• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Would you trade Niese for Justin Upton?
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
I'm on another thread and 5 people are telling me they wouldn't do Niese for Justin Upton. Would you? I would do that in a half a second. I can't imagine where people's heads are at here where they wouldn't make that trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 3bwright

I would not make that trade unless more players were in on the trade

i really like having a lefty to brake up righties in the rotation

Wheeler Harvey Niese Fulmer ----

I would look to find OF bats during the season or next off season

See how the young ARMS do over the summer in the minors (increase their value) and move them for OFs

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
So you would need more in addition to Upton for Niese. I see.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • docguden16

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those guys. But personally... I keep our young left hander.

Niese has all the makings of a front line starter. He took a big step forward this past season in terms of durability and performance. I don't think most fans know what we have in Niese, but I'm pretty sure most GMs in the league do.

Upton is young and athletic and he's shown some pop. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if there was a knock on Upton he's shown inconsistency at the plate and he's near the top of the league every year in errors committed.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
Ok so you wouldn't do Niese for Upton straight up. Alright.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • kinerskrnr
Straight up I think it's definitely a fair trade. And I would probably do it, although I like Niese.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Lipchitz
Without blinking.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
And you're a Jays fan. lol, Ok. I agree with you.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Lipchitz
MVP caliber OF'ers are exponentially more valuable than 2/3 SP's.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
I agree completely. I said in another thread, maybe we could flip Snydegaard, Niese, and Flores for Upton, which I didn't think was enough, and had 5 or 6 people telling me Upton isn't even worth Niese.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
I thought I was losing my mind. I hear 5 or 6 people tell me the Dbacks would have to add something along with Upton for Niese.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • Lipchitz
That's a little more than I think it should take. However the Mets aren't in a position to win now, they are better off waiting for those guys to develop at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686

Yeah but Upton is only 25. You get his age 25-30 seasons if you lock him up long term. I would definitely make that trade.

Niese is nice but he profiles more as a #3 and he's not really a true power pitcher. He's more just an elite #3. And there's no telling if Syndegaard and Flores just end up busts. So I definitely do it. I don't think the Dbacks would do it though.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • kinerskrnr
I would give Niese and Flores for Upton. And I think Flores will definitely be a pro.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 4545_ajd
Dbacks would be selling low on Upton after last year, doesn't have nearly as much Value as he did a year ago, plus he comes with a decent sized contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686

Then lets get him if that's true. Upton is due for a few monstrous seasons at some point. Putting up an .898 OPS and finishing 4th in the MVP balloting like he did in 2011 is a notch well below what he's capable of.

If that guy is on the market, get him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • 4545_ajd
Pitching is in much higher demand than outfielders right now, and young quality lefties signed to team friendly contracts are probably looking pretty good when you see guys like Anibal Sanchez sign for 80M.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • alex8686
Right. That's why you sell high now. Trade for Upton and when the Santana and Bay contracts come off sign starting pitching free agents.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • spydermet
With Lannan signed, we need Neise. unless we get a lefty to take his place in our rotation, we can't trade Neise, even for Upton.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/16/12
  • edmet
i like upton but no. we are going with pitching. niese has a great contract.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Joey Gallo
Latest by thebobymon - 6:52 AM
All Kirk does is swing and miss
Latest by sb51 - 6:51 AM
Duda on pace for 31hr
Latest by joebatboy03 - 6:47 AM
Random Letters Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:46 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by henry715 - 6:44 AM