• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets finally doing it the
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • piazza5715
right way. I don't know what the final outcome will be with the Dickey trade but if Alderson pulls off DArnaud and Gose/other prospect then he has done well. The Mets have been spending stupid money for years with little to no success. Jason Bay,Bobby bonilla,Mo Vaughn,Oliver Perez,Luis Castillo and the list goes on and on . Paying over the hill players premium dollar with little return. While I know it's been difficult to watch the last couple of seasons the Mets are finally building this thing from the ground up. I would've traded David Wright aslo but I can see why the Mets would want to keep their home grown/face of the franchise player in Queens. Building this farm sytem/prospects up and ridding ourselves of bad contracts is going to make us a real MLB player for years to come. I really do believe the Mets are going to have a bright future.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • 86kid

>>>"right way. I don't know what the final outcome will be with the Dickey trade but if Alderson pulls off DArnaud and Gose/other prospect then he has done well. The Mets have been spending stupid money for years with little to no success. Jason Bay,Bobby bonilla,Mo Vaughn,Oliver Perez,Luis Castillo and the list goes on and on . Paying over the hill players premium dollar with little return. While I know it's been difficult to watch the last couple of seasons the Mets are finally building this thing from the ground up. I would've traded David Wright aslo but I can see why the Mets would want to keep their home grown/face of the franchise player in Queens. Building this farm sytem/prospects up and ridding ourselves of bad contracts is going to make us a real MLB player for years to come. I really do believe the Mets are going to have a bright future."<<<<

You said perfectly bro. My thoughts exactly - even with regards to Wright. But now that he is here for the long haul, we must build a winner around him - a consistant annual winner. I think the best way to do that is through player development / youth, and then adding in veteran talent when we have the resources to do so, and take that next step.

This franchise has been negelecting the farm system for decades, and playing check-book baseball. Having to reinvent the roster each winter, and be a slave to the free agent market isn't a sound way to run a franchise over the long term. It might work for a season or two at a time, but it is like building your house on sand, rather than bedrock.

We'll see how this Dickey trade pans out - if it happens. But at least the fact that we appear to be in "intense" negoiations at this point, is a good sign this franchise is understanding the need to serve the greater good / the longer term good, rather than alway trying to go for quick-fixes.

Edited 12/15/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • forceout6
Selling high is hard on my heart, but its exciting at the same time.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • 86kid

You always hate to lose popular players, but you have to make that sacrific sometimes - especially if you are a franchise with limited resources and limited depth in talent.

It makes a lot more sense to me to trade Dickey, than to keep Dickey him, pay him close to 3x as much, and still have a bottom of the division team because we have holes around him and Wright.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • piazza5715
86 kid, I don't post alot but I read alot and I really like your posts. I've been a Mets fan since 1980 and I grew up watching WWOR channel 9 with my grandpa in Virginia. It's not always easy to be a Mets fan but I wouldn't have it any other way. I truly believe good times are ahead and I'm one of those fans who will watch another bad season or 2 to build this thing the right way. I would rather watch talented young players make mistakes and grow then to watch another season of high paid players(Jason Bay) go through the motions.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • metrebel

>> You always hate to lose popular players, but you have to make that sacrific sometimes - especially if you are a franchise with limited resources and limited depth in talent.

As I have posted players come and go. It's hard to lose a popular player, but there are good reason for this. If the Mets can't, or won't, sign Dickey to an extension, and should they bring him back at the 5M and not trade him later you know he will bolt as a FA. You would get a pick, but the odds are very low you would get a stud catcher who is close to or ML ready. the Mets have pitching depth in the system, but have a glaring hole on both the ML and minor league levels at the catching position.

>> It makes a lot more sense to me to trade Dickey, than to keep Dickey him, pay him close to 3x as much, and still have a bottom of the division team because we have holes around him and Wright.

There's truth to the saying you strike while the iron is hot. IMO trading Dickey is the right thing to do. There are reports out there that this trade is very close to going down.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • rey0for37

Plus if you are a fan of RA and his story - then you would at least want him to continue his success.

Im NY, next year, he might of put up even BETTER numbers, but I don't see him with that good of a W-L record or CY Young candidacy.

At least in Toronto, he should be on a contender, and I would watch him or check the boxscores in every start of his.

• Reply to this Message