NOT do both -- WIN NOW and BUILD FOR THE FUTURE

This organization has been 1/2 in and 1/2 out for way to long

Having to bring in FA after FA to only lose key draft picks to rebuild their farm system

Just go back a few years to the amount of picks we lost due to signing FAs (who some helped must did not) and Bad Trades where we could have had picks brought back (Wagner to BOS)

I really like what they are doing bring in top young talent BUT with this is some may not become what reports think. Will some players have learning at the Bigs to do YES and they will make mistakes but as long as they learn from it I see it as a good thing.

Are guys like Harvey Wheeler TDA and more COULD have bad starts YES but as a fan base we have to not kill these guys before they settle in

Will 2013 be a losing year -- YES sorry to say that but look at the other teams in the division BUT GET OUT OF BAD CONTRACTS during the 2nd half play younger guys even if the OF - has Kirk DenDekker and DUDA -- I do not care about all being lefty I want to judge who can handle it and where we will not address for 2014

2013 for me once again will be to watch the New York Mets but to keep an eye on the minor leagues as the group of young players continue to move up the system

Fulmer should be in ST Lucie with deGrom and Verrett (if not part of deal - Logan was my pick to go to TOR) How will Ceciliani and Puello come back from a lost 2012 season??? My player to follow will be Lupo OF who will be (as much as know) coming to the States to play -- Most likely in Kingsport or the new GCL team

Also who the Mets draft in the upcoming draft --- I see another BAT being drafted this season and from mock drafts there are a few OFers with abilities (for a young player) -- THE TEAM IS MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION JUST TOOK WAY TO LONG TO FINALLY SEE IT FROM OWNERSHIP

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • spydermet

"I also wouldn't have had a problem with trading guys like Mike McCormick, Randy Jones, Pat Hentgen, etc. after they won the Cy. Their value was never higher than the offseason after they won the award."

Hopefully non of our players do well, if, according to you, that means trading them. You're theory of how to run a team will ensure that we will always be a last place team. How about keeping your best players and building around them?

• Reply to this Message