• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• It's a disappointing trade
Message 546389.1 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • forceout6
If the kid pans out it'll be nice to have someone to fill the giant shadow of Big Mike.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • nvmets10
But it certainly makes sense from the standpoint that it's much easier to find an outfielder in free agency than a catcher.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • Gramps13
When you're rebuilding and can't (or won't) pick up free agents, then acquiring a top rated prospect is the next best thing. Like you, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546389.5 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • nocedog
D'Arnaud is a big time prospect. We need a catcher in the worst way and probably won't be able to get a good one any time soon otherwise. We're not putting "all our eggs in the c basket", we're strengthening a weakness.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ohhthepain
You are also removing our best starting pitcher..So it goes both ways. I don't view this potential trade as a no brainer type of deal from the Mets perspective. But if the trade is made, only time will tell. But lets not forget what the Mets are giving up. RAD is unique in that he has the potential to continue to be effective for some years to come..The Mets don't appear to believe that is the case but that does not mean they are correct.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • nocedog

I've long felt that we're not even close to competing and that Dickey will basically be about 40 before we're ready to even start to go on a run.

We'll never be in a position like this to trade a guy while his value is at it's peak. We have to strike while the iron is hot, and it's extremely difficult to get another teams D'Arnaud type player. I was hoping they would pull a move like this.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • nocedog
You're right that he has the potential to be good for a long time, but we also have to take into the account the fact that he might not be that good in a couple of years. Hindsight in 2015 will have most on this board saying that we should have traded him while we could have.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • nvmets10
I don't think this trade necessarily means they feel that way about Dickey. But look where we've been and currently are as an organization. We're not ready to be big time contenders right this second. Given that, it simply makes more sense to gamble on a prospect like D'Arnaud being successful for many years than a 38 year old, even if he is a Cy Young winning knuckleballer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • 4545_ajd
.218 Avg with a .567 OPS, that is what Mets catchers hit last year in 601 plate appearances. It needed to be done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • forceout6
Yeah, D'Arnaud actually hit 20 points higher in AAA than AA before he hurt his knee. .333 after move up is sick :)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ohhthepain
I don't disagree about your point on where we are as an organization and how that impacts making a potential deal like this..But I do feel the Mets are concerned that because of the way RAD pitches, he may not pitch as long as some other knuckle ballers have. Just look at the way the keep a pitch count on him. Its more that of a convential pitcher than a knuckle baller. Limiting him to roughly 100-110 pitches. That tells me they feel his style of pitching has him getting fatigued near the rate of a conventional pitcher. If they feel that way on a per outing basis than long term they must view the stresses on his arm to be more that of a conventional pitcher rather than a knuckle baller.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • Oldfan

<<"I've long felt that we're not even close to competing and that Dickey will basically be about 40 before we're ready to even start to go on a run.

We'll never be in a position like this to trade a guy while his value is at it's peak. We have to strike while the iron is hot, and it's extremely difficult to get another teams D'Arnaud type player. I was hoping they would pull a move like this."

Well said.

A team that wins 74 games with the Cy Young winner seriously needs to go in a different direction, especially when Dickey will be 39 next year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

You're out of your mind if you think this is a bad deal.

The Mets got a legitimate prospect, who plays C, for a pitcher who was going to help this franchise achieve absolutely nothing. Nothing at all.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • forceout6
...and if he doesn't sign an extension, we can just resign him after this season :)
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546389.17 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
There is no way the Jays would make this deal if Dickey doesn't sign an extension... No one could be that crazy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • forceout6
If there is someone that crazy I hope its AA though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • ohhthepain
A team with 74 wins who could lose its best pitcher..That has to be considered and RAD is a unique case because of the style of pitcher he is..This is a guy who has given us a quality start in my view of what a quality start is about 80% of the time..I am not even suggesting RAD give you cy young type effectiveness for the next 3-5 years..But can he continue to give the Mets quality starts at a high ate for the next 3-5 years? It is possible..And that gives RAD a great deal of value not only short term but also beyond the short term.
  • Reply to this Message