• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Need more than what we're getting.
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • anthony888

Neither player is major league proven. D'Arnaud is a career minor leaguer, coming off an injury that cost him half a season. Look what a layoff did to Ike last season. Are we prepared to wait for this guy to test his knee, and regain whatever type of hitting he did in the minors?

Don't like it. I'd rather play RA next season, and see who else pops up in the picture.

Gose. He had one decent month. Batted .265 with a little speed. IMO, he's no better than having Torres in CF

We can do better. No need to throw RA away, because we don't want to pay him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ohhthepain
Thats how it goes with prospects..Until they do it at the ML level you just don't know. It would be the kind of trade that likely takes a few years for the smoke to clear and see what is what. Its more a long term move than short..As is, losing our best starter with this pen does not appear to equal more wins in the short term..But long term could be a different story. RAD is not getting any younger and if you are not going to go the FA route you gotta do something. But if thats how you are going to operate you gotta get it right.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • anthony888
I agree, but we SHOULD at least get some type of major league ready player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • piazza5715
anthony888, Who did you want in return for Dickey from the Blue Jays? Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes. All MLB teams have scouts and they look at young players and try and project their future. This is how struggling teams try and build themselves. Also D'Arnaud who I think is legit plays a position that is hard to fill in MLB.

Edited 12/15/12   by  piazza5715
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • golfbone

The Mets cannot win this year.

Looking at their farm system they can't win in the future either.

All they can do is trade what they have which has current value for a chance to contend in a few years. Not to do that would be a huge mistake.

Dickey is going to be 39, has injuries, and is coming off a Cy Young year with his value being as high as it is ever going to be. The Mets HAVE to move him.

If they can get the best catching prospect in the game.....a position that they are incredibly weak at it is a must make move. They also need a few bodies for the outfield and Gose is a huge talent but very raw. He is the kind of player that could break out and make the team that traded him look bad OR do nothing at the major league level because of the hole in his bat. Either way, his speed, arm and potential for power development (he was first coached into being a slap hitter but now is being pushed into more of a line drive/gap hitter) make him attractive to a team like the Mets who really need bodies. They have NOTHING in the outfield.

They would probably trade other established position players if they had any. I mean....other than Neise what do they have? Ike Davis? I wouldn't trade Davis because his value isn't as high as it will be (I believe) and they sorely need what he offers. If Davis is the second half guy who we saw lighting it up, Wright is the first half guy we saw, D'Arnaud turns out to be real, and they can get at least one or two decent outfield......

Never mind. They will stil suc4. But at least they will have a chance of improving. Keep Dickey and they lose him the way they lost Reyes and get nothing OR they spend their money on him and have no catcher or outfield.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ohhthepain
I wouldn't say we have nothing in the OF..But we certainly don't have enough. The removal of Bay is significant in and of itself..That alone will ensure more productivity..But still our OF is a weakness as is the catcher position. You turn one of those 2 weaknesses into a strength, it likely means the other does not have to be as strong. But it all depends on the level of productivity and the type of productivity. Relying heavily on offensive production from the catcher position is never an easy thing to do. Short to moderate term maybe, but long term these guys wear down..Plus if you are relying on significant production from the C position these guys take a beating. Look at how it impacted Posey and the Giants..We will cringe every time there is a play at the plate..With concussions having become the issue they have, the reliance on high productivity from that position from an offensive stand point is not what it was during a period of time when steroids ruled.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • anthony888

Maybe I don't know enough about him.
Can you see him in our lineup with Davis and Wright?

What type of hitter is he?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • golfbone

Stanton is exactly what others took PEDs to become.

He's a freakin' monster. 6'5'' 245 pounds of fast twitch fibers and he looks like Mark McGuire on juice. Cannon for an arm and moon shots. 36 hr 86 RBI 290 RBIs last year. Just 23 so he's still developing.

Not a guy you'd want to get into a tussle with. I mean....he's big. He makes Lucas Duda look like Floppy Louie.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • MetObserver
You mean the 6'4" 255 lb Duda or do you have another Duda in mind?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ohhthepain
The potential is there..He has made the kind of progress coming up through the ml you like to see. There is power potential there and the potential to be a highly productive offensive player..He also adds a much needed RH bat and outside of some throwing issues he is likely to be a defensive upgrade at the position as well. We will have to see if translates to the ML level..Outside of that fact my concern is having to rely on significant offensive production from a position where these guys take a beating..He has already suffered a concussion in recent years and thats always a concern at that position more so than other positions in my view.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • 86kid

>>>"Don't like it. I'd rather play RA next season, and see who else pops up in the picture."<<<

And risk RA having a bad first half, or getting injured... thus killing his trade value. No way I'd do that. To me that would be a foolish risk - a risk a franchise with limited resources and depth can't afford to take with one of the few good chips they have.

>>>"Gose. He had one decent month. Batted .265 with a little speed. IMO, he's no better than having Torres in CF"<<<

I think that is being very reactionary and shortsighted though. Not all talent hits onto the scene like a Trout.

>>>"We can do better. No need to throw RA away, because we don't want to pay him."<<<

I think that is taking a rather narrow view of things. This franchise is in a transition, and in serious need to add quality depth/talent. With limited money to spend, trading a 38 year pitcher, who might not be here when this team is actually ready to win a WS, makes the most sense to me. I doubt it is about not wanting to give Dickey the few extra million they are apart. What Dickey is asking for is fair. The Mets simplly are trying to serve the bigger picture right now - which in my view makes total sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • golfbone

that is exactly who i'm referring to.

Stanton looks like he could twist Duda into a pretzel. He's a beast.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • nohan601
When was the last time we had a good catcher? 2007. d'arnaud>>>thole
Anything is better than thole. This kids ops is over .800 and he is only 23 years old.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • captainmet
steroid era not a good gauge. teams with good catchers win. From Yogi to Campanella to Bench, Munson, Carter, Torre, Fisk and on and on the pre steroid era shows us the pitcher and catcher are the 2 most important guys on the field. Together they control the game and if he can hit and lead the offense as well look to go deep in the post season
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • thebobymon
At least someone has a voice of reason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
Log off. Take a nap. Never log back on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • jets_mets
Its called rebuilding. You trade a star player for players who you hope will improve to be good MLB players. Its a risk but its a necessary one. We need to fill multiple positions and doing this could fill a very difficult position in catcher for a long time.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546393.18 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet

"Who did you want in return for Dickey from the Blue Jays? Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes."

No. How about this:

darnaud, syndergaard, davis/Gose, Bonifacio and buck for Dickey, Flores and Thole. Maybe even add McHugh. Dickey is being seriously undervalued in the current round of rumors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet

"And risk RA having a bad first half, or getting injured... thus killing his trade value."

We will never improve if we worry more about trade value of our players than about having good players actually playing for this team. Any player can get injured, including those we get in any trade. By targeting prospects for our best players, we will always be a couple of years away.

• Reply to this Message