• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• No excuses Sandy (Wilpons) mets need OF help!!!!
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
Enough of this bargain basement type mentality, Mets obviously need help in the Outfield, show mets fans you actually care about putting a quality team on the field this coming season and spend some $$$ and bring in some quality players. After the Toronto deal is done (assuming it does get done and there are no outfielders coming from that) step up the effort and go get some guys that can play out there and perform well.... if it is Cody Ross or Vernon Wells (if the angels pay for most of his salary) or step up and go get Michael Bourn to play CF and bat lead off etc.... there's got to be better solutions out there than what the mets currently have so go and get the help that you know and mets fans need to feel good going into the season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • spydermet
My understanding was that Toronto was a good trade partner because they have a surplus at catcher and in the outfield. We should have gotten both to fill our needs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • trigg3r
Soriano and 26 million of the 36 owed to him is on the block.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • knarf0516
Soriano is a horror show in LF. Do you really want to ask him to try and cover more ground?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • bbjmparis
He can hardly move. He makes Duda look like a gold glove. No thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

Mets are a 4th place team in 2013, with or without Ross and or Vernon Wells. They're not part of the future.

If those are the options, I'd rather trot out Duda everyday and if den Dekker has a fast start in Vegas, bring him up in May/June. Play Nieuwenuis and Valdespin; re-sign Hairston for a RH bat. Let the kids get some PT against lefties.

Let the kids pitch in the BP: Familia, E. Ramirez, Edgin, Carson, Parnell, Hefner. Use Francisco as the closer until the deadline and trade him. Let the young arm who pitched the best in the first half close in the 2nd half.

Let the young guys start: Gee, Niese, Harvey, Mejia. Trade Santana at the deadline and let the Wheeler-era begin.

What's the worst case, the Mets fall one position to 5th?

IMO, 2013 is all about the transition into 2014 and beyond.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

i agree with you ,i'd at least call and see what they'd be asking for

we signed Wright and he'll be here for 8 more seasons but unless we improve the outfield and get more offense out there we won't be competing for the first couple of years of David's contract

Soriano is definitely not a part of a rebuilding effort but he could bridge the gap until perhaps Vaughn or Nimmo is ready and allow us to be more competitive over the next couple of years while Wright's in his prime

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

i agree with most everything you've said except Wright's clock is ticking and while i certainly would never jeopardize any part of our future i'd like to think that we could obtain some significant offensive help that might balance the lineup and make us more competitive now as well as the future

IF we decide to go with Duda,Kirk,and Hairston i'm ok with that too but extending David IMO has changed my perspective somewhat

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

I hear ya, but signing Cody Ross isn't going to turn the Mets into a playoff contender.

If the Mets can't field a team in 2013 that can compete, they're better off using the year as their final evaluation, so they can go hard in 2014+.

<<"except Wright's clock is ticking"

It is, but if the concern was 2013, the Dickey trade never would have been made. d'Arnaud is going to play in 2013, but Syndergaard probably has an ETA of 2015

Edited 12/16/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • PutItInTheBOOKS
I don't get it. The all of the OF positions are obviously a glaring weakness. I know the trade is not done and final but beat writers are saying that no OF piece is included. I don't understand how you don't atleast get Davis, Gose, or someone else to help fill the outfield at least. Even though I was looking down on the 2013 season now with some young infusion I will definitely be going to a lot of games. Win or lose its still going to be a fun team to watch LETS GO METS!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan
If Syndergaard has a lot more talent than Gose or Davis, getting him is the way to go. At this point, just accumulate talent and see how it sorts out later, even if Snydergaard ends up as a trade chip in a year or 2 for an OFer who's better than Gose or Davis.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • PutItInTheBOOKS
Good point. But I really don't want to see Baxter, Newy, and Duda ran out there again saw too much of that last year. Lets get the young guns throughout the lineup. I love the new philosophy though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 86kid

>>>"there's got to be better solutions out there than what the mets currently have so go and get the help that you know and mets fans need to feel good going into the season."<<<

While I partially agree that we should spend a bit more, I would not go too far with that.

While making fans "feel good" is a part of business, it is can't be allowed to dictate the direction of the franchise - especially if it just to give some fans short term appeasements that will lead to no overall longer term improvement. I feel that what we've done that here the last 25 years - unsuccessfully.

-I don't want Wells even if they do pay most of his money.
-Ross will likely cost more than is worth spending on him at this point.
-Bourn, mmmm, not sure about that happening.

But generally, I'd stay away from getting locked into long term commitments right now. We are just now getting out from under a lot of bad money now, and I'd rather stay conservitive right now.

I'm going to let Sandy's off-season plan/moves play out and see where we are come Spring.

So, I agree with you in a sense, but disagree with you also.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12

it's not so much that i'm concerned with '13 but also '14 and out to '15

how many years of Wright's contract are we willing to sacrifice as we rebuild?

i don't have a good answer for that

i'm not big on Ross but if we can get Soriano on the cheap and then add a Bourjos or Borbon?

we might NOT interfere at all with our long term plan but be more competitive sooner

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • edmet
i vote for bourn if his price has come down. the only suitor may be seattle, trust me, he doesn't want to go there. offer him a 3 or 4 yr deal with an opt out after the 1st yr, that might appeal to boras. $10m the 1st yr, $13m the next 2 or 3 yrs. the worst that happens is boras says no. we need a leadoff hitter. the middle of the order looks promising with wright ike darnaud duda, but they need a table setter. and a GG cf helps a lot. if bourn opts out, we still have den dekker getting ready at AAA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • thebobymon
Cody Ross is warning track power. Stay away. I can see him already taking his quick swing and thinking he got all of it and watching it from the box for a second or so and shaking his head as he looks at the ground rounding second on his way to the dugout.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • stearnsy12
i agree,Ross may not be a good fit at all at Citi,especially if he wants significant money and years
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • spydermet

WOW! Can you get anymore complicated and confusing?

"If those are the options, I'd rather trot out Duda everyday and if den Dekker has a fast start in Vegas, bring him up in May/June. Play Nieuwenuis and Valdespin; re-sign Hairston for a RH bat. Let the kids get some PT against lefties."
"Let the kids pitch in the BP: Familia, E. Ramirez, Edgin, Carson, Parnell, Hefner. Use Francisco as the closer until the deadline and trade him. Let the young arm who pitched the best in the first half close in the 2nd half."

How about a more organized plan where players are groomed to assume certain roles instead of hoping that someone falls into the role.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • AdrianMonk

We'll be fine with Duda, den Dekker and Nieuwenhuis/Baxter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Oldfan

<<"WOW! Can you get anymore complicated and confusing?

How about a more organized plan where players are groomed to assume certain roles instead of hoping that someone falls into the role."

d'Arnaud, Harvey, Wheeler, Flores and maybe a few others can be "groomed". They come with that type of reputation.

Guys like den Dekker, Nieuwenhuis, Duda, Valdespin, E, Ramirez, etc need to prove they can even be major league average. They are not blue chip prospects. They need to show they can hit lefties, cut down on K's, etc, well enough to stay in the majors. At this point, it's 50/50 as to whether they're the type of players the Mets can use. They've all gotten some ML experience, so 2013 may be the final evaluation.

• Reply to this Message